Does VIP 622 or 722 record in HD or SD?

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
http://www.dishsalesnetwork.com/technology-dvr-612.php

does VIP 622 or 722 record shows in HD or SD?

Also, I'm not clear on this, from the above link:

[SIZE=-2]Watch one show while recording another at the same time
Watch a pre-recorded show while recording two separate shows at the same time

[/SIZE]So, since you can watch a pre-recorded show while recording 2 other shows at the same time, CAN you watch 1 show while recording TWO other shows at the same time? And are those recording done in HD or SD?

that link is very unclear

Both tuners can record in HD, TV1 output is HD, TV2 output is SD.

The dual-tuners can record up to two shows at once via satellite. You can watch shows that you have already recorded while also recording two other satellite channels.

You can record all shows, whether in HD or SD. HD programs take up more hard drive space but gives a better picture on an HDTV (obviously). As mentioned before, TV2 is always going to see SD regardless of how it was recorded.

http://www.dishsalesnetwork.com/technology-dvr-612.php

does VIP 622 or 722 record shows in HD or SD?

Also, I'm not clear on this, from the above link:

[SIZE=-2]Watch one show while recording another at the same time
Watch a pre-recorded show while recording two separate shows at the same time

[/SIZE]So, since you can watch a pre-recorded show while recording 2 other shows at the same time, CAN you watch 1 show while recording TWO other shows at the same time? And are those recording done in HD or SD?

that link is very unclear
612/622/722 all have 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner the 722K has an optional dual OTA tuner. If you are watching a SD channel it will record in SD If you are watching a HD channel it will record in HD. With the 612/622/722 you have a max of 3 tuners so you can record up to 3 events at once or watch /record any combination. 722K adds 1 more OTA tuner to the combination. You could record ESPN in HD, Food Network in either HD or SD(depending on channel selected) and Over the Air CBS all at the same time.

Not everyone has/wants/uses OTA...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

But the statement is still true and helps clear up that everything that is in HD can be recorded in HD on all tuners. ;)

I can see how someone not at all familiar with the equipment might be confused. The main thing is the tuners record in HD, but one output will be in HD, one output will be in SD, and each output can watch something different at the same time.

But the statement is still true and helps clear up that everything that is in HD can be recorded in HD on all tuners. ;)

I can see how someone not at all familiar with the equipment might be confused. The main thing is the tuners record in HD, but one output will be in HD, one output will be in SD, and each output can watch something different at the same time.

Well it's not exactly clear to just say "all three tuners record in HD."

I put in an ellipses at the end of my "fixed" portion of your quote, the rest of which was that "TV1 output is HD, TV2 output is SD." The complete sentence seems pretty clear to me. Perhaps if happy hopping returns to this thread, we'll find out if he still has need of further clarity.

Usually when people are looking at Dish Network they assume that a DVR with "3 tuners" has 3 sat tuners rather than 2 sat tuners and 1 OTA. Should the dual-tuners be renamed "tri-tuners" or "quad-tuners?"

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

What confuses people is the terminology. There is TV1 and TV2 tuners as well as ota and then there is TV! output and TV2 output. The tuners can record HD, but only TV1 output on a VIP receiver can output HD. TV2 out downconverts to SD.

They are just as old as the 622/722's but the 211's are still great little receivers. I have 3 and have paid the $40 dvr integration fee, that makes them dvr's when I add my own external hard drive. The 211 has 1 satellite tuner and 1 over the air tuner. Not much in them to wear out and they work extremely well as dvr's when an external hard drive is added to them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)