Dou you need a superdish to get a 811?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Do you need a superdish to get a 811?

Dish told me I would need a 2nd superdish in order to get a 811. On the dishstore.net website it says you dont need the superdish but a dish 500 will work. Whats up...I already have a dish 500 . Who do I believe? Im not crazy about having 2 dishes on my roof . Thanks in advance. Bob

Welcome Robert,

The only reason I can think of as to why they would say you needed a SuperDish is if you qualified for locals and they were trying to get you setup for them. Otherwise a SuperDish is not yet a requirement for HDTV thru dish. There are some things happening as far as satellites and channel assignments...etc...but this is not finalized and could yet again change because of some new legislation. Stick to the D500 for now...wait it out to see what actually happens with the channel allocations.

Jason

They could have meant any number of things... Here's what you need to know:
You can get the 811 working with dishpro LNBF. Legacy heads won't do the trick. I see you're from northern Illinios. Dish doesn't provide Chicago locals in high def(just standard def); you can get some HD networks from them off your first 500, but CBS-HD comes off the must-carry 61.5/148. I don't put up many SD's in IL, but maybe you can get it off 121?? If they'll give you a free SD121 upgrade-- Take it - it's dishpro. Otherwise you'll have to pay for the dish500 upgrade to replace those old legacy parts to get the 811 running. But if you have legacy recievers, you'll need DP adapters for them to work with dishpro stuff (x000's won't work at all).

Yeah SuperDish is really going to only effect users in certain markets to get their locals from what I heard last!

1510 said:
You can get the 811 working with dishpro LNBF. Legacy heads won't do the trick.
huh? Legacy works with ALL receivers
I see you're from northern Illinios. Dish doesn't provide Chicago locals in high def(just standard def); you can get some HD networks from them off your first 500, but CBS-HD comes off the must-carry 61.5/148. I don't put up many SD's in IL, but maybe you can get it off 121??
CBS-HD is on 61.5. 121 doesnt carry it
If they'll give you a free SD121 upgrade-- Take it - it's dishpro. Otherwise you'll have to pay for the dish500 upgrade to replace those old legacy parts to get the 811 running.
No you won't. Legacy LNB's work with ALL receivers

Robert:

The only reason you need a Superdish is if your locals are on 121. You didnt mention your location or if you have locals through Dish.

If you have locals right now, you wouldn't need a Superdish. Your Legacy Dish500 would work fine (contrary to what some people said).
Legacy LNB's will work with all receivers
DishPro LNB's will only work with DishPro receivers (301, 508, etc..the 3 digit receievrs)

1510 said:
You can get the 811 working with dishpro LNBF. Legacy heads won't do the trick. I see you're from northern Illinios. Dish doesn't provide Chicago locals in high def(just standard def); you can get some HD networks from them off your first 500, but CBS-HD comes off the must-carry 61.5/148. I don't put up many SD's in IL, but maybe you can get it off 121?? If they'll give you a free SD121 upgrade-- Take it - it's dishpro. Otherwise you'll have to pay for the dish500 upgrade to replace those old legacy parts to get the 811 running. But if you have legacy recievers, you'll need DP adapters for them to work with dishpro stuff (x000's won't work at all).
Whoa, 1510, you rushed through that post a little too quickly. First let me point out that I'm in Northern IL. and the poster asking the question didn't say where he is at. Second, Legacy LNBF's and Switches will work fine with a DishPRO (DP) receiver (3 digit model number, DP). Legacy LNBF's will work on 4 digit (Legacy) or 3 digit (DP) receiver, However DP LNBF's won't work on a 4 digit (Legacy) receiver without the use of a DishPRO adapter (exception is a DPP44 which has a built in DP Adapter). CBS-HD is only on 61.5 (East N.Y. Feed) or 148 (West-L.A. Feed). As far as number of Supers in IL...True the Chicago DMA is on a Dish 500, but every other IL. DMA requires a SuperDish. There's lots of Supers out my way. Again HDTV locals? Only CBS-HD is available thru Dish, and you need to qualify for that. You need an OTA for HD locals other than CBS-HD for qualified users.

Jason

Fine, every one wants to pick on me....
i spose every time i drive down to IL to install a 921 i wind up doing a 500 upgrade also.
i figured that would apply to 811's also. maybe its all coincidence. personally, i'd rather deal strictly with superdishes- but i gotta go where the route takes me. and if i can make a 500 upgrade happen while i'm at it -then thats money for me i guess.
so if i can hook'n'book on my 811's, then fine, thats what i'll do. thanx.

1510 said:
i spose every time i drive down to IL to install a 921 i wind up doing a 500 upgrade also.
Interesting. My 921 worked fine with my legacy lnbf's and sw64, no 500 upgrade needed. I did upgrade later to dishpro though, for other reasons.