Dolby 5.1 over HDMI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vidwiz

Original poster
May 25, 2012
Arizona
I'm not seeing any Dolby Digital 5.1 signal when running the Hopper's HDMI video out to Audio Receiver. Can someone please confirm or deny my observation so that I can ensure this is not an operator error? Using the optical out is a non preferential option.

I also get DD 5.1 on my Onkyo for most HD channels. Keep in mind that some HD channels such as MLB Network are only DD 2.0. SD channels are only PCM stereo.

Edit: by the way I am using HDMI from my hopper to the Onlyo AVR.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes I have Dolby enabled on the Hopper and yes I am using HDNET to test as they always seem to consistently output Dolby on all their programming. (I have confirmed Dolby delivered via optical btw but to reiterate, I need it via HDMI) I still cant get it to work despite going thru all the settings. My PS3 works fine, HDMI only, on the same amp. (a yamaha) I did find the following in the hopper owners manual, page 92, that supports my observations, however I don't dispute you guys saying it works. It just confuses me more.

TIPS
• To take full advantage of Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, you need a digital optical
audio cable and audio equipment that supports this feature.

vidwiz said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes I have Dolby enabled on the Hopper and yes I am using HDNET to test as they always seem to consistently output Dolby on all their programming. (I have confirmed Dolby delivered via optical btw but to reiterate, I need it via HDMI) I still cant get it to work despite going thru all the settings. My PS3 works fine, HDMI only, on the same amp. (a yamaha) I did find the following in the hopper owners manual, page 92, that supports my observations, however I don't dispute you guys saying it works. It just confuses me more.

TIPS
• To take full advantage of Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, you need a digital optical
audio cable and audio equipment that supports this feature.

You aren't by any chance using the Logitech Revue Google tv are you? It doesn't pass it through.

I'm not seeing any Dolby Digital 5.1 signal when running the Hopper's HDMI video out to Audio Receiver. Can someone please confirm or deny my observation so that I can ensure this is not an operator error? Using the optical out is a non preferential option.

Have you configured the input on your AVR to Dolby 5.1. Unless you have that inout configured for 5.1 it will convert to stereo.

Well yea but this thread is about 5.1 Dolby not analog stereo.

I do get 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound. I know it's not supposed to be possible, but it works just fine. It's input to a cheap Phillips Surround system, watching anything that is output to 5.1 comes out perfect.

Perhaps I just let the cat out of the box saying that. Maybe I don't really know what is happening, but when I watch anything that is supposed to be in surround sound it is exactly that. Nascar cars go from speaker to speaker front to rear or side to side. Any thing listed as having Dolby 5.1 sounds just like in theater ... people moving, cars passing, everything (and I don't mean just left to right or right to left ... also from left back to right front, etc). If that's not surround, then what am I listening to that has that characteristic?

Last edited:
If you are just using the red/white RCA outputs, what you're hearing is a kind of simulated surround where the low parts are sent to the sub and the difference between the L and R are sent to the rears. I used to do that by connecting the + from both L and R to the rear channels and made by own low pass filter for my sub back in the early 80's before I could afford Dolby. It's a fairly convincing effect, but to get the real deal you need to bitstream optical to your stereo or use HDMI if possible.

Edit: Yep, Pro Logic is what it's called, as the poster below said.

Joe Satellite Fan said:
I do get 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound. I know it's not supposed to be possible, but it works just fine. It's input to a cheap Phillips Surround system, watching anything that is output to 5.1 comes out perfect.

Perhaps I just let the cat out of the box saying that. Maybe I don't really know what is happening, but when I watch anything that is supposed to be in surround sound it is exactly that. Nascar cars go from speaker to speaker front to rear or side to side. Any thing listed as having Dolby 5.1 sounds just like in theater ... people moving, cars passing, everything (and I don't mean just left to right or right to left ... also from left back to right front, etc). If that's not surround, then what am I listening to that has that characteristic?

That's not DD 5.1 that is Dolby Pro logic analog surround.

Sent from my DROIDX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts