Does having aluminum siding inhibit OTA HD?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I am trying to get OTA HD signal and I can only get one channel to 60% and the others that are close to me are only coming in at 48%. I think I need to put a antenna outside but putting one one the house is not an option as I rent the house and they will not allow me to do that. Any suggestions?

scott78945, yes, metal and also stone based building materials like concrete and bricks will block TV signals. you could try to get above that and mount an antenna in the attic.

I was looking at the T32 Terk exterior antenna. He just doesn't want it on the house. This model comes with a 5' pole for installation. If I put it in the attic I don't know how I would run he line down to my receiver in the living room. I don't see myself drilling holes in his ceiling. I could possibly put it next to the house and feed it through the hole that is there for the central air. Is it ok to be on the side of a house with aluminum siding?

The way you install from the attic would be to first buy a mudring and cut a single gang hole in the wall, then go in the attic and find the header for that wall and try to find a point where you know where you need to be and drill approximately a 5/8 hole in the header. then you should be able to drop the coax down the hole and pull it out the hole that you cut in the wall. Install the mud ring and the attach the coax to a coax face plate and install the face plate.

As long as it looks professional he won't have a problem with it.

Ok thanks. I ordered the antenna today so hopefully I will have it by the weekend. I will post here what the results are and how I installed it if anyone cares.

Does it not say that they can not prevent you from installing an antenna? Is it not a federal agency that has posted this? So at the very least it is a federal regulation then. Which is pretty much the same as law. If you break a federal regulation then you will be fined heavily.

bpickell said:
Does it not say that they can not prevent you from installing an antenna? Is it not a federal agency that has posted this? So at the very least it is a federal regulation then. Which is pretty much the same as law. If you break a federal regulation then you will be fined heavily.
I was not trying to teach Civics here. The regs are not that simple. You must read very carefully. The way they are worded leave alot of room for interpetation, and IMHO there are alot of "grey areas". This issue has been touched on many times in different threads in this forum and I think the consensus is that its very hard to get a judgment against a landlord depending on how your lease is worded etc. but these regs are not hands down in favor of the tenant. Scott, It seems to me that you have a good relationship with your landlord, so you should be ok and bpickell is giving good advice on the install. Good luck--Ray

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)