DP 44 Switch and Seperator

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

boatdrink

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
IS anyone successfully using a DP44 switch in conjunction with a separator? I have a DP 44 switch that works fine until you connect it to the seperator. After 5 days of troubleshooting, changing cables, connectors, receivers, and everything else I have come to the conclusion that the separator is bad. I had a DISH technician come out today and he agreed after he did his own troubleshooting. I tried to get a new one from DISH but they do not have one. The DISHTECH speculated that maybe DISH is not releasing any at this time because there may be a problem with them. Anyone heard anything about that?

Equipment
Dp Twin LNBF
DPP switch
separator
508 receiver
921 receiver (not functional due to separator problem)

Do you have a DP44 or a DPP44.

A DP44 and seperator WON'T WORK.

You need a DPP44 switch which works great. (See my review here on SatelliteGuys) :)

Sounds like the Dishtech didnt know what he was talking about. You can get a DPP44 from DishStore.NET they ARE available now. :D

Ok try hooking up the line from the power inserter Satellite to input 2 on your 921.

Do a check switch.

Are you seeing anything there?

Remember on the power inserter the line that marked to the switch goes to the switch, and to the receiver goes to the receiver.

If this works but the seperator does not, you need to have your 921 take a software download to support the DPP44 switch (the software just came out a few days ago) just turn the 921 off and leave it off for about and hour or 2 (two to be on the same side) then try putting the seperator in line. :)

I downloaded the 186 version of software by connecting directly from the DPP 44 switch to the 921 and bypassing the splitter. I tried all combinations of connections to the 921. I also troubleshot with my 508. Output 2 of the separator does not provide a signal. The dish tech also had a 322 receiver (two tuners) and that could not do a successful check switch with the separator installed but worked fine when connected directly to the DPP44 switch and not using the separator. Based on this, we concluded that the separator was the culprit. I just ordered a new separator. I have no other choice.

Yup in that case the seperator is bad or the jumper coax from the seperator is bad. (one of the two)

Although worst case is the 921 may have a bad tuner in it. But I would try the easy stuff first.

I'd agree with a bad line or a bad separator; if it was the tuner in the 921, then the 322 should have fired up properly when the tech used it as a test unit (unless on the off chance it is bad as well)...

Well, got a new separator today, hooked it up- same problem as before, No signal from one of the outputs. I changed cable to eliminate that potential problem but no luck. Is there a chance that two of these simple devices are bad? I doubt it. Dish's only solution was to run two cables from the roof. Duh, I should have thought of that. Why do they think that I bought this setup?

Three things come to mind here.

One is to triple-check that you've got the correct separator lines to the correct satellite jacks. That IS critical. Also, Try resetting the 921's switch matrix - disconnect all, check switch, pull 921's power plug, check switch again, plug things in, check switch.

Second is location of the power inserter. It's closer to the switch than the separator, correct?

Third is the cable run lengths. I'd say it's best if the separator is very close to the 921. Dunno if there's a spec'd maximum, but considering it's purpose in life, and E* history, it might only work with a 5' run.

Hope something here helps out. Maybe you could post the word-for-word results of Check Switch if you've still got trouble?

Thanks for the help, I have output 1 going to Tuner 1 and output 2 going to tuner 2.

I reset the switch matix as you suggested with the same negative result.

I had the power inserter close to the separator, I moved it to within 6 feet of the switch and had the same result. I also tried to place the power inserted midway between the swicth and separator. I have less than 125 cable run from the switch to the receiver. The separator is located within 3 feet of the receiver.

Well, one more straw to try to grab.

I just re-read the entire thread, and it's not been mentioned anywhere, and it's too damn obvious, BUT, you ARE using 2150MHz RG-6, correct?

And of course, you've done short/open testing on every cable segment, the stingers are long enough, etc., etc., every last piddly detail.

I am using RG-6, I don't see a MHZ rating on it but the Dish Tech checked out the cable and said that it wasn't a problem. I've changed out cables during troubleshooting. I have a dish tech coming out again tomorrow. IF we can't figure it out I'll try and run another cable from the DPP44 which will be a major headache. Cable TV is starting to look alot better.

After close to a month of trying to get my 921 to work with a DPP44 switch and separator I gave up. A DISHTECH came out today again and said that its a waste of timet trying to get this set up to work. SO he changed out the DPP44 switch with a DP34 switch and ran another line. After several unsuccessful switch checks we hooked up a 322 receiver and everything worked fine. Now it looks like the 921 may have been the problem the whole time. I hope DISH can replace it in a timely manner.

frustrating but fixable.

If the 921 works anything like the 721, it comes with a factory standard software installed, you have to hook up to a DP34 with both cables run directly to it (do the check switch and all that jazz), downlaod the current software, make sure the unit is activated and working off the DP34 after the software download (usually about an hour), Then connect the DPP44 and Seperator, run the check switch and it should work. Took me three hours at a customer site to figure this out and if DirecTV had a good solution for running over a single line, I was ready to switch over to them. But in the end it worked out and the DishTek I had on the phone actually learned something too.

Hey Drew - Welcome aboard, but did you notice the date on the post you were responding to?

Guess you were just practicing. ;)

You're going to find a LOT of heavy-duty talent on this site. Feel free to ask all you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts