Doing homework about Dish before I switch

No we are getting down to the question that has been avaoided so far. The type of antenna required.

Basically, there is four or so locations that dish must face to receive service(61.5, 110, 119, or 148). Dish 500 is 110 or 119. Dish 1000 I dont have a clue.

Which location & antenna do I need? According to RandallA, i need dish 1000 at either 61.5 or 129. Will these give me all channels available under the HD Gold package (Both SD & HD)? Or do I need more than one dish with a switch?

Dish 500 will not be compatablefor all HD channels. Is there a list somewhere of what the dish 500 is compatable with?

"According to RandallA, i need dish 1000 at either 61.5 or 129"

No, the D1000 will get you 119, 110, and 129. For 61.5 you need a second dish.

You need a D500 for 119 and 110 and a second dish (D500) for 61.5. You could also get a second dish for 129 (better). So you can go with two dishes or a D1000 if you're in a location where your HD locals are on 129.

Like I said before, 119 and 110 is for your SD programming and some HD channels. 61.5 and 129 is for the rest of the HD channels and your HD locals (if available).

What's your location?

Ok so a little more research indicates that the dish 500 only pickes up 2 locations (110 & 119), I am assuming at the same time. The dish 1000 picks up these and the 129 spot. So my understanding is that in order to get all HD channels, I need the dish 1000 that picks up the 129 location as well.

How about the 61.5 location. My understanding is that this is primaraly for the international channels that I have absolutly no interest in. Will the 61.5 location get me all that is located on the 110,119, & 129? It would be an easier location for me to set the dish to but I dont think it is going to work.

So to conclude all that has been discussed...
Dish 1000 unit, with 211 receiver would get me all the HD channels plus the standard SD channels w/ local and no DVR. I should be able to get all this for ~$300 on the used market. And for an additional $200, I could get the 622 with dual tuners and DVR. and for $5 more/ month buy the DVR service.

Is all the above correct?

Thanks for all your help!

Your SD locals are on 110. No HD locals are available for Tulsa, Oklahoma.

You can go with either 129 or 61.5 for the rest of HD channels (Voom and more). Your core SD programming will come from 119 and 110 so you need a D500 for those.

If you decide to go with 129, my recommendation is not to get a D1000 for 129. Get a second dish installed for 129, you will get better signal levels and less drop outs. Read in the forum about 129, it's a very old and weak satellite. People are using bigger dishes just to get better signal off 129.

Is the 110 for locals only? If so, I could het a HD antenna for locals and not have to have the sat p/u the 110. I could move it closer to the 119/129 for a stronger 129 signal???

If the 110 also receives additional SD channells, than that idea is shot down.

So my final question(s)...

What low cost dish is recommended for only picking up the 61.5 or the 129?
What do I need to hookup a D500 and another dish? Some type of switch?

Basically, I need to buy 2 dishes, a receiver, and a switch? Anything else?

Im adding all this up and I am begining to wonder if it is worth it. All this to save $40/ month?? I guess it would pay for its self in about 12 months...

I haven't gone through the whole thread but I would just order through Dish Network and they will provide the dishes and switches (if needed) and do the installation for you.

For 3 satellite locations, you need a DP Plus Twin (119, 110) and a DP Dual for (129 or 61.5). The DPP Twin has a satellite Input for that third satellite location. YOu will need two D500s.

Ah, I see you want to avoid the contract. Well, like I said above you need:

2 D500s
1 DP Plus Twin
1 DP Dual
RG6 cable rated to at least 2200 Mhz + Connectors (compression are best).
Ground Block
211 or 622 receiver.

Last edited:
So... one D500 at the 110/119 location, one d500 at the 61.5 location w/ DP Dual HD heads... a splitter (to combine both dish and have a single input into receiver), a ground, and a receiver.... Sounds like a piece of cake...

Now all I gotta go is to fab up some brackets that will reach over my balcony and above the roof line. Sadly that is the easiest part since my brother is a welder. Few pieces of scrap pipe, few cuts, couple pieces of plate steel, 2 u bolts, and some lag screws and I’m set. Sounds like a piece of cake. After all, if i was able to build a 1/4 mile dragster, I think the disk brackets that i need would be pretty elementary.

My brothers neighbor hood prohibits freestanding devices that's "primary" purpose is as a dish stand. So we built a light pole, put a $20 outdoor light fixture on in, welded a bracket on it and set the dish. We then buried the cable to the house. the neighborhood association demanded that he take it down but since the "primary" use is a light pole, they couldn’t do anything about it. Its truly an amazing light pole. maybe one of these days, we will actually wire that light up.

Thanks for everyone's help! Ii almost feel like an expert now.

You can't use splitters with satellite. You can use the DPP Twin that I mentioned above. That LNB has input for a third satellite location.

http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/tech/dpp_02.jpg

or

You can get a regular DP Twin but you'll need a switch to combine the 3 satellite locations.

http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/tech/dp34_01.jpg

For that third location you can use a DP Dual or DP Single but the the DP Singles have been discontinued.

Dish on Demand

No more broadband. Since I live in an apartment, there is 3 unsecure wireless routers that I get access on. Since I get this, I decided to drop my service and save the extra $40 per month. I figured I could apply this savings to additional programming.

So will the 211 and 661 be supported by the dish 500 antenna?

How about my other questions....

If I plan to expand my service to include additional SD TV's, I just pay the additional $5/ unit?

If I suscribe to HBO, etc, I would get this programming on all TV's under the account at no extra cost?

Bill dont advertise you are piggybacking off other peoples high speed internet service thru wifi they are starting to prosecute people for that now, theft of service ie etc....

Bill,

The 622 in dual mode will feed an SD TV (and daisy chain to others) controlled by the second (RF) remote control. You can record from both tuners and watch recordings from any connected TV. It will down convert HD recordings for viewing on the SD TV's. No additional monthly charge applies for the additional TVs connected to the 622. There are so many features associated with the receiver that you will not regret the additional up front expense.

But, you should really consider the lease - a single up front charge for the DVR/receiver with rebates and all of that extra hardware and installation included for free. I wouldn't worry much about the commitment part - you will love the service. If you move there is even a program to handle that economically, so you would not have to worry about having to cancel early.

Pat - a very satisfied 622/HD customer.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)