DP-44 is NOT standard on 622 UPGRADE

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Well after reading all over this site that most dish installers are installing the 44, I actually talked to dish local (dish corp) installer supervisor here in Wa state. He said unless corporate puts a 44 on work order. They customer will only get 34's! I told him that from what I understood from Natelie and others on this board its the customers option if they want a unsightly in my case cable 100 feet around they home. He said he cant tell me what others are doing but this switch is almost 200 bucks and his division will NOT install unless told too.

He was very nice. Just too the point about it. I emailed my concern back to Natelie. I was told the 44 and that is what I expect.

Yes, but if you have a 4 dish install or more than 2 dual tuner receivers the 44 is a must as far as I'm concerned. I don't want extra wires ran around my house either.

lakebum431 said:
Yes, but if you have a 4 dish install or more than 2 dual tuner receivers the 44 is a must as far as I'm concerned. I don't want extra wires ran around my house either.

Then you should be willing to pay for it (its an upgrade, not required for you satellite to be functional), unless you have a 4 orbital slot location. I've been with dish a year and installed 2 of these. One was paid for by the customer (they were getting a 625 and 2 510s and like you didn't want the lines ran). The other was last weekend for a 4 orbital slot 622 upgrade. The DPP 44 is the ONLY game in town if you need to pull down signals from 4 slots. To top it off, this was a mobile home, and we hooked up 1 622 to 2 TV's. I thought we were gonna be doing a straight 1000 upgrade and losing the 61.5, but there was some channel the customer "needed" that he couldn't get from 129. I think it was a CBS HD feed or something.

Here is an excerpt from a memo I recieved with my paycheck today:

excerpt.jpg

I am in a position to qualify to get one. My locals are on 121. If I upgrade to a 622 on 4/1 and also add my locals, they would have to enable me to see 4 orbital locations.

Hmmm ... since E* stuck it to me on my last upgrade, perhaps I should stick it to them on this one!

The problem is the average consumer doesn't want extra lines running all around their house. The 44 makes satellite much more attractive as far as the WAF goes. I personally have only 3 satellite locations (110/119 and 61.5) and will be adding the 129 after the 1st. I also have 2 942s (1 to be replaced with a 622)and a 322. I think Dish makes enough off me that they can throw in a 44 for free.

Its funny that dish is bitching about installers using the dpp44. How much does this switch actually cost them? I know the retail price is like $200, but they can be had for $75 on ebay. Once again tightwad charlie strikes again.

HokieEngineer said:
Its funny that dish is bitching about installers using the dpp44.

Installers get bitched at for everything. .....meanwhile back at the farm, no one does anything wrong in our great customer service centers. ... pet pet pet. :rolleyes:

Tom Bombadil said:
I am in a position to qualify to get one. My locals are on 121. If I upgrade to a 622 on 4/1 and also add my locals, they would have to enable me to see 4 orbital locations.

Hmmm ... since E* stuck it to me on my last upgrade, perhaps I should stick it to them on this one!

Not quite so simple to "stick" it to E*. Even in this case, they will probably attempt to charge you the 199.00 for the cost of the switch. Really depends on which CSR you get. Either way, the above is true of DNS Subs. Dish will NOT pay for DPP 44 switches unless it is for 4 satellite locations, or it's to "save" a customer. We live in a 105 SD market and when a customer adds skyangel or something requiring a 2nd dish, customers are usually charged for the switch.

with the HD pack I also need 148 if I want to get 2 independant locals and a second shopping network. Guess what , I just started to like a second shopping network. Thats 4 birds baby. Guess what I WIN!

Another thing is that they are pushing the dish 1000 on us. Claiming that dish won't pay us for a "must carry" on these jobs. I think we all can agree that the best way to pull in a decent 129 signal is to use a seperate dish, and on the 2 I've done, I ran seperate dishes. I'm striving for reliability here. What good is hi def if it goes out everytime its cloudy? Luckily, we aren't required to turn in dish 500s (so far), and since the dish 1000 handily includes seperate LNBs.....well, what they don't know won't hurt them..... now will it?

I still don't know what I get paid on a 1000 upgrade/622 swap out. My hope is that the 1000 pays the same as a 500 upgrade, but I feel like I will be screwed on the inside work. I was once assigned a service call--piggy backed with a split run that the customer PAID dish for (it was on the work order). I completed it as ordered, turned in all documents, and was paid for a service call ONLY. I said WTF, they said "it was part of the service call, FU"----well, they didn't say FU, but they may as well have. Since when is a split run part of a service call? I had to repair the guys katrina debris damaged dish, and then hook up another TV for him. That's 2 jobs, IMO.

Anyway, take it easy on your installers. We're in the middle, and we don't get paid enough to take it from both ends. :D

JohnTenn said:
Not quite so simple to "stick" it to E*. Even in this case, they will probably attempt to charge you the 199.00 for the cost of the switch. Really depends on which CSR you get. Either way, the above is true of DNS Subs. Dish will NOT pay for DPP 44 switches unless it is for 4 satellite locations, or it's to "save" a customer. We live in a 105 SD market and when a customer adds skyangel or something requiring a 2nd dish, customers are usually charged for the switch.

