Dolby sound carrier for PBS stations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
In searching for a FTA receiver system, I have noticed some have a feature for dolby sound for PBS stations. I am quoting from one site- "Watch and listen (AC3 sound) to free PBS stations on AMC 3 satellite with this receiver"
The wording of these ads makes me think that the sound carrier cannot be received with a normal FTA receiver. Is this true?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

sort of

PBS stations on AMC3 use AC-3 audio output (dolby digital). You need 2 parts to make it work
-a FTA receiver that outputs AC-3 (Pansat 2500, 3500, Fortec, etc)
-an audio receiver that can decode it

Be warned...some receivers say they have a SPDIF output, which makes it sound like it will do AC-3 but won't :(

Thanks! I found a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic Receiver that has "spdif TOSLINK AC3 bitstream output" Since you mentioned Fortec above, I guess that this actually does have the correct AC3 output? By the way, I have no way to process this signal- I'm just looking toward the future. I assume that without the proper equipment there's no audio at all? Or might there be some sort of mono carrier as well?

Thanks again - I really appreciate your help.

123tim said:
Thanks! I found a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic Receiver that has "spdif TOSLINK AC3 bitstream output" Since you mentioned Fortec above, I guess that this actually does have the correct AC3 output? .

Yes, the CLASSIC has the AC3 Bitstream Output.

Just installed a "Fortec Classic" the other day.......... VERY NICE UNIT!

123tim said:
Thanks! I found a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic Receiver that has "spdif TOSLINK AC3 bitstream output" Since you mentioned Fortec above, I guess that this actually does have the correct AC3 output?
yes that will work
By the way, I have no way to process this signal- I'm just looking toward the future. I assume that without the proper equipment there's no audio at all? Or might there be some sort of mono carrier as well?

no audion at all...not even mono :(

I was able to pick up a discontinued receiver at Wal-mart that did dolby digital (which will work). One of them simple home entertainment systems

I have been told that you can use a creative labs extigy external sound card as a stand alone AC-3 decoder. Supposedly these do not even have to be hooked up to a computer to work. As soon as mine arrives (just grabbed one of that auction site saturday) i will post a review of how well it works.

Here's something I have wondered about - when you are watching a station that does NOT have AC3 audio - in other words, just normal stereo L and R - does anything come out of the SPDIF output on the receiver (such as a Pansat 2500A)? Reason I am asking is, if I wanted to run sound and video from a Pansat to a remote location in the house, could I just run a coaxial cable (or even Cat5 as the guy did in the other thread) from the SPDIF output and get all the audio (assuming a suitable decoder on the far end), or would that only give me audio that has actually been encoded in AC3 format (meaning I'd also have to run separate left & right audio cables)?

anik said:
Here's something I have wondered about - when you are watching a station that does NOT have AC3 audio - in other words, just normal stereo L and R - does anything come out of the SPDIF output on the receiver (such as a Pansat 2500A)? Reason I am asking is, if I wanted to run sound and video from a Pansat to a remote location in the house, could I just run a coaxial cable (or even Cat5 as the guy did in the other thread) from the SPDIF output and get all the audio (assuming a suitable decoder on the far end), or would that only give me audio that has actually been encoded in AC3 format (meaning I'd also have to run separate left & right audio cables)?
Yes (at least it does on mine).

Shawn

The SPDIF connector will output PCM (uncompressed) digital audio on non-Dolby Digital (non AC-3) channels. You can listen to this PCM stream with any SPDIF input-equipped gear (I have mine connected to digital SPDIF computer speakers made by Boston, BA 735's)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts