DP 34 switch

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I just ordered a DP34 switch to hook up my 811 and Vip211. I currently have a DP21. There is one cable runnning from my Dish 500 to the DP 21, yet the picture of the DP34 shows 2 wires running from the Dish 500. Do I need two wires or is one enough.

I really don't know why you had only one wire in the first place. Unless you were only feeding the 811 and THEN recently added the 211. At any rate, if you're just running one dish, then you probably have a Legacy or DP Twin/Quad. You will need to run a separate line to your 2nd receiver.

you need two wires to a dp34, because the switch needs a wire dedicted to each orbital.

You only had and needed 1 wire with the dp21 because it was only connected to 1 receiver

Yeah, I had two wires from the DP Twin, one to the DP21 and one straight to my 311, Now I have an 811 and a Vip211 and need 3 sat to each, so I can get the Voom on both receivers. Can I just connect the two wire fro the DP twin to the
DP34. The DP twin already combines the 110 and 119 signal, why do I need two wires. Of course, I need a wire from the 61.5 DP single.

Jerryez, if your twin is a DPP twin, and you only have the two receivers, you won't need another switch. You can run one wire to each receiver directly from the DPP Twin. The 61.5 coax goes to the input port on the DPP Twin. And if it's not a DPP, they still sell for about the cost of the DP34 switch.

Jordan420, thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I do not understand why you need two cables both carrying 100 & 119, but if that is what you need that is oK with me.
mdonnelly, Sorry, but I have already ordered a DP34 switch and it is intransit.

mdonnelly said:
Jerryez, if your twin is a DPP twin, and you only have the two receivers, you won't need another switch. You can run one wire to each receiver directly from the DPP Twin. The 61.5 coax goes to the input port on the DPP Twin. And if it's not a DPP, they still sell for about the cost of the DP34 switch.
He must have a DP twin because in the original post he said it was hooked to a DP21 switch. A DPP twin won't work with a DP21 or a DP34 switch.

BrettTRay said:
He must have a DP twin because in the original post he said it was hooked to a DP21 switch. A DPP twin won't work with a DP21 or a DP34 switch.
Don't know about the DP21, but the DPP Twin definitely does work with the DP34 switch.

I don't really think people were saying a DPP Twin wouldn't work per say. but that its use in that application is wasteful and pointless, because its function becomes that of a regular twin. Anyways dish says not to use a dpptwin with a switch for that reason and probably others, the poster below me just mention that it ended up frying the dp34

Last edited:
I did one of those on a service call, got chewed out for it, and had to go back because the 34 switch got fried (less than 2 weeks later). I won't do that again.

BFG said:
I don't really think people were saying a DPP Twin wouldn't work per say. but that its use in that application is wasteful and pointless, because its function becomes that of a regular twin. Anyways dish says not to use a dpptwin with a switch for that reason and probably others, the poster below me just mention that it ended up frying the dp34
If that's what they mean, then that's what they should say.

If it hasn't fried here after 4 months, I don't think it's going to.

Good for you, but I have to warranty (which means if I screw it up, I have to go fix it for free) this stuff, so I ain't pressing my luck. To be fair, Dish technical told me it WOULD work, the person who chewed me out was NOT an installer, and it could have been a kwinky-dink. None of that changes the fact that the 34 switch was toasted.

The same why some people say that a DPP 44 switch will work without the power inserter. Sure it might work. But its not made to. What I should have said is that the DPP twin into a DP34 switch will work.... for two weeks or less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)