I understand. But if I upgrade to a 622 under the promotion and need to access 110, 119, 121, and 129 in order to get my locals and HD channels, then as I understand it, all the dishes, LNBs, and switches are included in the promo price.

Oh Please... forgive my flaming rant.

Most homeowers cringe at even looking at the dish on the roof, much less two of them! Many homeowner associations forbid more than one "antenna", and yes I know what the FCC regs are.

Now, my 622 has been laying on the floor beside my home theater system for nearly 5 weeks. The last IDIOT that came out to do the install on the 622, stood around and picked his butt while trying to figure out the work order. Problem is, 4 receivers on a DP34. Only ONE cable is available (from pre-construction) at the home theater location. Absolutely no way to run another one unless they want to rip out walls and go up thru the second story bedroom above it.

So, I come here to learn what the hell is going on. BTW- the installer left and his boss later called back and said he was turning over the work order back to DISH, because it was incorrect and neither had authorization to do a DPP44 OR a Dish 1000.

Relentless calls to Level 2 tech, 2 emails to ceo@...... one return phone call from anyone in nearly 2 weeks and guess what - NO 622 is installed. It STILL sits. And you have the balls to say I should have to PAY for the DPP44? BS. Aside from another dish on the roof, the DPP44 makes the most sense but no body will do it.

Solution, Have DISH make sure their installers have some lattitude to take a walk on the wild side and get authorization if, when reaching the customers home and it just won't work like it was supposed to.

I'm so F*ing fed up with Dish, and incompetent installers, I'm about a half step from yanking all this crap out and tossing it in the alley- with a courtesy call to DISH to come get their junk!

Thank you kindly- Off Rant now........The sedative is taking effect.

iceshark said:
with the HD pack I also need 148 if I want to get 2 independant locals and a second shopping network. Guess what , I just started to like a second shopping network. Thats 4 birds baby. Guess what I WIN!

I just did a Dish Mover. 622, 522, and 811 involved. I got a very well informed installer who showed up with a Dish 1000 and dp34. I asked about using a dp44 and he told me they can only use them for setups that require 4 sats. He also mentioned that there just happened to be a couple of stations available to me not on the 1000's sat coverage. I said that sounds like two dishes and 4 sats, he agreed. 42 minutes later he had the authorization and started the install.

He did an excellent job on the install and I am one happy camper....:)

P.S. I am outside of Dallas, TX.

Y2k06 said:
I'm so F*ing fed up with Dish, and incompetent installers, I'm about a half step from yanking all this crap out and tossing it in the alley- with a courtesy call to DISH to come get their junk!

Incompetent? That's not fair. You should know that if we use equipment not approved or authorized by E*, they won't pay our employers for it, who will, in turn, charge us for it. Yet you think we should just "hook you up". That is the most idiotic thing I have heard of.

I'm not trying to jam you up, but it seems like the fastest way to get your system up and running is to spring for the parts you want. You buy one on ebay, don't tell dish anything about it, and you go onward and upward. When you are done, if it is functional and well maintained, you should get most of your money back out of it. It won't cost you anymore than a 2 story wall fish would.

From our stand point, it is one hell of a lot easier to swap out your 500 for a
1000, than to set up a second dish. That doesn't make it the best or most appropriate solution. Read some of the 129 signal quality threads. I'm in a subdivision with NO LOS issues whatsoever. I think I will toss up a 1000 to see what the best signals I can get will be.

What they need is a DP34+ that supports Dish Pro Plus. All their newer dual tuners from the 721 up support DPP. Why they just dont upgrade the 34 to support it is beyond me.

I had the same crap with my installation I had one line going to a 508, 721 and 2 lines going to my 622 (Because that is where my 721 used to be located)

I wanted a 44 and got a no go on it and gave me a DP34. I tried to explain that I didnt have enough connections on a DP34 for me.

He said my 721 would work with only one tuner connected. I only want to keep my 721 going because I got so much crap stored on it I dont want to lose it yet. Reluctantly I said go ahead.

He got everything set up and my 721 wouldnt work properly. Also my 129 signal was crap and kept dropping voom channels.

Next day I turned off the 508, reran some cables and adjusted the dish. I can get high 80's where I was getting only high 60's before.

Overall I am happy...and probably will grab a 44 on ebay down the road and maybe kick on one of those 508's again. But I doubt it.

When I did the rewire I ran the cable going to the 508 to my 622 and the UHF remote works great on the other side of the house, upstairs.

I guess it was Dish that lost out on that one. If I got a 44 they would be still getting the money for the 508 from me.

Sounds like we have similar set ups.

My ViP622 will go where the 721 is.
My 721 will go where the 508 is.
My 508 will go where the 301 is.
My 301 will go away.

I'll have to run another cable to where the 721 will be. That will be 5 coax to feed, all because I can't reasonably expect a DPP44 and use a separator. Could be worse. After the extra coax is run, functionally I should see no difference.

I just hope the ViP622 & the installer both show up on time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts