Does the Directv data stream produce...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Deno

Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
any sort of information that tells one if the dish is to the left or right (single LNB) of being "spot on" as far as aiming the dish for tuning?

Let me explain further...there are several commerical devices on the market that are installed aboard boats and yachts that will track and hold steady the azmuth of the satellite as the boat turns (anchored in calm water...i.e. fixed elevation). Many of these devices use an electronic compass that feeds data to a microprocessor which in turn tell the motor which way to turn and how much turning to do. This is done with 1 degree of accuracy.

I have as a hobby, made several of this devices with my own design, and does a very good job. However, the electronic compass is expensive. Now, having bought one of the electronic tuning devices that goes into the coax for tuning to get the dish pointed in the right direction to start with, I was just wondering if their is additional data coming down that could be processed to indicate the dish is off center to the left or right.

If so, this data could be used to tell the drive motor to turn in the other direction to keep the dish pointed in the right direction as the boat/yacht swings back and forth on its anchor. This would eliminate the need to buy and electronic compass, and produce a device that might be more accurate then 1 degree.

So, any of you data buffs got any knowledge of the incoming data stream as far as signal strength and direction. It is easy to hack the little electronic pointing devices that one can buy for pointing the dish for maximum signal strength and feed this strength info into a processor, but I need information (data) that would tell me (the processor) which way to turn the dish...clockwise or counter clockwise.

Any thoughts...

Deno

It is a device from Perfect 10 Satellite Distributing (1-800-205-8620). Model type is Digisat II.

Deno

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)