Downloading From VIP612 Dvr to computer?

Starfish

Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
My VIP612 DVR still works but is no longer able to receive a satellite connection. I have several recordings that I would like to download to an external hard drive. Since the receiver is unable to receive the satellite signal, the receiver cannot receive the access code that the Dish technicians try to send me to enable the download to the external HD feature. They said that is would be possible to connect the dvr receiver to my computer but have not informed as to how to do it. Does anyone know how to get the recordings off of the receiver before I return it????? Help! Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My VIP612 DVR still works but is no longer able to receive a satellite connection. I have several recordings that I would like to download to an external hard drive. Since the receiver is unable to receive the satellite signal, the receiver cannot receive the access code that the Dish technicians try to send me to enable the download to the external HD feature. They said that is would be possible to connect the dvr receiver to my computer but have not informed as to how to do it. Does anyone know how to get the recordings off of the receiver before I return it????? Help! Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Without external HD capability, you can not. Recordings are Linux encrypted. Have you called to have service come out to see what the problem is? Or are you just assuming it's a bad receiver????

We ran diagnostic tests over the phone via Dish Tech support and they determined that the receiver was bad and they sent us a new receiver to replace it.

I'm not recommending this because I don't know how technically oriented you are, and whether there are warranty stickers you don't want to break (if you have sata cables long enough it shouldn't be an issue). So if you do what I would do and something breaks it is not my fault.

If it was me, I would do this.
- get the new box authorized for EHD
- open both boxes
- connect the hard drive of the bad box to the good receiver
- archive all my stuff to EHD
- put it all back together
Or, a variation of that
- connect both hard drives to a computer and use "Norton Ghost"

If the latest software is encrypting as it records to the drive, this probably won't help. Last time I checked (on a ViP622) it wasn't, so you could take a HD out of one box and put it in an identical box with no problems. Once a recording moves to the EHD or is restored back, it is encrypted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts