Dolby sound carrier for PBS stations.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
In searching for a FTA receiver system, I have noticed some have a feature for dolby sound for PBS stations. I am quoting from one site- "Watch and listen (AC3 sound) to free PBS stations on AMC 3 satellite with this receiver"
The wording of these ads makes me think that the sound carrier cannot be received with a normal FTA receiver. Is this true?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

sort of

PBS stations on AMC3 use AC-3 audio output (dolby digital). You need 2 parts to make it work
-a FTA receiver that outputs AC-3 (Pansat 2500, 3500, Fortec, etc)
-an audio receiver that can decode it

Be warned...some receivers say they have a SPDIF output, which makes it sound like it will do AC-3 but won't :(

Thanks! I found a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic Receiver that has "spdif TOSLINK AC3 bitstream output" Since you mentioned Fortec above, I guess that this actually does have the correct AC3 output? By the way, I have no way to process this signal- I'm just looking toward the future. I assume that without the proper equipment there's no audio at all? Or might there be some sort of mono carrier as well?

Thanks again - I really appreciate your help.

123tim said:
Thanks! I found a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic Receiver that has "spdif TOSLINK AC3 bitstream output" Since you mentioned Fortec above, I guess that this actually does have the correct AC3 output? .

Yes, the CLASSIC has the AC3 Bitstream Output.

Just installed a "Fortec Classic" the other day.......... VERY NICE UNIT!

123tim said:
Thanks! I found a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic Receiver that has "spdif TOSLINK AC3 bitstream output" Since you mentioned Fortec above, I guess that this actually does have the correct AC3 output?
yes that will work
By the way, I have no way to process this signal- I'm just looking toward the future. I assume that without the proper equipment there's no audio at all? Or might there be some sort of mono carrier as well?

no audion at all...not even mono :(

I was able to pick up a discontinued receiver at Wal-mart that did dolby digital (which will work). One of them simple home entertainment systems

I have been told that you can use a creative labs extigy external sound card as a stand alone AC-3 decoder. Supposedly these do not even have to be hooked up to a computer to work. As soon as mine arrives (just grabbed one of that auction site saturday) i will post a review of how well it works.

Here's something I have wondered about - when you are watching a station that does NOT have AC3 audio - in other words, just normal stereo L and R - does anything come out of the SPDIF output on the receiver (such as a Pansat 2500A)? Reason I am asking is, if I wanted to run sound and video from a Pansat to a remote location in the house, could I just run a coaxial cable (or even Cat5 as the guy did in the other thread) from the SPDIF output and get all the audio (assuming a suitable decoder on the far end), or would that only give me audio that has actually been encoded in AC3 format (meaning I'd also have to run separate left & right audio cables)?

anik said:
Here's something I have wondered about - when you are watching a station that does NOT have AC3 audio - in other words, just normal stereo L and R - does anything come out of the SPDIF output on the receiver (such as a Pansat 2500A)? Reason I am asking is, if I wanted to run sound and video from a Pansat to a remote location in the house, could I just run a coaxial cable (or even Cat5 as the guy did in the other thread) from the SPDIF output and get all the audio (assuming a suitable decoder on the far end), or would that only give me audio that has actually been encoded in AC3 format (meaning I'd also have to run separate left & right audio cables)?
Yes (at least it does on mine).

Shawn

The SPDIF connector will output PCM (uncompressed) digital audio on non-Dolby Digital (non AC-3) channels. You can listen to this PCM stream with any SPDIF input-equipped gear (I have mine connected to digital SPDIF computer speakers made by Boston, BA 735's)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)