Does swapping the 811 out make A difference?

GaryPen said:
I think there are people that are just not as critical in regard to picture quality. They just don't see any issues, or do but don't care.

Amen to that... my wife honestly doesn't see any difference in quality between a VHS tape and a DVD.

snathanb said:
Amen to that... my wife honestly doesn't see any difference in quality between a VHS tape and a DVD.

This is very true.. However, I do care about PQ and am very aware of it before I am chalked up to being a VHS is the same as DVD camp. ;)

I also know there are people that have HD receivers and had svideo hooked up thinking they were getting HD. My neighbor is one.. Does not see the difference in Component DVD vs. svideo.. That also could be part of the reason why the differening in PQ opinions on the 811, but I think there are other reasons why the wide range of opinions.

I think the main reason why we are seeing different picture quality problems is Dish quality control when they build the receivers. Some get good boxes and some don't. It is really the luck of the draw. The same can be true of software versions. The Dish advanced tech told me today that the bootstrap versions and sometimes the software versions can be different on the same receiver like the 721 and it can have problems on some receivers with Dish home applications not working and other 721s with a different boot strap version have it working fine. I didn't know this was possible. I guess the same can be for the 811. Either way my experience with the 811 was very bad when it came to the crushing blacks problems and it spread to all of the outputs, both sd and hd. I guess I had the software and boot strap version with all the problems. Maybe the people with good experiences should post their software version and boot strap versions and people can compare.

MikeD-C05 said:
I think the main reason why we are seeing different picture quality problems is Dish quality control when they build the receivers. Some get good boxes and some don't. It is really the luck of the draw. The same can be true of software versions. The Dish advanced tech told me today that the bootstrap versions and sometimes the software versions can be different on the same receiver like the 721 and it can have problems on some receivers with Dish home applications not working and other 721s with a different boot strap version have it working fine. I didn't know this was possible. I guess the same can be for the 811. Either way my experience with the 811 was very bad when it came to the crushing blacks problems and it spread to all of the outputs, both sd and hd. I guess I had the software and boot strap version with all the problems. Maybe the people with good experiences should post their software version and boot strap versions and people can compare.

Well I think there is a thread that tried to determine if it was related to LABD vs LADD, and there did not seem to be a pattern. I have LADD. As for quality control, that is a possible scenario. I doubt it is the only reason for the differing opinions. I really think it is a combination of both internal and external factors. PQ is subjective. Some like the Cinematic feel that the Grand Wega II offers while others fill it is too soft.

Here is my set up

BootStrap/Firmware: LADD
Software: 2.67
Connection: DVI
TV: Sony GW II (LCD)
ISF Calibrated: No
Any Previous HD tuner experience: 6000 hooked into component.
Format: 16x9. Always watch at Full. Never stretch picture.
Picture: Tend to watch most material in Mild mode. I do find that changing pictures modes affect perceived PQ.

In my case my 811 is providing a better HD picture, but then again I have not had the 6000 since December so maybe my memory is fading and I am adjusting to the 811.

When people first see an Dish picture, they may notice the artifacts. I did. However, as time goes on your mind overlooks it and you stop noticing it as much. Maybe this is what has happened to me with my 811. Hard to say since I don't have a 6000 to do A/B comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)