Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
I have a yellow lab(madison), and a golden Ret. (cooper)....Madison is a great dog, who I am not worried about running away at all...Cooper on the other hand who is a GReat dog, but also a Great runner, he dosent run away per say but just runs and I am afraid he will be hit by a car....anyways to my question we are moving in a couple weeks to a house that dosent have a fence like we have now. it is about a 2 acres off the road, but I am just wondering if I should get a fence, or does the invisible fences work? anyone have any experience with them? any dogs getting through (fault of the fence, not yours).? any help would be much apperciated as I am really nervous about this decision, our dogs are family!

I have a black lab behind an invisible fence, it works well, no problems he doesn't cross it if there is a rabbit or other dogs in the yard......It's the brand Invisible Fence.

Last week my neighbor bought an Invisible Fence from Home Depot up on Arlington St, I don't know the name brand of the fence? He rented the machine from Home Depot that cuts a trench and burys the wire at the sametime.....it worked well, he did his whole yard in about an 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. The little trench cutter was no bigger than a rototiller, I was impressed how fast he ran the wire around the yard.

The ONLY time my dog crossed the fence was when the battery in his collar died. My fence works well for me. The collar will make an audible when the dog gets close to the fence warning him.

I was up at the Lowes on arlington and saw something called petsafe fence. John, your dog never crosses the fence even if there are rabbits and other dogs? is your black lab inquizitvie by nature?

He has NEVER crossed the fence due to another animal, he will chase another animal out of the yard until he reaches the fence, then he stops. He will stand at the fence line and bark at other dogs when someone is walking them. There are at least 6 houses in my neighborhood with invisible fences and they ALL contain their pets.

There is a little bit of training you have to do, it's quite simple. You will have to flag your yard for a few weeks. Just follow the training video.

Labs and Goldens are smart dogs I can't imagine it not working. Whats nice when you move again you just snip the wires and take the fence controller with you. Buying and running the wire is cheap.

some defeat the invisible fence, common when intelligent dog is involved.

bunny hops thru yard, dog sees it and excited by rabbit crosses fence line, gets shocked but keeps going cause its a rabbit. well he shock stops once they get past the line.

bingo dog now knows how to defeat fence.

try and get some sort of guarantee, if it fails. plus if there are any nasty dogs in your neighborhood your invisible fence wouldnt protect your dog.

this just happened to a good friends neighbor, their dog was attacked and died 2 days later.........

no worries about dogs....just worried about him getting out, how often do dogs get out? its a real concern of mine as cooper is a chaser (rabbits and birds).

I was leary if the fence would work as well. Invisible Fence guaranted me it would work or they would take it out.....no charge.

my neighbors fence is working well with his dog, but he's still training.

I'm looking into expanding our fence line to encompass more of the yard. At that time I'll finally give into my son and get him a dog (perhaps a lab).
Never like invisible fences, as they don't protect from outside dogs. And a real fence is nice, as it allows my 4 yr. son to play out in the yard without worrying too much, or having to keep an eagle eye on him.

I used an invisible fence, Radio Fence brand, a few years back when we lived on 18 acres 8 in St. Louis county in Missouri, with our "yard" area an acre or 2. We had one dog that wandered off and got hit by a car, and I vowed we would not get another dog until we had a fence. It worked great. We had a Lab mix, big dog. About 2/3s of our lot was wooded, and the neighbors on one side had horses, and the deer would cross the yard to drink at the pond, lick salt and share the horses feed, and a neighbor on the other side fed the wild turkeys, so they crossed from the woods behind us to her twice a day. Then we also had an assortment of squirrels, fox, raccoons, coyotes, possums, and rabbits. The dog never chased any of them over the fence. The only thing he would cross the fence for was to follow our kids. You could see him working up the nerve to do it. He knew it was going to hurt, he knew it would hurt when he came back, and you could see him screwing himself up for the shock. He wouldn't do it for anything else. We did have to keep an eye on the battery, because he knew when the collar didn't give him the audible warning, it also wouldn't shock him. If you have a very obstinate big dog, they do make special collars for them. We installed a playground across from our driveway while I was there and the guys working on it were amazed that the dog would just sit across the driveway watching them, but would not cross the fence, which of course they could not see.

Just a few weeks ago I installed it in our current yard. Not nearly as much yard. We now have a full blood black Lab, a very big black Lab. Took him no time at all to figure out the fence. Not that he figured out a way to defeat it, just figured out that he didn't want to cross it. Except, once again, this dog will cross it to follow my son. He had been starting to wander, and I have not noticed him doing so since we installed it. It did take him a few days to want to go back outside. Until the dog figures out just where the fence is, and how to not get shocked, they can be a little wary of going outside period. At the other house our dog refused to go out after we had been using it for a time, and in investigating I found that evidently someone had turned the adjusting knob up all the way and the dog was pretty much getting shocked as soon as he stepped out the door.

A new development that I would have been interested in when we were on the large lot is a wireless invisible fence system. The radio signal goes out from a central location. In the right situation it would be the simplest system to install. Radio Fence also now recommends that instead of burying the wire, you can put the wire on the surface, held down with staples. The grass is supposed to cover the wire as it grows. I buried the wire last time, and tried the surface installation this time. So far, so good, but I'm still waiting to see how it works in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts