does the vip622 use a smart card?

jabarryto

Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
My new in the box Vip622 does not have a smart card.

Never bought a dish reciever that didn't use a smart card.

Does this reciever have an embedded smartcard? or am i a victim of bad packaging?

- Barry
sw va.

thanks,

weather holds we're going to try to install today.

Have Dish500 legacy twin/w 61.5 side dish operating a 3900 and a 508.

We're going to leave those as is since the 622 came as a package w/a 1000.2 dish.

- Barry

Well, we spent about 4 hours and never got the first blip of a signal.

I wanted to keep the dish 500 up serving the older recievers and save the ports on the 1000.2 for later expansion. So I placed the 1000.2 just above
the dish 500 w/clear LOS.

I've been playing in sat tv for 20 years, not an installer but a hobbyist.

Put up 3 BUDS of my own,1 primestar, 1 BEV, several dish 500s my own plus several for friends and family (club dish) and even a few DirectTV. Even a motorized stab for mpeg fta. but the 1000.2 has me whupped.

never had the first blip of a signal.

Any good suggestions before I break down and get my dealer to install.

Has anyone else tried a self-install of a 1000.2?

- Barry

"Has anyone else tried a self-install of a 1000.2?"

Yep, it was the easiest dish I've installed. You have to peak on 119 TP 11 and the other two satellites will fall into place.

What kind of cable do you have running from the dish to the receiver? Are you using the DP separator for the 622?

You must use RG6 cable rated to at least 2150 Mhz for DP or DPP. I mention this because you said you had Legacy before. Legacy was more forgiven when it came to cable but Dish Pro and Dish Pro Plus are not.

Me too, install went smooth!!! Peaked on 119 which is port 1 defaulted. Once I did this with a nice level and set dish, 110 and 129 fell into place. Best dish I've ever had and the LNB being integrated into 1 3-sat LNB is nice.

I can't say that my self install of a 1000.2 went as easily as all the other dishes I've put up over the years but with a little help from folks like RandallA I was able to get it locked onto all three satellites.

I tried the dp separator cable(isn't this just a hi freq splitter - like what is used for BUD/MPEG?), then tried only hooked to sat 1 input, never a blip.

I'll have to check that cable - it was a piece of left over rg-6cable from a dishnet self install kit. I was using it to run down to a table in the garage where I had a monitor and the 622. It was shielded RG-6 cable with new compression connectors that I put on myself - good clean connections. I'm not sure what the rating for the RG06 was - I assumed it was the same as the new roll of dishnetwork rg-6 cable i bought from the dealer.

If the cable is an issue, I'll have to forgo hooking up the 61.5 dish(won't have enough) - which is okay as we've let our SKYANGEL sub lapse for now.

My biggest problem is I had a neighbor borrow my sat meter and it has stayed 'borrowed'. we were doing this by compass and eyeball w/the 622 signal meter.

Next problem, knees aren't what they used to be and I had another 'BUD' buddy come over the help w/the install. He's actually done more of these than I have and is thinking of working as a part time installer. He actually got up on the ladder and leveled the mast and pole. horizontally and vertically - he could've been off but I saw him and the level and He was spot on.

We may play around some more, but Figure I'll go by and see if the dealer can come out and just peak the dish. I do know I can finish the install from there.

- Barry

try using your 5xx receiver it has old stile meter on it so it is easier to aim with and also has faster response when you find sat's 622 you have to play with switching satellites or transponders before it will lock

Well checked the cable.

Don't know what freq it is rated at.

it is belkin quad shielded 75ohm rg-6 cable for CA-TV (that's all that's imprinted on the cable). The new cable has dishnetwork stamped all over it and the proper freq.

I'll try the 508 as a tuner, hadn't thought of that - though I did try a couple
old mpeg2 fta recievers I had hooked up to my BUD at one time.

i'll try to get a sat meter this week and use some of the new cable.

- barry

I tried the dp separator cable(isn't this just a hi freq splitter - like what is used for BUD/MPEG?), then tried only hooked to sat 1 input, never a blip.

nope, not a hi-freq splitter

also, the dual-tuners are a little slow about registering a signal. I would use the 508, get it all lined up... then put in the 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)