Down the road

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jappleboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Hi, My Mom is moving down the road about two miles from me. Her ZIP code is the same. If i put a (swmline5) on her house can i give her one of my Receivers that i use. The swmline5 is the same dish on my house.

This is what DirecTV calls "account stacking". Simple answer is yes it is possible to do but, it is technically signal theft.

I have a dish up at my cabin and when my wife and I go up there, we just take a receiver with us to enjoy our DirecTV at our home away from home. As long as you aren't watching programming at both locations at the same time, it is legal.

As long as you aren't watching programming at both locations at the same time, it is legal.

no it is illegal either way.

now, truth be known how they gonna know? don't hook the box to a phone line or to the internet and they have no way to tell where it is. i know quite a few folks who do it. the ONLY one who ever got caught brought his RX to a bar to watch a PPV fight back in the late '90's. someone turned him in and even though he did not charge anyone anything, DTV cancelled his account and sued him. i forget exactly how much it was, but seems like it was over 20k the fiasco cost him.

no it is illegal either way.

now, truth be known how they gonna know? don't hook the box to a phone line or to the internet and they have no way to tell where it is. i know quite a few folks who do it. the ONLY one who ever got caught brought his RX to a bar to watch a PPV fight back in the late '90's. someone turned him in and even though he did not charge anyone anything, DTV cancelled his account and sued him. i forget exactly how much it was, but seems like it was over 20k the fiasco cost him.

That would be a HUGE difference.

I have spoken with DTV reps many times about this, generally in reference to a camper, and if it is the same household and the "vacation" residence is not used simultaneously as the permanent residence they don't have a problem with it at all.

Taking your receiver to a bar is a HUGE no-no. Not only are you crossing the DTV line, you are crossing some MAJOR legal lines too. PPV rates are VERY different for a bar than your home not to mention the residential account vs commercial account outside of a PPV. When you buy a PPV at home it is licensed for you and your family to watch it for your own entertainment, however if you have it in a public place, like a bar, they charge more because you are using it to draw customers to purchase more from you regardless of if you charge for admittance or not.

Your friend is lucky they only got sued by DTV.

In reference to the thread starter... what you are suggesting is highly illegal. The only exception I have seen to this is a guest house/mother in law suite that is located on the same parcel and shares the same EXACT physical mailing address (I.E. not box 1 box 2 or up/down, ect.). (Essentially the same household)

This is what DirecTV calls "account stacking". Simple answer is yes it is possible to do but, it is technically signal theft.

I have a dish up at my cabin and when my wife and I go up there, we just take a receiver with us to enjoy our DirecTV at our home away from home. As long as you aren't watching programming at both locations at the same time, it is legal.

The part about not watching both at the same time, I'm would find odd.

These do not send data both directions, they have no way of knowing where the other recvr is.

What about if the OP's moms house is in HIS name, would that be illegal ?
It would be HIS property and an account in his name, no different than having one at your weekend cottage.

It's not advised to do this, but plenty of people do it.

The part about not watching both at the same time, I'm would find odd.

These do not send data both directions, they have no way of knowing where the other recvr is.

What about if the OP's moms house is in HIS name, would that be illegal ?
It would be HIS property and an account in his name, no different than having one at your weekend cottage.

It's not advised to do this, but plenty of people do it.

Good question. I don't think it would matter whos name it was in.

I think the difference is being at both places at the same time. In a vacation home where you take your receiver back and forth, you are not using something outside what you normally pay for. You can even call D* and change your service address. Hence...not illegal.

When stacking accounts two locations are getting service at the same time. DirecTV is only getting a $5 additional receiver fee when they would normally be getting significantly more...hence....theft...

Good question. I don't think it would matter whos name it was in.

I think the difference is being at both places at the same time. In a vacation home where you take your receiver back and forth, you are not using something outside what you normally pay for. You can even call D* and change your service address. Hence...not illegal.

When stacking accounts two locations are getting service at the same time. DirecTV is only getting a $5 additional receiver fee when they would normally be getting significantly more...hence....theft...

D* is only getting the $ 5 per addl recvr regardless.
How about all the time you are paying for the 2 nd and 3rd recvr and only using one of them ?

If I take the recvr with me to the vacation home or up the road to the cottage, why is it a problem for the kids to still watch the one at my home ?

How about all the time you are paying for the 2 nd and 3rd recvr and only using one of them ?

If I take the recvr with me to the vacation home or up the road to the cottage, why is it a problem for the kids to still watch the one at my home ?

Actually, I don't see a problem with that either. DirecTV does, but I don't.

It's stacking that is the problem, multiple homes, multiple owners, one account. It's like sharing your cable tv with multiple homes on your block. That kind of theft raises prices for all of us.

Jimbo even if the box is leased we have a deactvation code ment just for boxes you may use as at a vacation home.

Bottom line the company feels if you and your family pack up and take a reciver with you to yoru vacaton home well that ok.

If your adding recievers to hand them out ot your family to watch yeah it kinda goes beyond personal use.

Basically we are still trying to be fair under the guise of personal use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts