Does the Hopper have both and eSATA and USB hook up?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MikeMoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Ada, MI
Hi

I"m finally going to get a hard drive to hook up to my Hopper before it dies.

I'm looking at a Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander.

I notice that they recommend hooking to DVRs using an eSATA cable which is included with the drive, rather then USB.

Does the Hopper have an eSATA input?

Can I specify that I want a Hopper 3 when I talk to them, I've read on this forum that the search function works much better.

To tell the truth my current Hopper (the second one I've had) has been glitchy from the start doing a lot of crazy things.

Now it just goes to black and I have to unplug it and go through the setup routine several times a day.

Why do the Dish boxes fail so often, my TVs, Tuners, and other electronics last for many years, these things seem to fail regularly, I've been a dish user for at least 15 years and I don't remember how many of these things I've gone through..

Mike

Last edited:
You must use USB, that's the only way it works. If you don't have a Hopper 3 today it will be an upgrade to get one. There may be charges and very definitely a 2year commitment to get one.

Thanks for the information

I'll have to see if the drive comes with the appropriate USB cable or if I have to get one separately, the description seemed to indicate that most new DVRs don't come with a USB connection anymore.

I'm not sure what Hopper I have but I'm pretty sure it is't the latest even though it's less then two years since the last one failed and was replaced with this one.

I've been a Dish customer for so long they should trust me by now.
Usually if I argue with them they give me a discount of some kind.
I already have Comcast in the house for my internet so I just threaten to switch.

Mike

Hi

I"m finally going to get a hard drive to hook up to my Hopper before it dies.

I notice that they recommend hooking to DVRs using an eSATA cable which is included with the drive, rather then USB.

Does the Hopper have an eSATA input?

Can I specify that I want a Hopper 3 when I talk to them, I've read on this forum that the search function works much better.

To tell the truth my current Hopper (the second one I've had) has been glitchy from the start doing a lot of crazy things.

Now it just goes to black and I have to unplug it and go through the setup routine several times a day.

Why do the Dish boxes fail so often, my TVs, Tuners, and other electronics last for many years, these things seem to fail regularly, I've been a dish user for at least 15 years and I don't remember how many of these things I've gone through..

Mike

Visit Hopper update “fix”

Hopper update “fix”
For the fix

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Quickly Googling those, it looks like Western Digital makes these "special" models and pretend they work with DVRs (better ?). The ones I saw - Amazon, Walmart, etc are all "out of stock" of them too - are expensive.

You need nothing like these. You can go to Walmart, Best Buy, etc, etc and get a simple, USB hard drive that will work just fine. Stay 2TB and under for compatibility. A 1TB drive from Walmart will run you in the $65 range while a 2TB is around $80.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts