Does This Sound Right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wyatt9696

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
hi all, longtime lurker, 1st time poster. i posted this in the tivo-community forum as well. my situation is this:
had an h20 installed today to go with my standard dvr(r10) i was suppossed to get an off air antenna as part of the install. the tech had a ton of them on his truck. he took out his compass or sat finder thingy, and told me i probably would only be able to receive 1 off air local. he told me to go on antenneweb.org and look at the mileage from each station(or tower) he then told me if it's more than 15 miles, i would not get the signal. he then told me, that he'd recommend not putting up the antenna, thus putting 4 more holes in my roof, when in 2 months or so(april 06)i should be getting the locals through the sat, and that they would have to come back put up the new 5lnb dish, which would put 4-6 more holes in my roof. the guy seemed like he was really trying to look at it from my point of view, and wouldn't want to set me up with this monster antenna, and only get 1 or 2 stations. he said he'd put it up, but i wouldn't be happy with the result. so i told him not to put it up, and i'd wait to get my hd locals throught the sat.
does this sound legit, and was this tech just trying to help me out, or did i get a huge hose job from a guy that just didn't feel like working? any input is appreciated. thanks all.
also, does it make sense to wait for the mpeg 4 signal to become available in my area(4/06) even if i can get my locals through an ota antenna, seeing how they'd have to come and install the new 5 lnb dish anyway. i can wait, but i just basically want to know if i was hosed by a lazy tech. thanks.

my tech insisted putting the attenna on a seperate mast and said that as long as he gets any signal above 50% on the attenna that i'd be fine, well i moved that ota attenna onto the same mast as the phase 3 dish and eliminated the extra mast. btw this is all mounted on a bump out for my nat gas fireplace (so very small roof to repair if i needed redo it) i too cant wait for the at9 to come to my area, not because i'd get hd locals over the dish, but because i wouldent have to run a 2nd line for the ota to every room that i'd want hd ota.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)