Does the Dish Anywhere app work over Lightning to HDMI adapter?

Zorlac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Iowa
I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone XR and would like to connect to a TV using the lightning HDMI adapter to stream the Polish channels I have.

However I read that some apps like Netflix or Hulu won't work. Before I buy the adapter is this also the case with the Anywhere app? I came across a thread from 2016 saying it does work, but then I came across a post made this year on Apple's support forum saying it is restricted. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone XR and would like to connect to a TV using the lightning HDMI adapter to stream the Polish channels I have.

However I read that some apps like Netflix or Hulu won't work. Before I buy the adapter is this also the case with the Anywhere app? I came across a thread from 2016 saying it does work, but then I came across a post made this year on Apple's support forum saying it is restricted. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!
Correct - I can confirm there are restrictions. When I go lightning to HDMI, the Dish Anywhere menu appears fine on the TV, but when I go to play a channel, all I get is a black screen with audio coming out of my TV and no video on the iPhone. When I unplug it as the video is streaming, the video immediately plays on my iPhone. Plus the lightning cable back in and the video stops playing on my iPhone and all I get is the black screen on the TV with the sound. I never receive an error, but it is the same for most channels. There are a couple of random channels that do work, but I only found two that worked out of the 15ish I tried.

I have an iPhone SE if that makes a difference.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and the dongle. Here are my findings. If you watch a channel that doesn’t have the streaming icon, it works. If you watch a channel with the streaming icon it will not, unless you click the “i” and find it live and choose watch live. It’s easier to cast or use airplay if you have that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and the dongle. Here are my findings. If you watch a channel that doesn’t have the streaming icon, it works. If you watch a channel with the streaming icon it will not, unless you click the “i” and find it live and choose watch live. It’s easier to cast or use airplay if you have that option.

Do you get video or only sound? When I did it, it worked for a couple of channels, but a majority just had sound.

Do you get video or only sound? When I did it, it worked for a couple of channels, but a majority just had sound.

I got both. I tried a local channel, ESPN, Comedy Central, and HBO. The only time it wouldn’t show video was when I was on the streaming version instead of the live version.

The sound with no video when connecting via an HDMI lightning adapter is a known issue that our developers are looking into. There is a current workaround that may help with getting the video to appear. They advise starting the playback on the device and then plugging it into the adapter. This would need to be done for every new video stream.

For Dish Anywhere issues only, we can be emailed here at danyprod@dish.com for further assistance and feedback submission on this issue. This email cannot troubleshoot other equipment or help with any account concerns.

Just got the adapter today. Can confirm it does not work with Dish Anywhere. I pick a live channel (which is what I want) and it gives me an error about it being disconnected from the hopper. Unplug the adapter and it plays fine. I tried casting to my Roku 3 and it almost worked but video skipped every other second eventually crashing my Roku 3 so hard I had to unplug it for a few seconds since it was locked up.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts