Don't you hate it when people ask "does Voom have a DVR?"

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
As time goes on, I find myself talking to other people about HDTV when they bring up the topic of new TV sets, how long it will be before local cable provide has HD, etc.

I am really happy with Voom so naturally I bring it up and try to make it sound really good, I try to talk people into going with Voom instead of waiting for Cable to come through with 5 channels of HD. Sooner or later some schmuck has to ask "Does Voom have a DVR?"

I hate that question, its like the DVR is the achilles heel of Voom. I feel like I am forced to admit Vooms biggest, well, flaw.

Oh well, soon enough.
--Dan

If I can't time shift I can't watch HD.

My first year of HDTV requiring me to adjust my schedule to the networks was quite frustrating. Since then I finally have an OTA DVR covering that end and what a relief. Last years season of Smallville would not have been seen with out it...

Then I picked up a cable HD STB. For four months I was able to catch 1 program a month rendering this service nearly useless. Finally they released a STB with 1394 and I can now time shift with my D-VHS. The first month I had 5 shows to watch!

So, what the heck am I supposed to do with 20+ channels of HD prgramming that is live only? :eek:

I know if somebody else offers an _affordable_ (read: not $1000) HDPVR and reasonable programming (hdnet and/or inhd, espn, disc, tnt, hbo), I'm outta here, the 21 exclusive channels be damned.

Barth2k, I subscribed to cable last month for their special HD DVR Promo. For $40 a month, I am receiving their digital cable garbage, 12 HD channels (HDNETs, INHDs, ESPN, DISC and 4 HD locals), plus free Starz-HD and Show-HD (they have HBO-HD, but the promo only allows for 2 premium services). The HD DVR rental is only $7.95, which is included in the $40 monthly bill, the DVR fee is waived for 6 months and Starz/Showtime is free for one year - no commitment.

I love the DVR HD and don't want to give it up. We purchased a 2nd HDTV set for the family room and only about a quarter of our time, or less, is spend watching VOOM in the HT room. The DVR has altered our viewing habits a great deal.

Anyway, the price of cable will double in 5 months so we're certainly not going to keep VOOM and Cable. I love VOOM - hate Cable...but I gotta have a HD DVR it has to be reasonably priced and VOOM has to provide a reasonable "Whole House" solution. With Cable, I can rent a single HD DVR for $7.95 - the other HDTV has Cable Card which can be rented for $1.75 - no charge for the analog TV in the bedroom (my upgrading the bedroom TV in the future will only cost $1.75 for the Cable Card. Anyway, you may wish to call your local Cable provider and ask if they are offering a sweet HD DVR deal until VOOM announces its plans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)