Does the 40.0 Remote emit an IR signal?

barryaz1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Scottsdale AZ
I'm trying to use an old learning remote (Marantz) that has to learn the various commands. Does the 40.0 remote actually emit IR for the HWS, or only for the other devices,e.g. the TV. I did set Enable IR on the HWS, but I suspect the 40.0 remote does emit IR. I have a Logitech that I don't actually like or use. I'm thinking I might have to set that up for the HWS, and then use that to teach the Marantz.

Ebay a Dish 20.0 IR remote remote. This is the same remote a 722/722K uses and is compatible with the Hopper in IR mode. Should be able to pick one up for less than $10 and use it to teach the Marantz.

Ebay a Dish 20.0 IR remote remote. This is the same remote a 722/722K uses and is compatible with the Hopper in IR mode. Should be able to pick one up for less than $10 and use it to teach the Marantz.

Should be perfect. I have a few 20.0 Remotes around. I don't remember - does the 20.0 have to be "told" to emit for a specific Receiver?

Great, no cost then.

All Hoppers and Joeys use the same IR remote address - 1 I think. Google on how to change the remote address if your not sure.

I think I remember but don't have one handy to test with right now and don't want to pass along bad advice that will live forever in the forum.

This is where the Harmonies make it so EASY. Emits IR and Hopper responds fine (as it does for my Slingbox) and it eliminates any pain of "learning."

I do have an older Harmony - an 880, and it's so small that it's a pain to read for these older eyes. So for now I'll try the Marantz, the original "Remote of the Gods." Just can't really spring for a larger, newer Harmony:oldfrown

I have a HWS and have used a Harmony 890 quite happily for several years. It emits UHF that goes to the little transmitter that sends IR through mousetails to each of my components. I need the UHF ability due to my entertainment center plus listening to the Dish outside. HOW can I get the Harmony to talk to all my equipment, including the Hopper, on UHF? IR won't work on the Hopper, but it will on everything else. I want to be able to use all of the "Play TV", "Listen to Dish Outdoors" stuff that is programmed now (from my old 622).

IR DOES work on the Hopper. You just need to go to the remote manager menu and turn on IR. After you do that any remote that uses IR address #1 will control the Hopper.
What I mean is that I want the Harmony 890's UHF to be able to also control the HWS's UHF. This will allow me to do all the one-button viewing/listening options through the 890. Even if I use both remotes in UHF mode, I'll lose the one button feature from the 890. I currently have the Hopper's remote on IR, but that doesn't work when I go outside. Is their any way for the Harmony's UHF remote signal to work with the HWS's UHF receiver so that it can all be used by the 890 from anywhere I want?

you said your harmony sends its uhf to an IR mousetail device so it should works that way.

You might want to program your Harmony as if it's a 722, which is the 20.0 remote and what I used to Teach my old Marantz remote. And it works fine on the HWS.

The 890 UHF can NEVER directly control the Hopper series. Different RF entirely.

But the 890 IR can control it, once the feature is activated on the Hopper.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I do have an older Harmony - an 880, and it's so small that it's a pain to read for these older eyes. So for now I'll try the Marantz, the original "Remote of the Gods." Just can't really spring for a larger, newer Harmony:oldfrown

May I suggest the Harmony Ultimate One. Yes, it is EXPENSIVE, but my elderly mother LOVES it because it has a large bright display and she can turn on and off all components (programmed, of course, for greater ease). I've not regretted spending the $$$ to get it. It works great for us and she can read it clearly. Harmony Ultimate One is great for those with elderly vision. Sometimes life is worth an upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)