Does the 811 upconvert ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Georg Matthews

Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
I have a Sony KD- 34XBR960 and i have the 811 hooked up via componet cables.
I have noticed that when I set the 811 HDTV mode to 1080i that no matter what channel or program I have on the 960 reads it as 1080i.
Does the 811 upconvert to 1080i when set at 1080i ?
Should I leave the 811 setting at 1080i all the time ?
what is the best set up for this combination ?
Thanks Georg

Yes the 811 upconverts to 1 of three user specified output res (480p, 720p, 1080i thru the YPrPb or DVI ouputs), in fact it has two composite inputs on the back-panel that are also upconverted. Though many will argue the actualy performance of the 811's upconversion abilities, in fact many users rate the 811's back-panel composite inputs upconversion to be poor to marginal.

Jason

nippjas said:
Yes the 811 upconverts to 1 of three user specified output res (480p, 720p, 1080i thru the YPrPb or DVI ouputs), in fact it has two composite inputs on the back-panel that are also upconverted. Though many will argue the actualy performance of the 811's upconversion abilities, in fact many users rate the 811's back-panel composite inputs upconversion to be poor to marginal.

Jason
Interesting, Jason! Question -- I'm using DVI output to my Sony 32" 4:3 HD monitor and have the 811 set to 1080i. When I'm tuned to non-HD channels, I get bars on all four sides of the picture, which I can understand now, due to the upconversion in the 811. I can get full screen on these channels using the S-Video output of the 811 (but I've run out of inputs to the TV :) ). I haven't experimented with changing the 811 to 480p to see if that gives full screen on the TV. That seems to be a bit of a pain. Any ideas?

Charlie

Cholly said:
Interesting, Jason! Question -- I'm using DVI output to my Sony 32" 4:3 HD monitor and have the 811 set to 1080i. When I'm tuned to non-HD channels, I get bars on all four sides of the picture, which I can understand now, due to the upconversion in the 811. I can get full screen on these channels using the S-Video output of the 811 (but I've run out of inputs to the TV :) ). I haven't experimented with changing the 811 to 480p to see if that gives full screen on the TV. That seems to be a bit of a pain. Any ideas?

Charlie
When they enable the SH/HD button to toggle output res this will become alot easier to manage. But yes, change your res and watch as your letterboxed picture miraculously disappears...Unfortunately this the only way around the issue for some users...Notice I say some...It's a deep comment and I will end it there.

Jason

Cholly said:
I haven't experimented with changing the 811 to 480p to see if that gives full screen on the TV. That seems to be a bit of a pain. Any ideas?

Charlie

This works great on my sony 36" 4:3..... Although its not too big of a pain- the button switching feature would be nice! I'm glad that I got bored one day and played around around with it!

The 811 does upconvert and provides much improved VCR PQ. I record off the Composite Out and feed back to the 811 on Composite In, then view my Sammy DLP via DVI or S-Video with excellent results. My Sammy also upconverts Composite inputs, but is one of those digital TVs that can't handle the instability of a VCR signal (jumpiness and color distortion), so the 811 serves me well here. However, it does seem that the 811 upconverts better when set to 1080i than either 720p or 480p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)