Does Pro Switch 44 really need power insertion

EENAU

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Northern Arizona
I got back from a couple of weeks away and the receivers had no signal. I traced the problem to a broken contact on the line from the 508 to input 1 which had the power inserter on it. It was dark, so as a quick solution for the night, I moved the 622 line to input 1 with the intention of moving the power inserter when I got off the roof. Lo and behold, both the 622 and the 722 on input 2 were working fine without the power inserter. Apparently the newer receivers will drive the switch without the power inserter. Can I just hook the 508 up to input 3 now and expect it to work? Does anyone know?

The SW44 requires 19 volts to run, whereas the other switches only require 11.7 volts. DP and DPP receivers will put out 19 volts. If the receiver is close enough to the SW44 you won't have any problems, if it is further away you start to lose voltage and may have intermittent issues. That is where the power inserter comes in, since it outputs 24 volts and can carry enough voltage on longer cable runs.

Did a 1000+ one time with a DPP 44 switch and a 211k. The system would not function with the power inserter plugged in. Very weird.

The SW44 requires 19 volts to run, whereas the other switches only require 11.7 volts. DP and DPP receivers will put out 19 volts. If the receiver is close enough to the SW44 you won't have any problems, if it is further away you start to lose voltage and may have intermittent issues. That is where the power inserter comes in, since it outputs 24 volts and can carry enough voltage on longer cable runs.

Did you mean a DPP44 a SW44 is a Legacy switch that doseb't require a power supply and I believe is out of production?:):):)

I only said SW44 because it's easier to type on my phone, and because hardly anybody talks about legacy switches anymore except the SW21

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts