Doesn't designated locals eliminate a true free market?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Exclusive contracts are perfectly legal, and every one goes against the idea of a free market. It's not just your network TV....!!

If you are looking to view local news (not network programming), try Roku. Roku has news feeds from hundreds of local channels, some live and others on recordings. I live in Colorado but enjoy watching local news from cities ranging from Boston to San Francisco.

get your panties out of a wad. I was referring to Chip (raoul) who said they cant offer you more than one set of locals in an area.

Yes, but that's not the same as offering locals from two different dmas. Since the TS specifically mentioned that he wasn't referring to SV stations, I answered accordingly.

Southern VT is special - one county gets Albany and the other is Boston and both counties also get virtually all of the Burlington DMA channels, too, because of a special ruling or something. And Burlington doesn't have SD locals so you get 2 DMAs in HD. WMUR (ABC) and WENH/WLED (PBS) are both available statewide in NH, too, despite the state being in 3 DMAs. Directv has the opportunity to do that in many other places, too, but choses not to.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I get such a kick out of the term "Free Markets".... There is no such thing and never will be.....
Everything at some point must be controlled.....
Same can be said about deregulation......It sound so good, but its a joke....
Well there is no such thing as a 100% free market, but in general free market means "LOW REGULATION", NOT "NO REGULATION". Some countries have a greater free market than others. Ask a small businessman or even a big businessman sometime.

I was referring to the significantly viewed channels which the FCC allows depending on your Zip Code. The local cable has both Baltimore and DC, but DTV says they can not supply them. I have taken this all the way to the FCC and been informed that it is a decision made by the supplier. As I said this is my biggest complaint with DTV. i would even be happy to pay extra for the Baltimore channels. On Sundays when the Ravens and Redskins are on Fox at the same time I can not watch the Ravens game.

NOT always; in our area, we have (2) ABC affiliates in our DMA, which are BOTH carried (in our DMA) by E*. Same thing in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, MI DMA.
There are some others, but these 2 come to mind off the bat.

That's interesting, because that's exactly how it's done on both D* & E* in many DMA's, including ours... :confused: :confused:

The Grand Rapids area has two ABC station because of channel 13 had to move their transmitter to Grant so it does not interfere with Toledo. Also the FCC assigned channel 9 for your ABC affiliate How Fritz in the 1960s took the ch 9 frequency and moved it to Traverse City's market and 13 to your market. Ch 13 in Grant does not cover the whole market that is why you have ch 41.

Second there are no providers currently pulling signals from the air. The local PtOP for Grand Rapids is located west of town so their is nothing pulled by air signals.

I was referring to the significantly viewed channels which the FCC allows depending on your Zip Code. The local cable has both Baltimore and DC, but DTV says they can not supply them. I have taken this all the way to the FCC and been informed that it is a decision made by the supplier. As I said this is my biggest complaint with DTV. i would even be happy to pay extra for the Baltimore channels. On Sundays when the Ravens and Redskins are on Fox at the same time I can not watch the Ravens game.
Just because the FCC allows it doesn't mean that Directv can do it. IIRC, it requires the permission of the stations in the dma to bring in sv channels.

I have an idea ....
Everyone has their own DMA, which is available via Spot Beams, with a few exceptions.
Now I don't know what type of rules would have to be amended to do this but...

How about if they were able to make ANY local that is covered in your Spot Beam (as in city, not just network)
Available to you for say $5 pm.

Just because the FCC allows it doesn't mean that Directv can do it. IIRC, it requires the permission of the stations in the dma to bring in sv channels.
Obviously permission was granted to Comcast. My correspondencs with the FCC did not mention that they had to grant permission. Simply said that it was allowed.

Why are you so rude all the time? I am "moved". But I'm talking about the free market capitalism concept, and not anything about "moving". I believe that the free market is where everyone gets a choice (and not with the moving concept, but capitalism instead). I am being theoretical here. I believe in competition everywhere, such as local markets, and consumer choice benefits everybody.

You seem to be forgetting something about networks. They are affiliates. Read that as franchises if you will. NBC in two adjoining counties in theory are on the same team and don't want to compete with each other. So why would they? Their boss is the same people. They may do non network shows different and such but it's the big network they represent that matters most and is how they make the vast majority of their money.

Kind of like how you don't see costco build two stores next to each other. That doesn't make any sense.

