Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
I keep reading posts that says that Mr.Dolan started HBO and made that a success and since he did that, Voom will be a success,well I did a lot of searches for the History of HBO and found a lot of stories but the best was this interview with J. Richard Munro, recently retired co-chairman and co-chief executive officer of Time Warner Inc., now the world's largest media and entertainment company.

SMITH:And that is a history that has to be written, too. It needs to be put down. I don't want to forget before we complete our interview to go back into some of your civic background and interests. But, since logically, we have gotten this far into cable, we might just as well go on and talk about the HBO situation. Was HBO the first of the major network cable organizations?

MUNRO: Yes. There were previous failed pay television ventures, several in the '60s, but none of them were successful, and they came and they died a brief, quick death. HBO was the pioneer in the current and successful genre of pay television. I think to a great degree, Chuck Dolan, was certainly a legend in the industry. It was his idea. He brought it to us long before anyone fully grasped the potential of pay television. It was Chuck's dream. Chuck worked at it for a brief period of time. When we sold Chuck our Long Island systems, he left, but left the concept of HBO with us. Then, it was really only a concept and a dream. I credit Chuck with having had the dream and the concept. But, I credit my colleagues at Time Inc., particularly Jerry Levin, with the wherewithal and the stamina and the energy to take a dream and make it a reality which is what Time Inc. did with HBO. I remember those days rather vividly even though they are damn near twenty years ago. I think a lot of people really never fully appreciated the magnitude of what could happen here.

Of course, it started off as a terrestrial microwave network, going along telephone lines. It was Jerry Levin, I think, who was primarily responsible for putting HBO on the satellite. Of course, that was the revolutionary step that put HBO on the map, as well as everyone else on the map. We were the pioneer in terms of satellite transmission. I think of all the things that HBO stood for, and all of its success, that obviously was far and above anything else HBO has done to put them on the map.

And those were interesting days, the early days of HBO when we were living kind of "hand-to-mouth." Within timing, no one fully appreciated what it was. I don't think anybody had any idea of its potential. I'm not sure I did at that time. I'm not even sure Jerry did. But slowly but surely, those who worked in the vineyards of HBO began to realize that we really had something of enormous potential, particularly if we could get it up on that satellite and put that satellite footprint all over America. We first did it by sending tapes around, then we went to telephone lines. But to make a national television network by telephone lines was pretty difficult to do. So, the satellite was obviously the breakthrough.

http://www.cablecenter.org/library/collections/oral_histories/history_detail.cfm?SelectedHistory=71

Bruce,

with all due respect you are blowing smoke... an of course this has nothing to do with VOOM Development/News so it will be moved to chit chat club...

source

CHUCK F. DOLAN. Attended John Carroll University. Married: Helen, children: MariAnne, Theresa, Deborah, James, Patrick, Thomas. Served briefly in the U.S. Air Force at the end of World War II. Worked at a radio station during high school, writing radio scripts and commercials; operated sports newsreel business; joined Sterling Television, 1954; built first urban cable television system, in Manhattan, 1961; president, Sterling Manhattan Cable, 1961-72; creator, Home Box Office pay movie service, 1970; sold interests in Manhattan cable service and HBO to Time, Inc., 1973; created and served as chair and chief executive, Cablevision Systems, one of the country's largest cable installations, until 1995; developed first local all-news channel for cable; created Rainbow Program Enterprises, operator of regional and national cable networks, including American Movie Classics, Bravo and SportsChannel; elected chair of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, 1996.

Sean,it was rude of you to disrespect my post like that,you don't like it when persons like txcruiser do it to you,but you do the same when something differs from what you think is true,I did not make up(blowing smoke)what I posted,I posted(and link) a part of a interview with someone that was there when HBO was started up,you were not there,he was.

Here is a bio of him:

http://www.cablecenter.org/library/collections/oral_histories/history_summary.cfm?SelectedHistory=71

Dick Munro headed up the video division of Time Inc. when the company launched Home Box Office, took HBO onto the satellite and expanded dramatically its cable system holdings. Born in 1931 in Syracuse, NY, Munro joined the Marine Corps after high school. He was seriously wounded during action in Korea and returned to the States where attended Colgate University and was hired by Time. He spent his entire career at the company, starting out in the circulation department and moving over to become assistant business manager and later publisher of Sports Illustrated. In 1971 Munro was asked to take over the video division of Time which included a minority stake in a cable company called American Television & Communications, and a partnership with Charles Dolan in the cable system in Manhattan and a newly launched pay television service, HBO. Despite considerable doubt among the board members of Time, Munro persisted and persuaded the company to back HBO and its young president, Jerry Levin. Munro also persuaded the board to approve Levin’s plans to launch HBO on the satellite, a major event in the history of cable TV. As cable, propelled by HBO, expanded in the 1970s, Time Inc. purchased the controlling interest in ATC and launched an aggressive franchising drive. Later, in the 1980s, he engineered the merger of Time with Warner Communications, forming the nation’s second largest cable company.

Now Mr.Dolan may of had the idea of HBO,which Mr.Munro gave him credit for in the interview("When we sold Chuck our Long Island systems, he left, but left the concept of HBO with us. Then, it was really only a concept and a dream. I credit Chuck with having had the dream and the concept. But, I credit my colleagues at Time Inc., particularly Jerry Levin, with the wherewithal and the stamina and the energy to take a dream and make it a reality which is what Time Inc. did with HBO."),but this guy and Mr.Levin are the ones who started it,they are the ones who went through the business aspect of it,not Mr.Dolan.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/L/htmlL/levingerald/levingerald.htm

GERALD LEVIN. Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 6 May 1939. Educated at Haverford College, B.A., 1960; University of Pennsylvania, LL.B., 1963. Married: Carol Needleman, 1959 (divorced, 1970), children: Laura, Leon, and Jonathan. Associate of Simpson, Thacher, and Bartlett, 1963-67; general manager and chief operating officer, Development and Resources Corp., 1967-71; representative, International Basic Economy Corp., in Tehran, Iran, 1971-72; vice-president of programming, HBO, 1972; president and chief executive officer, HBO, 1973-76; chair and chief executive officer, HBO, 1976-79; group vice-president of video, Time, Inc., 1979-84; executive vice-president, 1984-88; vice-chairman and director, 1988-90; vice-president and director, Time-Warner, Inc., since 1990; chief operating officer, 1991-92; president and co-chief executive officer to chair and chief executive officer, since 1993; board of directors, Turner Broadcasting Systems, Inc. since 1995; trustee of Haverford College since 1983; chair, board of directors of Haverford since 1990. LL.D. Texas College, 1985, Middlebury College, 1994 Member: The Aspen Institute; New York City Partnership; International Radio and Television Society; Recipient: National Distinguished Achievement Award, American Jewish Committee, 1984. Address: Time-Warner, Inc., 75 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, New York 10019.

Bruce,

At least Sean prefaced his rude remark with "with all due respect".
That was suppose to ease the blow. I guess it didn't work. ;)

bruce said:
Sean,it was rude of you to disrespect my post like that,you don't like it when persons like txcruiser do it to you,but you do the same when something differs from what you think is true,I did not make up(blowing smoke)what I posted,I posted(and link) a part of a interview with someone that was there when HBO was started up,you were not there,he was.

bruce, sorry if it came out like that. I did not mean it that way. I am really sorry about it.

Regarding what you posted, what sounds strange to me is that Mr. Dolan was not the creator of HBO (in idea or concept or practice) why did Time Inc pay for this and Mr. Dolan ended up with Revenue for his initial idea.

We know what HBO is today was not created by Mr. Dolan (that will be blown smoke on my part) but to say that the concept, innovation, and vision was not his it's not right either (especially when he gets paid and profits from the idea). Yes, he was probably not there to make the idea or concept or vision to what it is today (I was not there either to say what he did and what he not do) but he did started it where everyone (even the wiseguys from wall street investors who couldn't see what Eron was doing) could not see the potential of premium programming which is the whole concept behind HBO.

And let me say that others started this idea in the past but failed completly in the attempts to make premium programming (pay tv) work and it was not until Dolan that the idea took off and flourished.

What exactly Dolan did I can not tell you. Did he put money into it? Did he back it up where no one else was willing to do so? I do not know but it takes more than effort for an idea to flourish. It takes some money and seeing eye to eye and back up with money.

vurbano said:
Sean,

Dolan started HBO. You need to change the title of this bogus thread.

And how do you know that?

bruce said:
And how do you know that?
CHUCK F. DOLAN. Attended John Carroll University. Married: Helen, children: MariAnne, Theresa, Deborah, James, Patrick, Thomas. Served briefly in the U.S. Air Force at the end of World War II. Worked at a radio station during high school, writing radio scripts and commercials; operated sports newsreel business; joined Sterling Television, 1954; built first urban cable television system, in Manhattan, 1961; president, Sterling Manhattan Cable, 1961-72; creator, Home Box Office pay movie service, 1970; sold interests in Manhattan cable service and HBO to Time, Inc., 1973; created and served as chair and chief executive, Cablevision Systems, one of the country's largest cable installations, until 1995; developed first local all-news channel for cable; created Rainbow Program Enterprises, operator of regional and national cable networks, including American Movie Classics, Bravo and SportsChannel; elected chair of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, 1996.

and

Chuck Dolan, was certainly a legend in the industry. It was his idea. He brought it to us long before anyone fully grasped the potential of pay television. It was Chuck's dream. Chuck worked at it for a brief period of time. When we sold Chuck our Long Island systems, he left.

He created the idea, the concept and molded it in its infancy. I dont see how anyone else could say they created it.

The bio on Dolan is from the Cablevision website. I would never take that as fact. CV has a tendancy of exagerating and telling half truths.

FInd a bio on a less partisian site.

vurbano said:
Chuck Dolan, was certainly a legend in the industry. It was his idea. He brought it to us long before anyone fully grasped the potential of pay television. It was Chuck's dream. Chuck worked at it for a brief period of time. When we sold Chuck our Long Island systems, he left.

He created the idea, the concept and molded it in its infancy. I dont see how anyone else could say they created it.

Dude,no one said it was not his idea,read the quote from Mr.Munro

"When we sold Chuck our Long Island systems, he left, but left the concept of HBO with us. Then, it was really only a concept and a dream. I credit Chuck with having had the dream and the concept. But, I credit my colleagues at Time Inc., particularly Jerry Levin, with the wherewithal and the stamina and the energy to take a dream and make it a reality which is what Time Inc. did with HBO."

This guy and Mr.Levin are the ones who started it,the business of HBO,they are the ones who went through the business aspect of it,not Mr.Dolan.
Mr.Dolan had the idea,sold it off,when he sold it off,there was no HBO,then Mr.Munro and Mr.Levin started it,these guys gave the credit to Mr.Dolan for the idea,but he was never the owner of HBO,do some research on the start-up of HBO,I did,and they all said pretty much the same thing,Dolan had the idea the other guys started it,in my first post there is a link to a interview of Mr.Munro,go ahead.

So, who came out first the "egg or the chicken"? without the idea no HBO without the effort no HBO. Can one survive without the other? Idea/effort <---> cause/effect

None of the links come from cablevision. Do they support CVC? Do not know.

Why is it,when someone posts something here that might be different then what everyone else thought was true they get flamed here,I thought that was a good interview that was with someone that was at the begining of cable/sat. TV,then post something about the start of a service that was different then what everyone(I also)was true then boom,"with all due respect you are blowing smoke","Dolan started HBO. You need to change the title of this bogus thread.",or this"Regarding what you posted, what sounds strange to me is that Mr. Dolan was not the creator of HBO"

Never did I say that he was not the creator of HBO,I said "Dolan did not start HBO "
,I posted it in bold that the idea came from him per the quote,but I thought he was part of the business of HBO then was surprised he was not,that is why I started this thread.

create/start, does it make a difference?

Bruce, your premise to the entire thread was to negate it from the beginning:

"I keep reading posts that says that Mr.Dolan started HBO and made that a success and since he did that, Voom will be a success.."

Since there are documentation that negates your premise, "Dolan did not start/create HBO", you feel that you are being attacked in some way?

Let's say that you are correct... What does it prove? Does it prove that Dolan is going to be successful or not on VOOM? Is this the basic question that you want to ask? If so, I don't know. There's not enough evidence to say whether he will or will not. Maybe he won't or may he will. Who knows?

bruce.....you can't win!
if these jokers say Dolan and Voom are the best, the wisest, the smartest, the top of the top, then By God it's in stone!

rkr0923 said:
bruce.....you can't win!
if these jokers say Dolan and Voom are the best, the wisest, the smartest, the top of the top, then By God it's in stone!

ditto

This is really rich. Dolans idea. Dolan started it, it was his intellectual property and idea and he sold it to others. Then some clown starts a thread saying he didnt create it? With this warped logic edison didnt invent the light bulb because its not the exact one you read by and Mr bell didnt invent the telephone because it didnt have buttons to push on it. I suppose the wright brothers didnt really fly either?

vurbano said:
This is really rich. Dolans idea. Dolan started it, it was his intellectual property and idea and he sold it to others. Then some clown starts a thread saying he didnt create it? With this warped logic edison didnt invent the light bulb because its not the exact one you read by and Mr bell didnt invent the telephone because it didnt have buttons to push on it. I suppose the wright brothers didnt really fly either?

You know,I am getting real tired of being misquoted and the name calling
"Then some clown starts a thread saying he didnt create it?"

What was the title of this thread dude-"Dolan did not start HBO "

Which was based on this quote from Mr.Munro
"When we sold Chuck our Long Island systems, he left, but left the concept of HBO with us. Then, it was really only a concept and a dream. I credit Chuck with having had the dream and the concept. But, I credit my colleagues at Time Inc., particularly Jerry Levin, with the wherewithal and the stamina and the energy to take a dream and make it a reality which is what Time Inc. did with HBO."

No where in my title said Dolan did not have have the idea,but he had nothing to do with the business.

Now I took the time before and after I started this thread to see if I could find anything to dis-prove this and I have not,everything I have found backs up what was said in the interview,if you can find anything post it,don't just argue and name call without proof that just shows how self-centered you can be.

There is also a book about the history of Time-Warner as far as the business side goes,if any one can remember the title please post.

People
Forbes Faces: Charles Dolan
Marcella Bernhard, Forbes.com, 02.02.01, 6:15 PM ET

SILICON VALLEY - Cablevision Systems' Chairman Charles Dolan has clearly decided that selling a piece of his cable company's crown jewel is better than nothing.

Encouraged by the $3.4 billion Viacom paid for Black Entertainment Television this month, the company had been looking for someone willing to pay $4 billion for all of Rainbow, according to reports. But Cablevision (nyse: CVC) announced today that it is selling 20% of its stake in the programming group to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (nyse: MGM) for $825 million in cash.

MGM will gain stakes in four of Rainbow's networks: American Movie Classics, Bravo, The Independent Film Channel and WE: Women's Entertainment. Cablevision will keep a 54% stake in Rainbow, and General Electric's (nyse: GE) NBC television network, which owns the remaining 26%, has reportedly signed off on the deal.

With access to Rainbow's sophisticated networks such as The Independent Film Channel and American Movie Classics, MGM gets a surefire path for distributing and licensing its film titles. Rainbow, meanwhile, gains the cachet of MGM's library of 4,100 movies.

Cablevision wants to focus on its New York entertainment ventures rather than the national channels. But it's likely the company also perceived that the value of its cable customers may have peaked due to growing threats from other broadband formats. The company says it still wants to create a tracking stock for Rainbow, but it has repeatedly postponed voting on the proposal. The vote is now set for a Feb. 16 shareholder meeting. Cablevision shares were down 5.3% today to $83.20.

Dolan's Long Island, N.Y.-based Cablevision operates Radio City Music Hall and owns Madison Square Garden and two New York sports teams, the NBA's Knicks and the NHL's Rangers, in addition to its cable business and other holdings.

The family-controlled company is run by Dolan, 73, and his son, company President James L. Dolan, 45. With 3 million subscribers, Cablevision is the nation's seventh-largest cable company. In recent years, however, the Dolans have tightly focused the company by shedding subscribers in order to cultivate its base in wealthy areas of the New York area. Some speculators think the elder Dolan is preparing to pass the reins completely to other family members.

Dolan, who grew up in Cleveland, got his start editing and producing short film reels of sports events for syndication to television stations. He went on to start a cable information service for New York City hotels and cable television company Sterling Manhattan Cable. In the early 1970s Dolan founded Home Box Office, or HBO, which he sold to Time-Life before starting Cablevision Systems Corporation on Long Island in 1973.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts