Does MPEG-4 mean less artifacts in the picture?

mattbp

Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
In a layman's terms; do you feel Dish Network's MPEG4 implementation will mean less artifacts from the compression? Maybe MPEG4 will allow them to _maintain_ the current level of artifacts while increasing channels (especially HD content)?

Should I even care (too far out)?

Not necessarily. PQ is a function of the amount of compression used; MPEG4 is not necessarily any "better looking" than MPEG2, it is just more efficient at compressing a bitstream. If I had to guess, I would say that the DN PQ will not become any better when/if they switch to MPEG4 - they're just going to cram more channels into the same bandwidth.

sullivbt said:
Not necessarily. PQ is a function of the amount of compression used; MPEG4 is not necessarily any "better looking" than MPEG2, it is just more efficient at compressing a bitstream. If I had to guess, I would say that the DN PQ will not become any better when/if they switch to MPEG4 - they're just going to cram more channels into the same bandwidth.

I agree, or it will look ok for a while like when dish first came out, but then the over compression will start again and I will laugh at my buddys with dish/dtv and hug the pole for my big dish lol...

Speaking of PQ, has anyone noticed that the Travel Channel looks even more fuzzy/blurry compared to the other SD?

Obviously, MPEG4 isn't going to fix that (whenever E* goes to MPEG4). I wrote them about it and received a nice reply stating that they'd look into the picture quality on that channel. I was just curious as to whether anyone else had noticed the same fuzzy/blurry PQ I have on 215?