Dolan Trying To Keep VOOM Alive

Thanks for the find, Lucky. Others apparently don't like you bringing this to the board. But I was glad you did. (Though, I'm not about to shell out the cash to subscribe, heh.)

Lucky said:
According to SatBiznews Dolan is trying to keep VOOM alive. This seems to contradict their report about the service going off as of late last week. See here :

TODAY'S HEADLINES
MONDAY FEB. 7, 2005
TAGLIABUE: GET DISH FOR SUNDAY TICKET
DOLAN KEEPS TRYING CPR ON VOOM
DBS KEEPS GAINING GROUND ON CABLE
BROTHERS PLEAD GUILTY TO PIRACY CHARGES
NEWS & NOTES: Time Warner Cable lost 35,000 basic customers in the fourth quarter.

http://www.satbiznews.com/

Of course it *is* helpful to know if Satbiznews writes about Voom, even if we don't know exactly what was written. Although I don't know Satbiznews specifically, industry fax sheets like theirs are often read by decision makers and other heavy hitters. Their subscriptions are priced that way because they probably have very few subscribers, and those that they do have are willing to pay for "news" they couldn't read all in one place, easily.

Besides, it doesn't take much more than a good reporter, or maybe a small handful, to run circles around big news organizations on specific industries. Working one industry, rather than a bunch, helps to develop sources willing to let you know before something happens, or before everybody knows, as opposed to you calling around asking "what just happened" after you read a press release. Again, I don't know SatBizNews' operation, just a possibility.

Search their past headlines page for 'Voom' and tell me if they're credible. Every single one of those headlines seems to relate to either an actual event or an accurate assessment of the state of Voom at the time.

riffjim4069 said:
Well, I sent an e-mail to the entire editorial staff asking if they could provide us with the complete text or a summary of the article. We shall see what they have to say.
I bet they'll say send $89, we accept cash, check, credit and money order ;)

Satellite Business News FaxUpdate: 7 Feb 05 and 21 Jan 05

The very kind folks at Satellite Business News have provided me with PDF copies of FaxUpdate, dated 7 Feb 2005 and 21 Jan 2005, and given me permission to post these articles on the SatelliteGuys.us website until 28 Feb 2005. The folks are Satellite Business News were both professional and responsive to our needs and should be commended for their prompt action.

riffjim:
Good Job !!!
The article says that: "One possibility (that Dolan is proposing) is to use medium-power Ku-Band to continue the service"

Update: I suspect that they're using the term "medium-power Ku-Band" to refer to AMC6 because in the other article (1/21) they talk about "the medium-power Ku-Band transponders that VOOM is leasing from SES Global". This is technically incorrect because AMC operates in conus mode

I have got to say these guys know a lot more than we ever did a long time ago. Even now I wonder what they know and just don't publish?

rtt2 said:
I have got to say these guys know a lot more than we ever did a long time ago. Even now I wonder what they know and just don't publish?
Either that or they're too good making it up (didn't someone say that they're the National Enquirer of the DBS business ;) ). If you look at the other article on 1/21 "Echostar Vooms Cablevision out of DBS", there is a lot of detail about how the Rainbow-1 sale happened.

Thanks! Ok, regarding the article...it would appear that CableVision's Board of Directors are hell-bent on shutting down the VOOM service in the very near future. Quite possible, but I doubt that Charles is going at it alone, Mano et Boardo, and I'm sure he has some backing. Also, it's one thing to sell off some assets and it's quite another to pull the plug on transmitting to paying subscribers; their (our) sale does have some value. Hasn't VOOM committed to itself to broadcast during the transition? What is this transition plan? Lastly, if they cease to provide service to existing customers, and since Cablevision is not bankrupt, couldn't the FCC revoke Rainbow DBS' transponder licenses and place them back on the auction block?

First, and most importantly, thanks for getting permission and getting these posted. At least now we know what they meant by their headlines.

Using the Ku bands on AMC-6 is an option that remains - the key to that would be having the money to continue service. It does appear that the board IS being more friendly to Dolan Sr than they were being given credit for - putting off the shutdown process and allowing the long shot process to continue. I did note "Cablevision and Voom do not comment on Voom" in the later article.

I also note their description of Voom on Jan 21st had 30k subs but two weeks later it was back to a described 26k subs. 4Q results will be out soon, so we will have a real number.

Thanks again. It's nice to see it in print - even if much of it has been cussed and discussed here. :D

JL

Scott Greczkowski said:
Great Job RiffJim!! :)

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask, and this was one of those times. :D
Scott summed it up beautifully! Way to go RiffJim!! :clap :rainbow

Also loved your recap on What's going on with VOOM? Great fun!! :cool:

I've been missing in action for a few days, and it was a pleasant surprise to see this thread at the top of the list. Can't wait to get caught up on everything...unfortunately for me, still a few days off...but my re-install is set for 2/22! :D

Vicki

I believe the comment about being the National Enquirer of the Satellite busines is more accurate. No source ...nothing but gossip still. I have been in the PR business for 30 years and it still suprises me that just because it is in print...makes it true. Perhaps it is but without a source or even a "inside source"...I am not sure how much is accurate. But anything is possible in this environment. Cablevision still owes a statement to us all.

gutter said:
I have been in the PR business for 30 years and it still suprises me that just because it is in print...makes it true.
It doesn't make it true, but it does hold the reporter or source responsible. You are not going to sell expensive annual subscriptions if you post garbage. It adds an air of moderation to the report.

You've worked in PR. Tell me that a casual conversation isn't more subject to the "you heard me wrong" syndrome than a typed press release. Public statements often include the salt of "we plan" and "we expect" and when the "we will" sneaks in it hurts the reputation later if it doesn't happen.

Whatever happens with Cablevision and Voom, written reports can be pulled up months later. Hence the moderation. The "transition" could go either way without this publisher losing their reputation.
gutter said:
Cablevision still owes a statement to us all.
Yes, they do. But if the article is to be believed, the delay in making shutdown plans and announcing them is because they are giving Dolan Sr a chance to make a long shot recovery. So not hearing is a good thing.

They will, however, have to say something to investers eventually.

JL

The board must have gone under the table because VOOM has stepped up their advertising...not cut it. Doing new promos...encouraging and taking new installs as well as extending the current offer I believe past March 1. I don't believe everything I read just because it is in print with no sources. mmmm

gutter said:
The board must have gone under the table because VOOM has stepped up their advertising...not cut it. Doing new promos...encouraging and taking new installs as well as extending the current offer I believe past March 1. I don't believe everything I read just because it is in print with no sources. mmmm
Sources for each of those claims would be good. :D

Stepped up their advertising? How much has it increased?
New promos? Got to be a link somewhere.
$1 offer extended? That should be linked somewhere.

Until we see an official "we will be in business and this is how" it all sounds like autopilot. Keep on keeping on and forget that deal they made. :)

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)