Status
Not open for further replies.

chastulsa

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
BUY NO GAS...On May 15th 2007
Back in April 1997, there was a 'gas out' conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight. On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places. There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up. If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day. > If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldnt) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th'

I dont believe this will do anything because what you dont buy one day you will buy on the next day. I think the only thing that would work is to not buy from an oil company (the biggest) like Exxon/Mobile. Then when there not making money they will have to lower the price to get you back buying theirs.

The only thing that will reduce gas prices is an increase in supply - not likely, and something over which we have NO control - and/or a decrease in demand. Some day we'll get the message and start working on that latter possibility, where we DO have some control, in earnest. Anything else I'd venture on this topic would send this thread directly to The Pit...

The only way it works is if you don't consume. Problem is, people are still willing to drive SUVs with only one occupant. Real men must drive the biggest pickups and soccer moms must have the biggest car available. I fill up once every two weeks. Odds are, I wasn't going to get gas on 5/15 anyway.

I hate to break it to you but Federal and State taxes play a huge role in the price of a gallon of Gasoline. They both average about 20 cent per gallon, meaning 40 cent of every gallon goes to the government...

SUVs using all the oil up is not the cause of rising gas prices, as much as some would like to believe, gas prices are not consumer driven, meaning the more we buy means the less they have in stock so the more expensive it is. It may become that way years and years from now, but we are far from it.....let me explain.....

The world oil supply acts like an asymptotic value, which is just a mathematical term for a value that gets closer and closer to another value, but never actually gets there. In this case, the "other value" is zero, or no oil left anywhere. Why would we never get there? I'll tell you why.....

Oil companies start out with the easiest (and cheapest) oil to find and bring to the surface. Once that runs out, they have to find more oil, which might be harder to harvest. As time goes on and the oil supply dwindles, it will get harder and harder (and more and more expensive) to find what's left. Eventually, it will get so expensive to find and harvest the remaining oil that no one will be able to afford it. The rising costs will force us to develop other energy sources. I for one am waiting on the harvesting of zero-point energy, so we can travel at warp speed "Star Trek" style....

All of this is light years away, not that I suggest saying screw everything and buy gas hogs, because it is still very hard on the environment, but us running out and tripling the cost of harvesting crude oil is not even close to rapidly approaching,

not buying gas one one day ain't gonna do CRAP!!

simple way to get lower prices
Quit buying big ass vehicles
Don't put all these miles on trhem

sadly with it spring here in MN people do both when they go to their cabin

So the fact that the current rise in prices at the pump is related to the stagnant growth in new refinery construction as well as the fact that there are several refineries either offline due to damage from recent fires or ones that are operating at less than normal levels ( %50 or less ) has nothing to do with the lower supply and the rise in price?

These things are so incredibly stupid. They don't do anything except shift volume to another day. You still have to buy gas, either before or after the 15th. All you've done is increase the volume on one day in order to decrease volume on another day. It all averages out to the same. The only way to have an impact is if you reduce the amount of gas you use. Buying it on another day doesn't do anything.

In addition to the fact that it simply doesn't work, you have those people :)wave) who think the idea is stupid and will purposely purchase gas on May 15th even if they don't need any. The best idea? Stop buying giant gas-guzzling SUVs and figure out ways to reduce your gas consumption.

FILL UP YOUR TANKS ON MAY 15th! I think I'll make that my new tagline.

I swear that I will not buy another drop of gas until my car needs it!

So there!

You want to make a change then buy a house near your job say within a 10 minute walk, retrofit your house with solar panels, add an extra foot of insulation to your attic, buy energy star rated appliances, get a manual push mower or better yet turn your yard into a vegetable and flower garden and grow some of your own food, ride your bike to work, get flouresent twist bulbs.

Go here to get alot of good idea's for living green or atleast greener than you do now.

Van, I live about a 30 second walk from my office. I use very little gas to make the commute. :D

As it has already been pointed out, not going to the pump on 5/15 won't accomplish anything. You are still using the same amount of gas just filling it up on a different day.

Now, if enough people would park their car on 5/15 and take public transportation, walk, bike, etc.. to work/school/shopping/etc than we are talking a slightly different story. That might result in lower prices for maybe a couple of hours or day or two. Once we go back to our gas guzzling ways, the prices will be right back where they were.

Now, if enough people would park their car on 5/15 and take public transportation, walk, bike, etc.. to work/school/shopping/etc than we are talking a slightly different story. That might result in lower prices for maybe a couple of hours or day or two. Once we go back to our gas guzzling ways, the prices will be right back where they were.

That is a much better idea. However, most Americans want something very simple and convenient to fool themselves into thinking they are doing something good. This whole May 15th nonsense is precisely that. It's easy and convenient and people can fool themselves into thinking they are actually doing something good...as long as they don't spend more than 4 seconds thinking about.

Iceberg said it best, ain't gonna do crap!

However, there is something to be said for a boycott of a particular brand of gas for say a month. Personally, I have boycotted Exxon since about 15 months ago. I buy 95% Hess and 5% BP. Thje reason for Hess is I get a 5% discount. Same for BP but they make you call up and request a check for the rebate. Hess just applies it to your bill at the end of the month. I don't buy Exxon/mobil, Shell and Sun. These are typically higher price per gallon anyway.

Many people don't believe in boycotts and I agree some boycott ideas are goofy, but we must do something to send a message. Selling off all Gas guzzelers is not the answer either, but refusing to buy one in the future is.

Those twisty flourescent bulbs you see at the store really do work, I first started using them when I was taking care of my grandmother years ago on a full time basis with my cousin. Her monthly electric bill averaged $130 (+/-) so I replaced all of the standard bulbs in the house with these new bulbs, I also put in a digital thermostat and cleaned out the a/c condensor. In total I spent $80 for the bulbs and $40 for the thermostat, after the first full month on these changes her bill started averaging $75 a month.

During winter months I put all the christmas lights on timers to allow them to run for two hours, this kept the bill under $100 for the month of december where as a year earlier it was $160.

There really is alot that people can do just at home to cut down on the wasting of feul sources and to save themselves money each month, we use the twist bulbs in our home, we also have most appliances on surge protectors with on off switches so we can kill power to stop the standby leaching of electricity wich does add up. The hotwater heater is set just high enough to kill anything that might grow in the tank, the pilot is shut off to the furnace after the first month of spring has passed to keep from wasting gas. The windows on the house face east west so east side blinds are kept closed till noon then west side is closed for the rest of the day, this reflects alot of heat back out and it helps that we have a 6ft overhang on the west side so the front doesnt heat up until around 5pm.

van has a lot of good ideas; we have debated those and many others in this forum quite a bit. The longest journey starts with that first step, one that everyone of us can take to "greener pastures". No need to panic, but everything we can do individually now to reduce excess consumption and the related wastes, including increasing recycling, are fairly painless means to an overall savings of maybe 15% or more. That would go a long way to slowing the spiraling cost of energy and everything else associated with it...!

This is another cut and paste job. Frankly i don't buy the claim that prices went down 30 cents a gallon in 1997. Given what prices were then that would have been an amazing fall.

Don't people bother to check this stuff out--or at least think about it before they post/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts