Doomsday Scenario About to Happen?

Does anyone know what fox channels are up? Seemed like the fox channels were grouped into multiple contracts where the viacom channels were all together and starz were all together

Does anyone know what fox channels are up? Seemed like the fox channels were grouped into multiple contracts where the viacom channels were all together and starz were all together

I posted this link a while ago, but it appears that the deadline changed. Oct. 29th (which is what both Fox and Dish stated in court documents) would have made sense to me - Fox would have had a lot of leverage from the sports programming side of things. Right in the middle of the World Series and NFL Season (for FOX broadcast channels) and start of NBA/NHL Season for the FOX RSN's.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/fox-dish-autohop-primetime-anytime-1201616159/

I think the only real one you may see interruption in is the Viacom channels.

I have a feeling Fox and DISH will reach a deal and Starz needs DISH, if they lost DISH it could possibly be the end of Starz. Their movie lineup is not what it use to be.

Yeh, I'd say in regards to Starz, Dish is in the driver's seat.
I think the only real one you may see interruption in is the Viacom channels.

I have a feeling Fox and DISH will reach a deal and Starz needs DISH, if they lost DISH it could possibly be the end of Starz. Their movie lineup is not what it use to be.
All they get now are just from Sony.

Read the headline and got worried, thought a cable company was buying out DISH. Whew. :D

Reactions: Juan
Their movie lineup is not what it use to be.
That could be said of pretty much any of the movie plexes; one or two good movies at any one time.

HBO has Titanic (1997) in hot rotation. I realize that a lot of the more recent movies aren't that great, but there must be something out there. I'd like to see The Imitation Game somewhere.

FOX and Dish, I can see them reach a deal with one condition on each side of the deal. That is FOX must agree to drop all their lawsuits with Dish and Dish must put a 7 day no autohop for FOX primetime programming.

Plus Viacom doesn't want to lose Dish. They are clearly hurting the most as cord cutter are taking away eyeballs from Viacom owned TV networks.

Yeh, I'd say in regards to Starz, Dish is in the driver's seat.

All they get now are just from Sony.

Wrong, they still get "newer" Disney Movies until sometime in 2016, any Disney movies released in theaters till the end of 2015 will be on Starz, after that Disney movies opening in theaters 2016 and after will be on Netflix, so Starz will have next year movies like Inside Out, Good Dinosaur, Ant Man Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7, after that it will only be movies from Sony on Starz.

What if Verizon bought them out..they do like mimicking att
If Verizon's stupid attempt at an on-line video service (targeted to the hip/young folk--what's it called? something 59 or whatnot) does not work out, I do believe Verizon will consider it--again. I say again because in past conference calls during the big news when AT&T agreed to buy DirecTV, Charlie had to answer questions about Dish having been considered over AT&T. His remarks were that they had conversations with companies all the time [about merger or buying Dish] and seemed to indicate that BOTH AT&T and Verizon were among those "companies" who had frequently been in contact with Dish about such matters. He did say that those companies (AT&T and Verizon among "others") undervalued Dish because he (Charlie) had positioned Dish for the future better than (presumably DirecTV) other companies with SlingTV, and his cache of wireless spectrum. He feels Dish is worth more than just the value of its satellite MVPD business side than what was suggested by those companies considering a buy because Charlie feels Dish is better positioned for the future: On-line service and wireless spectrum.

If Verizon's stupid attempt at an on-line video service
hmm maybe that's why they bought AOL at a premium

12196081_1095514303806049_8310404684204809790_n.jpg

Just look what happened to Disney's stock when ESPN had a tiny, tiny, miniscule drop in subscribers; and Disney has an enormous number of other sources of revenue (theme parks, movie studios, video games, broadcast networks).

If you think Viacom is going to play hardball this time around you're not paying attention. They can't afford to lose someone as big as Dish for even a little bit, and Charlie is the kind of guy who would walk around and talk like any blackout was permanent. A reasonably sized, but relatively small cable company dropped Viacom permanently and they didn't see any appreciable drop in TV subscribers. Don't think Charlie doesn't know that. Heck, he's probably already used that against Viacom in the negotiations.

. . . and the media companies are in something of disarray as streaming options appear to be growing, but they still don't get near the amount of $$$ they do from MVPD's like Dish. The media companies seem a bit flummoxed and don't now quite where to go and how far. They are still experimenting with price and access.

Further, blackouts have hurt the media companies (in lost ad revenue) more than the MVPD's. IMHO, I think digital rights and perhaps more content (perhaps more VOD) or more features for SlingTV related to Viacom properties will be at the heart of the negotiations this time around, with Dish not really pushing too hard for lower rates on its satellite service, so long as Viacom doubles down on SlingTV. Just an IHMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)