does it matter how receivers are downloaded?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

earth station

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
I found another DISH double standard. :rolleyes:

I haven't found any posts regarding this. Does it matter how the receivers are downloaded? For instance, in the Quad booklets they state download on port 1 or on a dual lnb bypassing switches, hook up quad, then run check switch. On the website it says run check switch, then download. In the receiver manuals the pink page says download, then check switch. It doesn't make sense when half the company says do it this way, and the other half says this way. I was just curious if the initial download process is of any importance. It seems to me that when I download new receivers on a dual lnb without any switches I seem to have less trouble with them.

I'd like to know everyone's experiences.

No.

All receivers default to 119. At one time, you could download from 61.5. I don't know if you still can. I haven't done a lone Sky Angel install in several years.

You can still download from 61.5 at least I did a few months ago. Also you can download from 110 if for some odd resaon anybody is interested.

I downloaded my 508 from 121 - I was surprised... I suspect the software is spooled on must of the slots... (I just had my 'old' FSA dish hooked up to 121 and the receiver took a software download from there - a couple of days later I added 110 for the EEPG....).
It's kind of strange that the software is on most SATs but the EEPG is not. To me the EEPG certainly takes much less bandwidth from a SAT compared to spooling all software...

geobernd said:
I downloaded my 508 from 121 - I was surprised... I suspect the software is spooled on must of the slots... (I just had my 'old' FSA dish hooked up to 121 and the receiver took a software download from there - a couple of days later I added 110 for the EEPG....).
It's kind of strange that the software is on most SATs but the EEPG is not. To me the EEPG certainly takes much less bandwidth from a SAT compared to spooling all software...
EVERY receiver in EVERY configuration needs software.

Only DVRs require (or can use) the EEPG, and I'll bet a donut there's damn few DVRs that don't have 110 available to them.

SimpleSimon said:
Only DVRs require (or can use) the EEPG, and I'll bet a donut there's damn few DVRs that don't have 110 available to them.

can I take a choco donut?

What about our friends in Alaska...I hear its a bugger to get 110 due to low elevation :)

I know what you mean Simon...unless you have limitations, having a DVR and not access to 110 is crazy

Thanks for the replies,

I know you can download from any of the satellite slots, but that wasn't my question. I'm wondering about the download process. i.e. do the majority of you install a receiver in a complete setup with Twin/Quad/Switches, check switch, then download, or any of the other ways previously mentioned.

I find it bizarre all the ways mentioned come from the same source. Echostar Technologies Corp.'s name is on all documentation about downloading receivers, and the process is different from each one completely contradicting themselves.

I wonder if this happens within Microsoft? :rolleyes: just a thought.

earth station said:
Thanks for the replies,

I know you can download from any of the satellite slots, but that wasn't my question. I'm wondering about the download process. i.e. do the majority of you install a receiver in a complete setup with Twin/Quad/Switches, check switch, then download, or any of the other ways previously mentioned.

I find it bizarre all the ways mentioned come from the same source. Echostar Technologies Corp.'s name is on all documentation about downloading receivers, and the process is different from each one completely contradicting themselves.

I wonder if this happens within Microsoft? :rolleyes: just a thought.
I've been slammed for saying this before, but, have you ever heard me talk about the "Redmond Rejects"? :D

Jason

The manuals say that you should do the download from the 119 without any switch, but I always install everything and run the switch test and it always works. The main reason for that was that the 721 has a problem taking an initial download from the DP Quad since the logic that recognizes the DP Quad from the DP Twin wasn't there. Other than that, I have never had a problem downloading any reciever after doing a switch check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts