DP Dual feeding a Dual Tuner with a splitter

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Some people have been wondering if you could feed a dual tuner from a DP Dual looking at 61.5 and the answer is yes but there are certain restrictions. The splitter must be a high frequency (5-2200 MHz), power passing splitter. It's possible because the receiver is looking at a single orbital location and there are no diseqc commands involved. This will not work for more than one location.

Here is an example of the splitter I'm talking about. I used a different splitter beause it was available to me today.

5-2300 Mhz 2-Way 1 Pp - PV23-402

Here are my results below with a splitter with power passing on both ports. It's been suggested by a couple of people to use a power passing splitter only on one port and not on both ports.

See this post by Tyralak:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1266872-post159.html

I tried this is on a 622 receiver.

Splitter used. (Paladin Tools bought at Frys)

attachment.php

Check Switch Results:

attachment.php

Both tuners showing different channels:

attachment.php

The first channel is ESPN HD and it's coming from tuner 2. Since I'm diplexing TV2 to a TV downstairs, I use a couple of cable spitters. The picture doesn't look that good after connecting the high frequency splitter. So this splitter introduces a higher loss to the UHF/VHF side of the diplexer. Besides that small problem everything worked fine.

One more thing, there was no drop in signal strength by adding the splitter but it did introduce a higher loss on the diplexer.

So there you Mike and Ralfy.

Attachments

• Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,971
  • Check Switch Results.jpg
    Check Switch Results.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,892
  • Both Tuners.jpg
    Both Tuners.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,974
Thanks Randall . I have some other questions for you.

1) Now would this still work if you put the diplexor before the splitter for ota support with no drop in signal for the satellite tuners or the ota tuner?

2) What kind of switch would we need at the sat dish to run three single coaxes into your house like you do with the dish 1000.2 sat dish for three dual tuner dvrs? Using only a dishpro dual and a 20" sat dish.

In this test I had a diplexer before the splitter for TV2. There was no drop in satellite signal but it introduced noise on the TV2 side of the splitter. I'm borderline with that setup because I have 3 2 way splitters and the 2 diplexers but I'd say there shouldn't be any problem with diplexing OTA.

Another funny thing that happened was that disconnected the 61.5 feed from the DPP44 switch to do this test. When I did that, the 625 lost the signal and that receiver was tuned to a channel on 110. Very strange.

RandallA-

No you cant use splitters on a sat feed!

J/k :)

Thats cool you got this to work with a single orbital. Please note again people that this only works with a single orbital. It wont work with multiple birds hooked up.

This is how 61.5 was done to multiple receivers (more than 2) before DPP, right? The DP dual went through a splitter to DP21's where it was combined with 110 and 119.

RandallA-

No you cant use splitters on a sat feed!

J/k :)

Thats cool you got this to work with a single orbital. Please note again people that this only works with a single orbital. It wont work with multiple birds hooked up.

We've done this for a long time, but it 1. Only works with DishPro and 2. only works if you are using ONE sat location (In this case, 61.5). Any more than that, and it doesn't work.

"2) What kind of switch would we need at the sat dish to run three single coaxes into your house like you do with the dish 1000.2 sat dish for three dual tuner dvrs? Using only a dishpro dual and a 20" sat dish."

Unfortunately the only DPP switch available is the DPP44. So for more than 2 receivers you'll need a DPP44 or put a second dish with a DP Dual lnb to feed another 2 receivers.

Thanks Randall again. I thought as much. I could always resurrect my other dish 500 in the shed for that second dish. At least now I can rest easy if the eastern arc service is relying on just 61.5 sat. I already ordered the splitters you recommended in post number #1. Shouldn't be hard to do all of this.

Last edited:
You're welcome. It's just a matter of replacing the separator with the splitter so it should be pretty easy to do. That's what I was gonna suggest to you, just order one and test it in your environment just to make sure.

You are a mad scientist. Nice :)

That two way splitter sure did have an awful alot of loss on each leg, -8 db.... I have some hollands that are -3.5 that are rated, I'm almost certain they are power passing on both ports.

You are a mad scientist. Nice :)

That two way splitter sure did have an awful alot of loss on each leg, -8 db.... I have some hollands that are -3.5 that are rated, I'm almost certain they are power passing on both ports.

That -8 db loss caught my attention but I looked at the Hollands and they're also at -8 db. The splitters with -3.5 loss are most likely cable splitters.

Here are the specs for the Hollands:

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/manuals/HFS.pdf

Yeah...number two is what I was thinking of. Except with a DP Quad and a DP Dual with four DP21's for four receivers.

No idea why the four receivers were all attached to 61.5 anyway (what SD content is on there?) but I've seen a few done in that way.

61.5 has been mostly Internationals but that's about to change. :)

2) What kind of switch would we need at the sat dish to run three single coaxes into your house like you do with the dish 1000.2 sat dish for three dual tuner dvrs? Using only a dishpro dual and a 20" sat dish.

Well, you could install a 3 way power pass splitter at the LNB or after the ground block and hook all three receivers to that. If it is a dual tuner, you just need a splitter at the receiver.

A single orbit DP or DPP install only needs splitters, no other switches are necessary as there are no diseqc commands, period. I would recommend using a DP Dual before adding unnecessary splitters.

Here's a good example of a home with multiple splitters: First splitter is a power pass so the receiver can power the LNB, all other splitters downstream of that only need to be rated to 2300 Mhz and those don't have to be power passing as the first receiver is supplying LNB voltage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts