Downloading PG

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zhongyi

Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Is there any way to force the download of the PG? I often fall asleep while watching TV and don't turn off the STB, so I miss the scheduled update.

If you are getting a strong signal: signal quality above 90, you can try this (when you are not watching TV):
1. Switch to channel 100.
2. Reboot the STB.
3. Leave it on channel 100 for half an hour or more. Avoid switching channels.

Ilya, can I assume you need to verify the STB has been targeted for download after step 3(Help, Info, OK) before forcing a download?

Zhongyi, just looking back at your previous posts...did you ever receive your upgraded OTA antenna and are your receiving programming from all four or your local broadcast towers?

riffjim4069 said:
Ilya, can I assume you need to verify the STB has been targeted for download after step 3(Help, Info, OK) before forcing a download?
zhongyi is asking about the Program Guide, not the software update. You do not need to be targeted to get the PG. ;)

I have to turn my box off to even have a guide, if I leave it on it slowly fades away. The funny thing is, I can have 3 days worth of guide and if I leave it on for 24 hours, the guide is down to less than 12 hours. Where did the rest of the guide go? I would think once it's in memory it would stay there, but it doesn't. I turned off my stb for about 3 hours this morning then it went from 8 hours out to Monday night at 10:30. Strange.

I place the box on channel 100 and turn if off for 20 minutes. I don't have any problems using the PG, but then again I don't record and typically don't look more than a few hours ahead. The PG certainly needs to be squared-away before introducing the DVR.

Since VOOM has been my only DBS provider, can anyone tell me how many days D* and E* buffer their PG?

riffjim4069 said:
Since VOOM has been my only DBS provider, can anyone tell me how many days D* and E* buffer their PG?
I had a Dish 501 PVR and it held 7-9 days worth of EPG. I think the non PVR machines now hold up to 3 days. My 6000 is another story, it has to have the worst EPG on the market, it holds 4 hours if I'm lucky and when you go past where it's buffered, it pops up a screen that say's it's downloading Guide data, wait or cancel and it takes up to 2 minutes to pull in the next 2-3 hours worth of info, and if you sit on an OTA channel, it totally loses the guide. :mad:

Dish promised they were going to make a compressed version of the guide over a year ago and it still has not seen the light of day, nor has their beaming data over spot beams to eliminate all the clutter ever come to fruition.

When the Voom Guide works, I like it, I just can't believe that it won't stay current if the box is left on. :confused: (at least mine won't).

Lost PG

I lost the PG on one of my stb but not the other both units are off at night i have done a restart with power off and on ch 100 still no pg on the one unit any help thank you.

The PG needs work. It is ridiculous to think that everyone is going to turn off their boxes every night...why be on-the-air if that's the case?

What about those of us who do most of our watching or recording OVERNIGHT??? There's no way I can turn these things off everynight in our house.

I don't know how Vooms PG works, but DirecTV has no such problems. Voom, take notes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts