Does the HH120 have its own memory?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pestie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Spring Hill, FL
I have a STAB HH120 motor connected to a Fortec Lifetime Classic NA receiver. For a while I had my dish slightly misaligned, so I would let the motor position itself to where it thought the satellite should be, using USALS. Then I'd switch the receiver to DiSEqC 1.2 mode and "bump" the dish eastward until I actually got a signal.

From what I gather, the motor remembers these "corrected" positions semi-permanently. Am I right about this? I want to basically reset everything and start from scratch, but I don't know how to clear the motor's memory. There's a vague reference to a reset function in the motor's manual, but it's written in broken English and doesn't really explain how to do it. I think a command needs to be sent from the receiver somehow, but how would I do that with the receiver I have?

If it helps any, I also have a Linux system with a DVB-S card. Theoretically I should be able to send any possible USALS/DiSEqC commands somehow, but I've never used the card with a motor and I don't know how I'd send arbitrary USALS commands. But I'll worry about that only if there's no other way for me to effect a reset.

Stab motors need to be reset with either their install device or with a reciever with a motor reset function like the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra.

Stab motors need to be reset with either their install device or with a reciever with a motor reset function like the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra.

Not sure I follow. What install device exists for STAB motors?

Also, are you referring to the "Go to Zero" command on most receivers, or some other motor reset setting? I'm using a Fortec Merc II if that helps...

I'm not sure I follow either. I'm trying to figure out if my tinkering with DiSEqC 1.2 caused the USALS satellite positions in the STAB motor's memory to change, or if those two have nothing to do with each other.

If the motor positions are incorrect, I want to do a full reset of the motor back to factory defaults. This can apparently be accomplished with a certain USALS reset command, but I don't think it's possible with my Lifetime Classic NA receiver.

I can't even find specs on the USALS protocol. The STAB web site is an abomination - all flash, zero helpful information. If I knew what command to send, I could throw together a quick program in C on Linux to send that command with my DVB-S card. But I can't find the actual specs anywhere. The DiSEqC specs are on eutelsat.com, but I suspect I need a USALS-specific command.

The motor reset function is ALSO present in the ExtremeView Magnum xv3300, which is otherwise a useless FTA box. I had one briefly , and used it on my STAB hh90 . I never even use Diseqc 1.2 mode with my hh90, strictly USALS , and "fudge" my location longitude to optimize the signal quality.

:)

Brent

Pestie, do a search on "Minipos MP 02", this is a device Stab sells that will manually move the motor, store up to 4 satellites and I believe also reset the motor. Its on their site. That might be what Brian(satellieAV) was talking about. You would think there would be a way any stb could re-set that motor...I had a Stab for a short bit and didn't have any luck re-setting it. Maybe Brian will chime back in.

If you use USALS, the receiver will memorize the locations not the motor. If you use DiSEqC 1.2, then the motor will memorize the locations.

If you use USALS, the receiver will memorize the locations not the motor. If you use DiSEqC 1.2, then the motor will memorize the locations.

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know. And it's the fact that Sadoun has people posting in forums like this that keeps me buying from you guys. ;-)

In re-reading the manual, all references to "resetting" the motor seem to be in regards to sending it the "go to zero position" command. Now that I know all this, hopefully I can align my dish properly now. We'll see - first I have to get the spiders out of it.

The Stab MP01 STAB Italia - ROTORSAT - can be used to reset the memory positions for DiSEqC 1.2 to default. There are several satellite receivers that can be used to clear and reset to default, but the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra is the only one that I have used and can confirm. Unfortunately the Mercury II cannot.

The "Go to Zero" does not clear and default the memory positions.

Pestie, the Stab HH 120 Motor is an excellent motor. Once you have your Motor and Dish set up you set your South Satellite for your location for the Zero Position. Then go to USALS on your Sat Receiver and the Key thing is to set in your Latitude and Longitude. You only have to do this once and the Motor remembers the Longitude and Latitude for each Satellite you select. Then go to Each Satellite you wish to select and and Blind Scan in the Channels. The Stab HH120 Motor then Remembers where each Satellite Position is... and it is extremely razor sharp accurate once you have Scanned in that South Satellite for your zero position. Hope this helps.

The Stab MP01 STAB Italia - ROTORSAT - can be used to reset the memory positions for DiSEqC 1.2 to default. There are several satellite receivers that can be used to clear and reset to default, but the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra is the only one that I have used and can confirm. Unfortunately the Mercury II cannot.
The "Go to Zero" does not clear and default the memory positions.

OK, that's sort of what I figured was going on. I don't really need to worry about the DiSEqC 1.2 settings, as I simply want to set up my receiver in USALS mode. What I wasn't sure about was whether changing DiSEqC 1.2 positions affected where the motor thought the USALS positions were, but I don't think it does. I looked at the protocol specs for DiSEqC on eutelsat.com and from what I can tell, USALS simply sends a "GOTO x.x" command, and doesn't care one way or the other about the DiSEqC 1.2 "memory slots."

If all else fails, my cheapest option would probably be to simply replace the controller board in the STAB motor. They're only $25. I don't think it'll come to that, though.

DiSEqC 1.2 is an older technology and is not necessary unless you want to store settings that are slightly offset. Rarely is there a need to use DiSEqC 1.2 if the motor and dish have been installed correctly using USALS.

Use USALS. The receiver calculates the position based on your inputted Longitude and Latitude settings then sends the motor to this position. In USALS, the positions are calculated by the receiver and no positions are stored in the motor.

You can write over the motor stored memory positions. It is not necessary to reset. Simply select the satellite and move to a new position and store.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)