Obviously permission was granted to Comcast. My correspondencs with the FCC did not mention that they had to grant permission. Simply said that it was allowed.
Cable and satellite have different rules. BTW, out of market network affiliates are often blacked out on cable systems.

but of course, each side will push to what benefits them. The business will push for LESS regulation, while the consumer will push for MORE regulation.
Actually, I'm far from a businessman, but a consumer, and I say LESS regulation is better, for it would allow for consumer choice as well as drive down prices.

Actually, I'm far from a businessman, but a consumer, and I say LESS regulation is better, for it would allow for consumer choice as well as drive down prices.
Look at the ENTIRE picture!!!! Less regulation drive small business away leaving HUGE guys to drive up the market..... That is the short story....

Reactions: AZ.
Look at the ENTIRE picture!!!! Less regulation drive small business away leaving HUGE guys to drive up the market..... That is the short story....
Not true. I know many small businessmen who want less regulation (like my brother-in-law). Actually, it's usually small businessmen who are more conservative. It's usually big businessmen who are more liberal, like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, the CEO of Starbucks and Target as well, George Soros, and so on.

Not true.
This is my last post on this topic, but if Comcast was allowed to merge, it would have been a disaster for the folks served by those companies. Thanks to regulation that was prevented and the consumer won. Those persons that you named are NOT business, they are just folks like you an me that happen to be more liberal, however the companies they run would love some less regulation, ask Apple why they don't bring the horde of their money here! Want to know some folks that want to destroy this country, look no closer than the Koch bothers. AMEN!

Also the FCC assigned channel 9 for your ABC affiliate
How Fritz in the 1960s took the ch 9 frequency and moved it to Traverse City's market and 13 to your market. Ch 13 in Grant does not cover the whole market that is why you have ch 41.

What in the world ARE you talking about??? And where ARE you getting this (incorrect) info from???
Neither of our ABC's has EVER been on ch 9...either analog or digital!
Our (other) ABC is on digital ch 42 here in Springfield. 41 is the other C/U ABC station.
One of our local PBS's WILL-TV is the station that's on digital ch 9 currently.
AND, we actually have a digital ch 13 in OUR market; it's our full-power MNT/CBS affiliate.

And still...what DOES all that have to do with the fact that some markets DO have more than 1 full-power station of a given network??? :confused:

Second there are no providers currently pulling signals from the air. The local PtOP for Grand Rapids is located west of town so their is nothing pulled by air signals.

Again, you must be smoking some weird $hit dude; I've seen AND been to our D* local POP, which is right here in Springfield at our local FOX affiliate. They VERY much DO pull some of our locals right off the air, except for the FOX station itself, since they just send the OTA feed directly to the POP equipment.
We also have cable co. here that ALSO pull some, if not most of our locals right OTA; again, I've been to the friggen headends here - have you??? :rolleyes:

I'm done...this is bat$hit CRAZY :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
This is my last post on this topic, but if Comcast was allowed to merge, it would have been a disaster for the folks served by those companies. Thanks to regulation that was prevented and the consumer won. Those persons that you named are NOT business, they are just folks like you an me that happen to be more liberal, however the companies they run would love some less regulation, ask Apple why they don't bring the horde of their money here! Want to know some folks that want to destroy this country, look no closer than the Koch bothers. AMEN!
That's one regulation, not many. I don't want too many mergers as much as the next man, but that regulation actually promoted the free market, because of competition. I say less regulation, not none. Actually having one regulation in one place can prevent more regulations that would take its place if that regulation weren't there.

What in the world ARE you talking about??? And where ARE you getting this (incorrect) info from???
Neither of our ABC's has EVER been on ch 9...either analog or digital!
Our (other) ABC is on digital ch 42 here in Springfield. 41 is the other C/U ABC station.
One of our local PBS's WILL-TV is the station that's on digital ch 9 currently.
AND, we actually have a digital ch 13 in OUR market; it's our full-power MNT/CBS affiliate.

And still...what DOES all that have to do with the fact that some markets DO have more than 1 full-power station of a given network??? :confused:

Again, you must be smoking some weird $hit dude; I've seen AND been to our D* local POP, which is right here in Springfield at our local FOX affiliate. They VERY much DO pull some of our locals right off the air, except for the FOX station itself, since they just send the OTA feed directly to the POP equipment.
We also have cable co. here that ALSO pull some, if not most of our locals right OTA; again, I've been to the friggen headends here - have you??? :rolleyes:

I'm done...this is bat$hit CRAZY :eek: :eek:

Sorry

Your channel allocations were set up by the FCC during the analog days. YOU just don't understand the history of you station market. Go to WWTVs read about us and read the history My references was respect to Grand Rapids Mi why two ABCs exist. Not the area you are referring to

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts