Dolby Digital 5.1

butchd5

Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
I am considering getting Dish network and I have a Sony 5.1 receiver. Does Dish pass through 51. DD audio? I do not have HD and will not have for in the near future but I would like to hear DD 5.1. Are there many non-premium (non-HBO, Showtime, etc.) shows that are broadcast in 5.1? I live in Houston and does anyone know if the local stations pass through the 5.1 signal for the networks (CBS,etc.)? I currently have non-digital Cebridge cable (not in Warner service area) and I want to go with either Dish network or Directtv. Thanks for your help.

I think there are around 4 - 7 that pass along the DD 5.1 when it is encoded. I think maybe 2 or 3 PPV, Showtime, HBO, and maybe Starz. Others will surely add to this list.

You can check http://www.dishchannelchart.com and search for (DD). Like Charper1 said, its all movie or ppv channels for DD5.1.

Even then, not all programs/movies on those channels are DD5.1.

Also, any Network DD5.1 broadcasts (such as ABC, CBS, FOX) are exclusive to their HDTV simulcasts. You won't ever get a SD broadcast from them with DD51, instead they will just have regular analog dolby surround.

Thanks for your responses, especially the chart and the fact that the networks are sending 5.1 only to the HD broadcasts. That was my concern.

If you are going to rent from dish network, you could always rent an 811 and still use it on an SDTV if you don't have an HDTV, that way you can get the HD/DD5.1 from the networks and have your HD Pak downrezzed, it maybe be pointless, but always an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)