Dolby Digital from Dish receiver

Your Sony XBR9 only outputs optical 5.1 DD when the set's ATSC tuner is receiving a broadcast with DD. If you are viewing something via HDMI or any other source other than OTA the optical output is 2 Channel Stereo only. You've been missing a lot audio wise if you are viewing satellite via HDMI and using optical out from your XBR to your surround receiver

Perhaps I'm not supposed to get DD 5.1 output from my XBR when viewing an HDMI input source, such as my 622, but I definitely am. When my surround receiver receives a DD5.1 signal, the display shows 'Dolby Digital', when it receives a 2-channel signal, it displays 'Pro Logic'. I can definitely tell the difference in sound quality between the two. I compared the sound on the same channel through OTA and Dish, and it was identical. Both displayed 'Dolby Digital', and the sound quality was the same. I could definitely hear the 5 channel separation on both. So my audio receiver says it is getting a 5.1 signal, and the sound that it outputs is 5.1.

I'm surprised that I'm getting the 5.1 passed through, but there is no question that I am. The only explanation I can think of is that I have the HDMI output from the 622 going through an HDMI splitter. Perhaps the splitter is not passing the DRM flags through.

Okay... so it does. I don't believe it for a second, but lets say it does, here is my explanation... perhaps there is a "lock" that is supposed to be sent by your computer isn't sent via HDMI leaving the DD5.1 pass-through available when you use your laptop. But the 622 and 722 receivers and every other component known to man in the US will NOT allow a DD5.1 signal coming from an HDMI receiver to pass through to an optical output on the same device. It is done on purpose.

The 722 and the 622 do output DD5.1 via HDMI.

Okay... so it does. I don't believe it for a second, but lets say it does, here is my explanation... perhaps there is a "lock" that is supposed to be sent by your computer isn't sent via HDMI leaving the DD5.1 pass-through available when you use your laptop. But the 622 and 722 receivers and every other component known to man in the US will NOT allow a DD5.1 signal coming from an HDMI receiver to pass through to an optical output on the same device. It is done on purpose.

The 722 and the 622 do output DD5.1 via HDMI.

Well you don't have to believe me, but I am just reporting what I am seeing. Just wanted to
get an understanding of my observations given the hardware configuration I have access to.
I can not verify that my 722k output DD5.1 via HDMI because my home theater receiver
does not decode sound via hdmi, it acts as pass-thru switcher.

I have a 622 with a onkyo tx-sr876 going to a toshiba rp tv with a dvi input, In trying to output the onkyo with a hdmi / dvi cable I found I could not bring up the onkyo menu and had to use the component output with optical from 622 to onkyo I will have to upgrade the tv make the system work with hdmi cables.

If you run the HDMI to the TV and then optical (or coax) from the TV to the DD receiver, there is your problem. No TV in the US will pass though from the HDMI input. It is some idiocy having to do with copyright owners trying to protect their DD audio.

See ya
Tony

You are very much wrong.

My LG TVs are passing the 5.1 signal from their HDMI inputs to their optical outputs. My surround receivers indicate when they are getting 5.1 and when they are just getting stereo. For sat channels with 5.1, they say 5.1 Also, I have a PS3 attached to the other HDMI input of one of the LGs, and the 5.1 from that is also passed out of the optical output from the TV.

Well you don't have to believe me, but I am just reporting what I am seeing. Just wanted to
get an understanding of my observations given the hardware configuration I have access to.
I can not verify that my 722k output DD5.1 via HDMI because my home theater receiver
does not decode sound via hdmi, it acts as pass-thru switcher.

I have verified that my 722 outputs 5.1 on both the HDMI output and the optical output at the same time. However, I switched to just using the optical output from the TV, because the TV passes the 5.1 from the HDMI input that it is on to its optical output, and that makes the switching setup easier.

HDTV's do not pass HDMI 5.1. Period. Many receivers, when not set-up correctly, will believe the optical input is 5.1, thus displaying such. But it's not.

HDTV's do not pass HDMI 5.1. Period. Many receivers, when not set-up correctly, will believe the optical input is 5.1, thus displaying such. But it's not.

You are wrong, and you only have to try some to see that.

From the spec...

3.3.2.3 IEC60958 Audio Content may be passed:

3.3.2.3.2 To IEC-60958 or IEC 61937 where SCMS information is properly set and transmitted as “Copy-never”.

Thus far, audio is pretty much always transmitted in that mode because to do otherwise would be to prevent any optical digital sound output which would stop the vast majority of people from being able to use 5.1 at all.

Please do some proper research before spreading such incorrect info. I have done the research because I design some of this stuff.

Please do some proper research before spreading such incorrect info. I have done the research because I design some of this stuff.
Welcome to the forum.

You are the one that needs to do some research. I would not use the word "none" but virtually no TV will pass 5.1 sound via optical out except when the source is the set's OTA tuner.

I do not know whether this a cost decision or a DRM issue, but it is a fact and you should not quote a spec that purports to permit something to be done and twist that to say that it is in fact done.

I have a $7500 Pioneer Elite Kuro TV that does not pass 5.1 sound via optical unless the source is its OTA Tuner. also, I believe someone quoted the manual on another set in an earlier post in this thread.

What model TV do you own - one that passes on all 5.1 from whatever source. :rolleyes:

The research is on you. I've done it. Try Googling HDTV 5.1 through optical out. It's a well know fact due to DRM.

The research is on you. I've done it. Try Googling HDTV 5.1 through optical out. It's a well know fact due to DRM.

Well, clearly you won't see reason. Perhaps some of the others reading this thread will (particularly those who have done it).

This happens about every six months, trying to lead a horse to water.

I hope he will post his TV's model number.

As I said earlier, I do not know the reason that most, if not all, TV's do not pass 5.1 optical out when the source is not OTA, but I do not believe it has anything to do with DRM.

Take our Dish receivers. They are capable of sending 5.1 sound out via optical connection with no limitations. That sound, I assume, is identical to the sound that would come from the TV's optical connection if the TV was designed to pass the sound no matter what the source.

I hope he will post his TV's model number.

As I said earlier, I do not know the reason that most, if not all, TV's do not pass 5.1 optical out when the source is not OTA, but I do not believe it has anything to do with DRM.

Take our Dish receivers. They are capable of sending 5.1 sound out via optical connection with no limitations. That sound, I assume, is identical to the sound that would come from the TV's optical connection if the TV was designed to pass the sound no matter what the source.

It is. I have the digital logic analyzer to prove it. It's the same stream.
So far, the LG TVs that I tried all honor the sound flag and pass the 5.1 out.

It is. I have the digital logic analyzer to prove it. It's the same stream.
So far, the LG TVs that I tried all honor the sound flag and pass the 5.1 out.
There are numerous threads out there that report that many LG Models do not pass DD unless the siurce is OTA.

Are you going to post your LG set model number?

If not, to continue this thread is a waste of time because all you are doing is saying something is happening that does not agree with the collective expereince and knowledge of a large group of people.

Last edited:
I have one vip 722 and two vip 622 just installed. The installer told me that the HDMI cable is all that is needed to run DD as he ran the optic cable from Sony HD to the Denon
He was under the impression that the Sony would pass the DD to the optic cable. The DD light never came on until I removed the optic cable from the tv and ran it to the 722.
I now have hdmi to the TV and optic cable running from the 722 to the Denon and all it working. This is the way I had to run it from Directv also. My Sony HD(40") tv does not seem to pass DD(optic) out of the TV either.
I just changed it today as it wasn't sounding right either. My install was done three days ago.
I also had the exact same problem with the 622. That Sony HD(60") tv didn't pass the DD either but was wired assuming it would by the installer. That TV is also a Sony HD tv.
The installers are assuming the HDMI carrys the signal to the TV and then they pull it out of the TV to the Denon. We discussed as he was wiring and he assured it had to be this way, I changed it after he left to my way and now get the DD light on both Denon 3802 receivers by connecting the Sat receiver optic to the Denon. I run HDMI only from the 622 and 722 to the TV. All sound is handled by the Denon receivers.
Hope this help.

I have one vip 722 and two vip 622 just installed. The installer told me that the HDMI cable is all that is needed to run DD as he ran the optic cable from Sony HD to the Denon
He was under the impression that the Sony would pass the DD to the optic cable. The DD light never came on until I removed the optic cable from the tv and ran it to the 722.
I now have hdmi to the TV and optic cable running from the 722 to the Denon and all it working. This is the way I had to run it from Directv also. My Sony HD(40") tv does not seem to pass DD(optic) out of the TV either.
I just changed it today as it wasn't sounding right either. My install was done three days ago.
I also had the exact same problem with the 622. That Sony HD(60") tv didn't pass the DD either but was wired assuming it would by the installer. That TV is also a Sony HD tv.
The installers are assuming the HDMI carrys the signal to the TV and then they pull it out of the TV to the Denon. We discussed as he was wiring and he assured it had to be this way, I changed it after he left to my way and now get the DD light on both Denon 3802 receivers by connecting the Sat receiver optic to the Denon. I run HDMI only from the 622 and 722 to the TV. All sound is handled by the Denon receivers.
Hope this help.

This is exactly the way it must be done to get the 5.1 DD from dish HD receivers.

There are numerous threads out there that report that many LG Models do not pass DD unless the siurce is OTA.

If not, to continue this thread is a waste of time because all you are doing is saying something is happening that does not agree with the collective expereince and knowledge of a large group of people.

Yes, I'll post it tonight.

It's model 42LB1DR.

I also have a cheaper one, 32LD550. That one does not pass the 5.1 out, just stereo.

The 42LB1DR does pass the true 5.1 data stream out, just the same as comes from the optical out on the 722K. I have verified this.

It's model 42LB1DR.

I also have a cheaper one, 32LD550. That one does not pass the 5.1 out, just stereo.

The 42LB1DR does pass the true 5.1 data stream out, just the same as comes from the optical out on the 722K. I have verified this.

Your 42" set has a DVR built in and I suspect that is the justification for the optical out being enabled for 5.1 on other than OTA - just like your Dish Receiver/DVR is enabled.

Your 32" set does not have a DVR and, as you say, it does not output 5.1 on an optical output.

We've certainly wasted a lot of time on this thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)