Dolby Digital from Dish receiver

TNGTony said:
As mentioned above, if you hook up a TV though HDMI, the TV is getting DD5.1 fromt he receiver. But there is no TV on the market that will take that DD5.1 signal and pass it through its optical output. This is by design to prevent pirating. It does nothing to stop pirating and is the most idiotic thing on the planet, but that's the way it is.

See ya
Tony

Not true. I have my Sony XBR9 hooked up via HDMI from my VIP622, then optical out from the TV to my surround receiver and I get DD5.1 out of my sound system. My neighbor has the same setup with his new Samsung C8000, and he gets DD5.1 as well. So some TVs will pass the DD5.1 signal through.

few

Not true. I have my Sony XBR9 hooked up via HDMI from my VIP622, then optical out from the TV to my surround receiver and I get DD5.1 out of my sound system. My neighbor has the same setup with his new Samsung C8000, and he gets DD5.1 as well. So some TVs will pass the DD5.1 signal through.

There are a few I've read that will do it.

Like I said previously, "it was probably something stupid I did". Went back through the input assignments and found that the audio was set for OPT1 on the HDMI input for SAT. I actually think I did that out of frustration when I wasn't able to get DD/5.1 over HDMI when I set the Onkyo up last November. Anyhoo, when I cycled through to ----- the receiver then defaults to DD/5.1 over HDMI! It wouldn't do this before, dunno why, but it does now.:) Thanks again for the helpful replies--appreciate it!:up

Ed

No, he's not getting 5.1 from a STB.
This is copied from the Samsung UN-46C8000 owner's manual.

When the receiver (home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the
TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is
a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is
connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to
hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite
receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater

No, he's not getting 5.1 from a STB.
This is copied from the Samsung UN-46C8000 owner's manual.

When the receiver (home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the
TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is
a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is
connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to
hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite
receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater

I was just going by what he told me. Apparently he was mistaken. But I am definitely getting DD5.1 passed through from the 622 out of my Sony.

woo hoo

Like I said previously, "it was probably something stupid I did". Went back through the input assignments and found that the audio was set for OPT1 on the HDMI input for SAT. I actually think I did that out of frustration when I wasn't able to get DD/5.1 over HDMI when I set the Onkyo up last November. Anyhoo, when I cycled through to ----- the receiver then defaults to DD/5.1 over HDMI! It wouldn't do this before, dunno why, but it does now.:) Thanks again for the helpful replies--appreciate it!:up

Ed

Glad we got you to go thru the menus and fix it. :clap Now it's partee time. :D

Do you know what audio settings do you have to enable? I just can not get it to output anything
but PCM stereo.

menu 6-7 Dolby Digital/PCM. I also have RF as mode (don't know if that is needed or not). Then that will be output thru either optical and/or HDMI. Most nets only have the stereo, only some have DD.

menu 6-7 Dolby Digital/PCM. I also have RF as mode (don't know if that is needed or not). Then that will be output thru either optical and/or HDMI. Most nets only have the stereo, only some have DD.

Thanks, I only seems to get DD from the optical out. I know my TV is ok because I can get
DD from my laptop using the same hdmi cable.

Also if I changed the decoder to "PCM only", I still get DD from the optical out, it looks like
the Audio Output menu has no effect.???

If you run the HDMI to the TV and then optical (or coax) from the TV to the DD receiver, there is your problem. No TV in the US will pass though from the HDMI input. It is some idiocy having to do with copyright owners trying to protect their DD audio.

See ya
Tony

Your Sony XBR9 only outputs optical 5.1 DD when the set's ATSC tuner is receiving a broadcast with DD. If you are viewing something via HDMI or any other source other than OTA the optical output is 2 Channel Stereo only. You've been missing a lot audio wise if you are viewing satellite via HDMI and using optical out from your XBR to your surround receiver

Just use the optical cable that you have plugged into the TV going to the receiver and plug it into the optical port on the 211. When you are using the receiver for sound just turn down the sound on the TV.

No TV in the US will pass though from the HDMI input. It is some idiocy having to do with copyright owners trying to protect their DD audio.
What? <sputtering incoherently> I'm sure you are right but does this make sense when the optical output is not so encumbered?

The only situation where that would be true is if you are trying to pass 5.1 through your TV optical out, which most TVs will not do with the exception of OTA from TV tuner.

I have a Dell m1330 laptop running MythFrontEnd connected to my Sony w3000 TV via
hdmi. The Sony is connected to my Onkyo SR506 receiver via optical. On my Onkyo
receiver I am getting Dolby Digital 5.1 when I am playing content that has it. So I know
my TV is outputting DD 5.1 properly.

When I tried it with my Dish 722k I do not get DD 5.1 just PCM. So it seems that 722k does
not output DD 5.1 via hdmi.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)