Dolan Backs Off Plan to Shrink CVC Board

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just don't get this statement that was reportedly made by Malone:

"Malone has said that even though Voom might have had an edge in focusing on high-definition TV channels when it was launched in 2003, that advantage faded as the much bigger satellite and cable TV incumbents moved to add more HDTV channels."

I only see a handful of HD channels on any of the other Satellite providers or cable providers. Nothing anywhere close to what V* has! Whose side was Malone really on when he advised C. Dolan to give up on V*? :mad:

I know it all comes down to money in the end, but IMO V*'s shut down does set back the overall growth of HDTV programming.

Oh Well... Maybe something positive will eventually come from V*'s demise one day. :confused:

Very interesting! Especially this paragraph:

Despite the planned shutdown of Voom,
Cablevision is continuing to operate
the HDTV channels it launched with Voom
so the programming can be offered to
cable and satellite TV companies.

Sounds pretty official to me!

Oh ya, it sure does....Now, where are the channels going to surface at....HMMMM

Was this the big announcement that was supposed to be on Friday, or is there still more to come????

As long as the channels don't become exclusive to cable I'll be happy wherever the voom21 ends up. As of right now the only place that I see them surviving is with echostar on the voom sat. All they have to do is move everything that's broadcasted on the echostar 3 sat and put it on the voom sat and then program our receivers to look at the voom sat. That way for those of us who already have a dish pointed that way we don't have to do anything and we can immediately start subing.

not trying to cause waves but am i the only one that thinks that hdtv is the shows people want to watch all the time? dont get me wrong voom has been great but in my opinion the voom 21 channels were all rerunning the same stuff over and over. yes once in a while i did see something i wanted to watch on them but i didnt watch them just because they were in hdtv, i love the pq of hdtv on voom but for me the locals and all the other weekly programing were what i wanted the most, please dont think im knocking voom cause im not but the voom 21 channels were a last resort for me! just my watching habbits

Maybe Dolan has decided to longer fight because he has had it with Cablevision. So he's decided to wait until after VOOM is shutdown and then he's going to pickup the pieces, sell the shares or put the company up for sale and then reopen VOOM as the best HD service available today/tomorrow and well into the future.

Can anybody say, "Goodbye Cablevision - Hello HDTV Satellite"?

danielle_s said:
Maybe Dolan has decided to longer fight because he has had it with Cablevision. So he's decided to wait until after VOOM is shutdown and then he's going to pickup the pieces, sell the shares or put the company up for sale and then reopen VOOM as the best HD service available today/tomorrow and well into the future.

Can anybody say, "Goodbye Cablevision - Hello HDTV Satellite"?
Can anybody say "Thank God my friends on the board talked me out of throwing away another billion dollars of my OWN money".

No use in shrinking the board now because the battle is over...

I think that Chuck now thinks that a smaller board would serve no purpose at all to him since he fought and lost the battle with Voom. He's probably thinking what's the use in it. I mean he did replace those other board members with some of his own, but that was while the fight for Voom to stay alive was going on. Voom's demise on May 1st is inevitable and there is no hope for it now. What's the use to fight for losing battle to keep the service active for a few weeks to a month, when in the end it is going to get shutdown anyway. Keeping it alive is just going to drain more and more money away with no logical reasoning at all. Voom's going to be dead in 3 days, 11 hours, and 44 minutes and there's nothing we can do about it now except to enjoy what programming is available for the time being.

mdonnelly said:
Can anybody say "Thank God my friends on the board talked me out of throwing away another billion dollars of my OWN money".
BRAVO BRAVO, your the second person on this board to mock me. Also where do you get the word friends from? He did fire 3 board memebers who opposed dolan for probably the entire time VOOM's been around. Geez, I don't think I could fire my friends, nor could they fire me. Whether you call them rumors or whatever, VOOM was gaining momentum with the new channel additions and with litterally all of the bugs out of the receiver and the dvr so close to being finished, I seriously doubt that the 3 new board memebers would have spent all their time trying to talk dolan into giving up. Even Malone said that he would not invest in a 3rd dbs provider it didn't mean that dolan should give up and he went on to say that voom could survive and if it did it would be by be skin of it's teeth.

danielle_s said:
BRAVO BRAVO, your the second person on this board to mock me. Also where do you get the word friends from? He did fire 3 board memebers who opposed dolan for probably the entire time VOOM's been around. Geez, I don't think I could fire my friends, nor could they fire me. Whether you call them rumors or whatever, VOOM was gaining momentum with the new channel additions and with litterally all of the bugs out of the receiver and the dvr so close to being finished, I seriously doubt that the 3 new board memebers would have spent all their time trying to talk dolan into giving up. Even Malone said that he would not invest in a 3rd dbs provider it didn't mean that dolan should give up and he went on to say that voom could survive and if it did it would be by be skin of it's teeth.
No offense, but if you had read the article in the link from the first post in this thread, you might have seen that it was apparently his friend Malone that helped convince him to fold.

So he fired three enemies, appointed three (apparent) friends, and the board vote WAS unanimous. I stand by my statements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts