Dolby Digital connection

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm just curious if anyone is using the Dolby Digital connection for the 501/508 receivers.

I'm currently using the regular RCA connections for audio but my surround system has a connection for Dolby Digital. Will it make any difference in sound? Also, I hear that not all the channels in E* are tranmsitted in DD.

I'd appreciate any input you may have.

Using an optical digital cable from your sat receiver to your a/v receiver is the way to get the best audio and when you tune to a channel with a DD show or movie,you will get DD 5.1 audio,this is the only way to get DD audio.Showtime E&W,HBO E&W,and Starz has DDshows and movies.

Dolby 5.1

Heck, yeah, if you have a surround sound receiver, go for it! Even the non DD shows sound great in 2-channel PCM sound. I use the optical out of my 522 to my Yamaha, and I like watching its little display change and light up the little speaker numbers when I switch to a DD show. DD 5.1 sound is awesome.

:bounce

I had this same question not too long ago.. my findings? Just use the RCA connections unless you have the one of the ONLY six or so channels that actually use DD. I DO have showtime and HBO now.. and (only) two of each use DD.. so I indeed do get 5.1 surround digital sound.. but only on those 4 channels.. the rest of the premium channels (each has many) do NOT carry it.. so if you don't have HBO or SHO.. forget the digital.. there's NO way you will be able to tell the difference. RCA is just FINE for the 99% of channels that don't use DD. Sucks really... in fact.. I am going to stop HBO and SHO and stick to renting DVD's for 5.1 sound.. since both those channels has SO little content really.. SO many old movies.. most of which are only DD 2Ch... so whats the use? Here's to 5.1 surround sound! (Mainly via DVD's)

I wonder if the new mpeg4 transitition will allow more channels to be done in dolby digital since it will compress the video as well. I have never understood how cable companies like Time Warner Cable can do all the premium channels as well as most of their digital channels in dolby digital sound while satellite can't. I suspect it has something to do with the receiver itself, having the hardware in it that can convert all sound to dolby digital. I don't know for sure , I am just speculating.

Thanks for all the replies. I have HBO and Cinemax and if DD is only in a few channels then it might not be worthy. But, since I'm a technology junkie I might just give it a shot and be ready for when they offer more channels in DD.

Thanks again.

RCA is just FINE for the 99% of channels that don't use DD.
In fact, analog stereo can sometimes sound better than DD5.1. The content producers don't always put sound on the other channels (lazy SOBs!). A good receiver will synthesize the other channels from a 2-channel input, and it can be REALLY good sound. Hopwever, if the receiver sees the 5.1 input active, it most likely won't try to enhance it.

I use the optical output w/ my 510 & get really good results listening to non DD channels in PLII (Pro-Logic II). Some of the channels like Sci-Fi, Nat Geo & others really sound great that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)