Dolans Strengthen Cablevision Board

Now is the first part of the deal dead??rainbow 1 to echostar-or is it to be leased back to VOOM since they"have no plans for it"-stay tuned

why does it need to be leased back? All the FCC had to do is give voom enough time let's say 2 months to simcast the channels so that everyone can be moved to rainbow 2 and echostar can have rainbow 1

Provided that the FCC allows echostar to have rainbow 1 and the uplink center

Talk about stacking the deck. Mr. Sweeney..I would guess was very helpful today in keeping the centers open and ordering the new website. Gosh I am 61. I hope I am still as sharp as Chuck at 78. When is the movie going to be made of this? This is almost like the Philip Morris takeover that HBO did a few years back. "The Barbarians at the Gate."

" Dolan also announced that the board will be asked at its next meeting
on March 7, to increase its size so that the Class B stockholders may elect
Brian Sweeney to fill a new seat. Mr. Sweeney has been with Cablevision for 12
years and is currently a Senior Vice-President for e-media with responsibility
for websites and interactive television services. He is a son-in-law of Mr.
Dolan, the Chairman of Cablevision."

danielle_s said:
why does it need to be leased back? All the FCC had to do is give voom enough time let's say 2 months to simcast the channels so that everyone can be moved to rainbow 2 and echostar can have rainbow 1

Provided that the FCC allows echostar to have rainbow 1 and the uplink center
Think installs can get all of us over in 2 months????

1080iBeVuMin said:
The only thing more perplexing than the Voom story is why the bleep these trolls waste everybody's time here when nobody wants to read their posts.
Why don't you guys go watch your SD channels?
Freaking unbelievable.
Not too perplexing...it's just that roadkill is not a big enough sport, yet. Have faith, it's devotees will multiply. :)

While Bruce can be overly negative at times, his posts in this thread concerning the board are accurate. There will certainly be lawsuits, but being America, that is not a surprise.

The stockholder lawsuits will go something like this: The Dolan's used Cablevision to launch Voom which resulted in Cablevison absorbing huge losses. The initial startup costs of each Voom subscriber is enormous and the Dolans used Cablevision to absorb these losses - this is particularly true with the $1 promotion that was scheduled to end on the date of the sale. The Dolans then personally acquired Voom's subscribers after Cablevision absorbed the startup losses. The initial board saw through it and refused to sell so the Dolans then stacked the board.

I don't believe any of that, but there are just tons of lawyers out there looking for anyone with deep pockets. I believe that one of the moderators on AVS mentioned that one lawyer has already been positioning himself to file some shareholder lawsuits in the matter.

I do believe there will be a SEC investigation, but I think it will work out ok. I also believe that the lawsuits, depending on the venue, will be mostly just be a nuisance. Dolan was smart to stack the board with respected businessmen that are very powerful in the industry. Its not like he just appointed some yes men stooges.

The Dolans do have to be EXTRA careful on this matter though. As I posted on AVS, I believe that the relationship between Charles and James is not as bad as we think it is. James has a fiduciary duty to Cablevision, not his dad. If anyone besides a company insider had bid for Voom, Cablevision would have sold it at half the price their asking the Dolans to pay.

As this point, I believe the odds are in favor of Voom surviving.

danielle_s said:
not to mention it's easier for the west coast subscribers to receive a voom signal from rain...2 instead of rain...1
But some on the east coast wont be able to get rainbow2 those few degrees make a differnce if a tree or house is in the way
i think VOOM is not going to be one sat dbs with all these names...there is more to this

if we keep growing at this rate 2 months might not be enough. I guess it's time we start the simulcast and get all new subs on rain...2 before the FCC makes their decision. Besides we need rainbow 2 for the new channels. I don't think rainbow1 has enough capisity to offer very many more channels.

danielle_s said:
if we keep growing at this rate 2 months might not be enough. I guess it's time we start the simulcast and get all new subs on rain...2 before the FCC makes their decision. Besides we need rainbow 2 for the new channels. I don't think rainbow1 has enough capisity to offer very many more channels.
May need Both for a longer transition period,or just BOTH

rang1995 said:
But some on the east coast wont be able to get rainbow2 those few degrees make a differnce if a tree or house is in the way
i think VOOM is not going to be one sat dbs with all these names...there is more to this

Granted trees, homes and other things can get in the way, but i doubt hear a lot of dish network or directv viewers on the east coast complaining all that much and dish starts at the 110 unless you have the super at 105.
Direct on the other hand starts at 72 if I'm not mistaken

Someone said earlier that Chuck Dolan is a great negotiator. Let this be the proof. Ruthless business tactics are exactly what is needed to win. Chuck waited until the time of dire need to play this card. Wow, what a businessperson.

When you go against guys like Rattner, you better be holding pocket aces. Rattner is money personified. No personality either, pure profit. And, the smartest guy in the room, damnit. Kind of guy you hate hate hate on the other side of the table. The only way Dolan could "beat" him is to hold the hole cards. Nice play.

As a Voomer, I love this. Anything to keep my service going. Gotta look out for number one, right? :) Voom is bar-none the best HD service. Anyone who argues is either too biased or too stupid to know the difference.

And as for you CVC shareholders, I'm sure you're going nuts. Don't like it? Then sell. And shut up. That's your only *true* power as a 100/1,000/10,000 shareholder. You're near the 52-week high anyway. Forget your proxy fights and message boards. Sell and shut up. The future is in wireless anyway. Don't you know that?

Having said all that, Chuck Dolan doing all this manuevering with a public company is indeed taking a risk. But he's smart enough -- and old enough -- to know it doesn't make a difference. That's what's great about C.D. right now; He's doing this because he believes in his heart that VOOM is the future, not because of profit, money or anything else other than legacy.

Go, Chuck, go, and please, enjoy those family dinners, because business is business, and family is family, and ne'er the twain shall meet. :)

danielle_s said:
Granted trees, homes and other things can get in the way, but i doubt hear a lot of dish network or directv viewers on the east coast complaining all that much and dish starts at the 110 unless you have the super at 105.
Direct on the other hand starts at 72 if I'm not mistaken

YOU are sooooo wrong look at the angles-- i can get D*101 thats it the others are too low 16-21 deg. above horizon the whole east coast has problems with some of the D* and e* sats in fact if you go back to the beggining that was one of Vooms selling points a sat for the east coast..@61.5

rang1995 said:
Now is the first part of the deal dead??rainbow 1 to echostar-or is it to be leased back to VOOM since they"have no plans for it"-stay tuned

I think Echostar has plans for the Rainbow-1 satellite, they just do not want to show their hand and announce them especially since the transfer still needs to go through the FCC approval process. Echostar did provide some very general plans for usage in the transfer application. The approval by the FCC is primarily only for the transfer of the frequency licenses. If the FCC disapproves, Echostar could request a swap of their 11 frequencies at 61.5 W for the 11 licensed to Rainbow DBS that Rainbow-1 can use. The advantage for Echostar is they get a newer satellite at 61.5 W that has significant spotbeam capability. It is questionable whether Echostar feels that $200 million is worth it for only this frequency swap. It should also be noted that Cablevision, including Charles Dolan as long as he is an officer of Cablevision, is contractually obligated to support the frequency transfer with the FCC. The new Cablevision board members named tonight are also contractually obligated to support the frequency transfer.

"Go, Chuck, go, and please, enjoy those family dinners, because business is business, and family is family, and ne'er the twain shall meet"

HA! Tell that to the Corleone's !!!!!!

then why is voom leasing this sat and not moving it to the 6.15? It seems to me that it would cost to much money to simulcast all of voom's current channels on both dishes.

If voom should move everything over to the new sat and should the fcc give rainbow 1 to echostar then i hope you'll still be able to be a voom customer.

I learn something new everyday, so don't shoot me

who_the said:
...He's doing this because he believes in his heart that VOOM is the future, not because of profit, money or anything else other than legacy.
Yes, yes!

But just the same, he better get the subscriber base up and make some money on this turkey! (I have faith that he will!)

Vicki, you better throw your hat into the ring as the next Voom red couch girl. They haven't had a red couch girl in ages, and you seem perky enough! ;) Go Vicki Go!

1080iBeVuMin said:
Yes, yes!
Vicki, you better throw your hat into the ring as the next Voom red couch girl. They haven't had a red couch girl in ages, and you seem perky enough! ;) Go Vicki Go!

I second that! (hic?) :eek:

danielle_s said:
then why is voom leasing this sat and not moving it to the 6.15? It seems to me that it would cost to much money to simulcast all of voom's current channels on both dishes.

If voom should move everything over to the new sat and should the fcc give rainbow 1 to echostar then i hope you'll still be able to be a voom customer.

I learn something new everyday, so don't shoot me
I am not saying they will use both ,just i think 2 months is too short a time,and yes i will just have to cut down 1/2 of a huge tree,but the higher the degrees the lower in the sky for the northeast.hey and remember the country isn't just california or new york, thats why i say this is just part of the story for VOOM if it survives--remember those Cell tower(my word) liscenses.too be found out later what that all about????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)