dont get signal when plugged into certain outlets

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jockomurdoch

Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
this started happening about 3 months ago--I get the searching for signal message, but if I use an extension cord to reach a different outlet, I get the signal back. Plug into the original outlet and lose the signal again. Both receivers act the same way, and if I leave it unplugged for a day or two it will start working in the original outlet, maybe for a couple weeks, the lose the signal again. One receiver is 5 yrs old, the second a couple months.

Have you used an outlet tester? Maybe you have a ground fault that does something to the receivers?

I havent tried that yet, but the problem seems to occur on all the outlets in the room, I have to use a plug in the kitchen to get reception. Do the receivers need a certain amount of amps or volts to work properly?

All the outlets in that room, more than likely, are all on the same circuit so if the circuit is bad all outlets will also be bad. The kitchen should be on a different circuit.

Was the house pre-wired for cable TV at one time? Maybe there is a splitter in the attic or wall running to that room that was never removed; those are NOT compatible with satellite TV and will need to be removed.

charper1 said:
Was the house pre-wired for cable TV at one time? Maybe there is a splitter in the attic or wall running to that room that was never removed; those are NOT compatible with satellite TV and will need to be removed.

I believe he's talking about power outlets. Never mentioned coax runs.

If you have HDTV and are using one of the powered multiswitches that might be your problem. If you get a no signal error in all rooms that are connected via this multiswitch than I suggest you check the following below out. If you have an electrical jack that has those red and black reset buttons on them go to every jack with these in your house and push them. In my case the jack on my porch sometimes gets wet from the sprinklers and causes all my rooms to lose the satelite signal. In my case I have a wall jack in my master bathroom which is about 2,000 Square feet in the other direction of the porch that I need to press the reset button to get it too work again.

I hope this might help you but just remember that if you have a powered multiswitch if that multiswitch doesn't get power everything will say no signal.

cheebs said:
I believe he's talking about power outlets. Never mentioned coax runs.

Oh, I would have not assumed that; my bad, I thought for sure he was talking about the coax/signal outlet. Oh well. LOL!

i am a senior tech for directechnortheast. and i have been on 3 service calls recently where that was the exact problem. we litterally replaced the entire system recevier to dish, and still the same problem(one was missing all the odd transponders, one was missing only one transponder, one was missing all trans.) we did exactly what u did and ran a extension cord fixed it every time. i talked to the engineering dept. at dtv and they said it is a bad ground(power feedback) we had a master electrition test the house power and found nothing wrong. then we broke the ground off the electric cord of the recevier(d10-200) and the problem went away. dont know if it helps or explains anything but thats what we found.

I'm a little leery of breaking off the ground prong, but I can get an outlet tester from work and try that first. One of the maintenance guys did say it sounded like a ground problem. Thanks for the input.

jockomurdoch said:
I'm a little leery of breaking off the ground prong, but I can get an outlet tester from work and try that first. One of the maintenance guys did say it sounded like a ground problem. Thanks for the input.

No need to break ground off the plug, just go get one of the old ground adaptors, ground goes into the adaptor and only 2 prongs come out...
Give that a try to help isolate, that should let you know if thats where you problem lies, but will not FIX the trouble, just a temperary solution.

Jimbo

you could also try to get one of those grey 2 to 3 prong outlet adapters and break the little green ground off the adapter. then you wont damage the power cord and you accomplish the same outcome.

### sorry diddnt see above post.

I used a ground adapter and that fixed the problem, for now anyway. I also used an outlet tester and it indicated an open ground on the circuit. What does that mean, and how can I find/fix that one?

jockomurdoch said:
I used a ground adapter and that fixed the problem, for now anyway. I also used an outlet tester and it indicated an open ground on the circuit. What does that mean, and how can I find/fix that one?

120 volt outlet consist of three prongs
1. short rectangle slot is hot or the 120 volts(suppose to be black wire
2. long rectangle slot is neutral wire which is the 120 volt return. Should be white.
3. The third prong(semi round) is the ground . This wire is usually a bare wire or sometime can be green.

If the tester is showing an open ground then the bare or green wire is open somewhere in the circuit. Are all of these on the same circuit?. If they are then try and go to the nearest outlet closest to the breaker box with tester and check and see if its ok. If so then go to next closest on etc till you find one that don't test. At this point the bare or green wire will be open between these two outlets.
I know this is over simplified but it boils down to you need to find where the bare wire is open. It could be in the breaker box itself.
All of the above goes on as if whoever wire the house did it according to code.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)