Doing homework about Dish before I switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hotrodbill

Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hello all. I am a newbie to this site and to satellite in general. I currently have cable access and I am toying with the idea of switching to dish.

I bought a HD plasma about a month ago and I am now looking into my options to upgrade my other components including service.

I currently do not have any dish equipment but I was planning on buying used stuff online to avoid contracts. I hate contracts!!! They always find a way to screw you over. Same with cell phone companies. I would prefer to spend $300 on a phone then sign a freakin contract.

So here is what I was thinking. Dish 500 antenna, 811 receiver. I only have one TV that I am hooking up. I live in an apartment and getting access to the southern sky is no prob for me. I am not interested in dvr.

Will the dish 500 antenna work with a HD receiver (811, others)?

If i buy my equipment used, can I get service w/o contract?

How is the HD picture? I have noticed some say that the picture quality appears dark and compressed. I defiantly don’t want that. I currently have SD cable, and the picture is nice but why settle with nice when you have the potential to get phenomenal?!

For the other SD channels, how do the compare to local cable company?

What is the best HD receiver for the money?

If I plan to expand my service to include additional SD TV's, I just pay the additional $5/ unit?

If I suscribe to HBO, etc, I would get this programming on all TV's under the account at no extra cost?

If I buy used, what should i look out for? From what I have read, I should plan on getting a card or pay $50 to dish. Also, I need to ensure that the receiver is not currently under contract or a leased unit. Make sure that there is no unpaid fees associated with the box. Anything else? Prior to purchase, can I check the unit online or by phone to ensure no outstanding fees?

I have noticed that ebay, everyone is asking about the rev #'s. What’s the difference? I am assuming it makes a difference to hackers, but do they actually make a difference in performance for the average Joe?

Thanks,

HotRodBill

For your own protection, when buying used receivers, you need to get the R and S numbers from the seller , then call Dish and have them check for any existing account balance, before any money changes hands.

The R ans S numbers uniquely identify the receiver, and associate the receiver with your account.

Bill,

Since you like buying the equipment instead of being stuck in a contract give Claude a call at DishStore.NET (800) 807-0837 he can probably get you your equipment cheap with no contracts.

If you call him tell him I sent you. :)

Yeah an 811 they might not even activate the HD channels for you now. Definately go for the 211.

If you want the VOD features that are coming, you might want to spend the extra money on the 622. :)

Welcome to Satelliteguys.us and welcome to the world of High Definition Programming!

My advise, which is worth what you're paying<g>, is to get the VIP622 dual tuner HDdvr. You will NOT regret it. Seriously, I've had a DVR for 6 years now and the VIP622 is the best one I've ever seen. With 30+ available HD channels from Dish including local HD channels, you will undoubtably want to watch something in HD and record something else to watch later. HD programming can be addictive. Once you have it, you'll never want to watch SD (standard definition) programming again.

Now that said... I just got Dish on Christmas Eve, having switched from cable and the picture quality of the SD channels is so far better than what I had with cable. With cable, I couldn't watch the USA channel because the picture was so horribly bad. With Dish it's not HD but it's clear and worth watching now.

So I've had Direct Tv with Microsoft's Ultimate TV DVR (first Dual Tuner DVR on the market), TIVO, Replay, Cable HD DVR and now Dish HD Dvr. Dish is the best, hands down.

Hope this helps..

What is the VOD features? Remember that I am a rookie.

Also, I am not a huge fan of paying premiums for the newest technology. After all, If you wait a few months, it gets cheaper. Just like computers. A new PC that might cost $2000 will be $1500 or less in 6 months. So I am looking for best service for the $.

Well the HD DVR's were $999 and are down to half that price. So I think you are over that hump now. :)

If you have broadband Internet at home you will be able to hook it up to your 622 and have full VOD service, where you can watch your favorite movies and shows on your schedule. :)

Well the HD DVR's were $999 and are down to half that price. So I think you are over that hump now. :)

If you have broadband Internet at home you will be able to hook it up to your 622 and have full VOD service, where you can watch your favorite movies and shows on your schedule. :)

Scott, is there somewhere we can go to read about this? I don't understand what broadband internet service (which I have) has to do with Dish On Demand. I thought that Dish On Demand still pulled the movies down from the Satellite?

Yes, it does. But the ViP622 has an ethernet port, so you can order a movie or other program and have it downloaded over the internet to your DVR for viewing. My guess is, some of it will be downloaded in real time and some of it, like HD, may take hours to download so you will have to plan ahead a bit.

This info has been based on "leaks" from Dish, so this site is about the best source of the info. After CES (first week in January) the announcement will be out and there will be plenty to read. Expected start date: 2/15/07. It's Dish Online.

No more broadband. Since I live in an apartment, there is 3 unsecure wireless routers that I get access on. Since I get this, I decided to drop my service and save the extra $40 per month. I figured I could apply this savings to additional programming.

So will the 211 and 661 be supported by the dish 500 antenna?

How about my other questions....

If I plan to expand my service to include additional SD TV's, I just pay the additional $5/ unit?

If I suscribe to HBO, etc, I would get this programming on all TV's under the account at no extra cost?

So the 622 has the HD tuner included? Well sounds like dual tuners (assuming for different TV's). Why do I need this if my TV already has a HD tuner in it?

Also, VOD vs DOD.... how do they differ? Seems like my dad had dish many years ago. Seems like it would take time for the disk to tune in the channels. Is this the DOD that you refer to? and I am assuming that VOD is faster than DOD??

I also want to welcome you to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

If you get the 622 DVR, not only does it do HD, but it also has 2 seperate TV outputs on it (one output does HD, the other SD). As long as you had it hooked up to the phone line, you wouldn't be charged the $5 fee for a second receiver, and you can watch a different channel on the second tuner.

Whatever programming is on your account, it will be on all TVs that you have hooked up.

DOD (DISH On Demand) is DISH's Pay Per View section. Video on Demand is much different.

Ok... I did some quick price searches. Looks like the 211 is more in the price range (~250 used on ebay) while the 622 is about $450. FOr me the price difference of DVR is not currently worth it. Esp after I buy a blue ray player. I dont see that I would get much benefit of the dual tuner. I dont even have PIP on my plasma to use it in that manner.

A couple more questions that I have...

Which satallite antenna (physical dish outside) can be used with the HD tuners? Is there one that is better for HD than others. Remember I am not concerned about having 20 TV's hooked up... Just one.

If i buy all this stuff, will dish give me service w/ no contract? Or could this setup be added to another account that is currently setup for SD?

Also... back to the 811 receiver... Why would dish not give me service on this receiver? What are the true advantages of the 211 over the 811?

As for VOD or DOD, I dont plan on using either service, Thats what netflix is for.

You dont want the 811. They will not let you subscribe to the HD channels with it. You need a MPEG4 receiver such as the ViP 211 or ViP411 to subscribe to the HD channels.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that he needs a third dish or a D1000 to get all the HD Channels. Depending on your location, you need a dish at 61.5 or 129 to get all your HD channels.

A D500 will get you the regular SD programming and some HD channels.