Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
According to Voom's website they state the following:
"
hdr_whyvoom.gif

Take a look at VOOM compared to the rest. Better picture............."

For those that have seen D* and E* HD channels..... is it true?

I've been switching between Discovery HD this afternoon on Voom and DirecTV.

DTV PQ is much sharper, brighter, higher resolution. Much less compressed!

NO. But not for long, Dish is starting to muck with 3 HD channels per transponder, the dorks. HDNET Movies doesn't look nearly as sharp as it used to.

I can't compare it to DTV but if you do not count HDNet which looks like Gallery or HDNet quality, then Voom is better than Dish. You don't even have to compare it to other providers, Voom we want all the channels to look as hotness as the ads on channel 999 or the Tyson fight. That's all. When WM9 becomes an option up the quality with less actual bandwidth!

Dvlos said:
I can't compare it to DTV but if you do not count HDNet which looks like Gallery or HDNet quality, then Voom is better than Dish. You don't even have to compare it to other providers, Voom we want all the channels to look as hotness as the ads on channel 999 or the Tyson fight. That's all. When WM9 becomes an option up the quality with less actual bandwidth!

When do really believe WM9 will be put in play by Voom?

Seawaves said:
When do really believe WM9 will be put in play by Voom?

If they are smart and can, ASAP. Just pack those modules up in an envelope and mail it to subscribers. I don't think they have any danger of exploding from 35,000 - 300,000 subs in the next 8 months with $200 installation most Average Joes will be turned off by the cost of having Voom. So realistically? Early 2005, which is fine if by 2005 we also have the elliptical dish upgrade. They could probably give the maximum bandwidth per HD channel until they start to fill up then cut back to what? 10 Mps in WM9?

You know what Voom needs to hire people from this forum to help guide their growth...

Dvlos said:
If they are smart and can, ASAP. Just pack those modules up in an envelope and mail it to subscribers. I don't think they have any danger of exploding from 35,000 - 300,000 subs in the next 8 months with $200 installation most Average Joes will be turned off by the cost of having Voom. So realistically? Early 2005, which is fine if by 2005 we also have the elliptical dish upgrade. They could probably give the maximum bandwidth per HD channel until they start to fill up then cut back to what? 10 Mps in WM9?

You know what Voom needs to hire people from this forum to help guide their growth...

If they could move over now it would be a huge win for Voom, it should be plug and play, otherwise the cost would be nutty to have a tech. visit each STB. I heard some crap that Voom might switch out all the boxes but we all know that Voom can't afford that.

Interesting -- so far the votes are tied: 8 to 8.

I wish I could vote. I have seen no HD other than Voom (except in stores, and who knows what that is).

But still, wouldn't you rather have lots of channels of SO-SO HD than only 2 or 3 in peak HD and hundreds in SD?? I know that's not as good as EVERYTHING in peak HD. But what the hey?

The last two days late I night, I think VOOM has been planing with the bandwith. Sometimes it looks fantastic and crisp and then it looks foggy. I keep trying to adjust my set to compensate but S**t, I think I make it worse. OTA still looks the best and the sharpist. I would like to know how many use component and how many DVI. I would like to use DVI except for the damn black bars on SD channels.

DarrellP said:
NO. But not for long, Dish is starting to muck with 3 HD channels per transponder, the dorks. HDNET Movies doesn't look nearly as sharp as it used to.
Ive heard that. I cant believe dish is gonna give up their PQ in HD? It would be a sad way for voom to win the PQ battle. But even the OTA affialiates are ruining the HD by multicasting.

vurbano said:
Ive heard that. I cant believe dish is gonna give up their PQ in HD?

I think Ergen cares most about being the SAT company that has the most channels, very short sighted.

Carving up HD? Way to get left behind, Charlie!

It is true. They (Voom, Dish, DirecTV) are killing the HD revolution and we still pay them for that every month. Dish's HD PQ is not as before. Even HDNet lost some of its clarity, I believe. DHDT, HBO, TNTHD, and OTA now look about the same on Dish and Voom. However, HDNet is still better than any other channel.

Seawaves said:
I've been switching between Discovery HD this afternoon on Voom and DirecTV.

DTV PQ is much sharper, brighter, higher resolution. Much less compressed!

Brighter? Higher resolution? You're sure you know what you are talking about?

I just got Cox HD, and switching between Discovery HD on each, Cox is better over cable.

I have had DTV HD and VOOM HD for about a mth at the same time. Since then I ahve dropped the DTVHD package because I refuse to pay 10 bucks a mth for HDNET. Anyway, I did compare DiscHD from DTV to that of VOOM's. DTV might have the edge...but it isnt something you could really notice right off the bat. I really had to switch back and forth ...but then I did notice that DTV's had the edge. Its not fair to compare HDNET to anything on VOOM....but I will say the HDNET has the best PQ. But I guess thats because of the Bandwidth that is given to that ch. Of course its going to look better than anything on VOOM. Voom will eventually move over to WM9 and then things should get better. But when is the question. I know they have alot on their plate right now....but I would be swapping out dishes like crazy if I wanted everything to fly by October.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)