DP Power Inserter For DP-44 Swtich

ramosans

Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Do you have to install a power inserter to make this switch work? Or can your activate it without the power and just conect it :eurekato your receiver?

If you want to overload the power supply of your receiver and burn it out then go ahead and don't use the power inserter. If you want your equipment to last and work properly the you need to use it.

The power inserter is only required if you are installing four orbital locations, or if you are installing only one reciver which is dish pro. If you have less than four orbitals and are either installing more than one reciever or one dish pro plus reciver, then the power inserter is not required. If you are installing one reciever it must be installed on port one.

i have heard of what elite is saying to be true. but i would just keep the inserter in place anyways. seems like it would be less stress on the reciever having to power everything.

The only function of the power inserter is to push voltage to the 4th sat input, and distribute the difference to the first port. It is not meant to be installed with less than four sat locations connected. Connecting it can cause reciever failure by over taxing the reciver tuners, the extra voltage has to go somewhere and if it isnt the switch it drops the power back off to the recievers. But let us be honest, with rampant incompatabilty of equipment and a million different home types and combinations of equipment, manufactured by a hundred different companies, installed by incompetent techs a lot of times. Ive seen equipment work for four years that absolutely should NOT have worked for one day, and perfect installations fail immediatly. So who really know.

The only function of the power inserter is to push voltage to the 4th sat input, and distribute the difference to the first port. It is not meant to be installed with less than four sat locations connected. Connecting it can cause reciever failure by over taxing the reciver tuners, the extra voltage has to go somewhere and if it isnt the switch it drops the power back off to the recievers. But let us be honest, with rampant incompatabilty of equipment and a million different home types and combinations of equipment, manufactured by a hundred different companies, installed by incompetent techs a lot of times. Ive seen equipment work for four years that absolutely should NOT have worked for one day, and perfect installations fail immediatly. So who really know.

I've installed 44 switches to 1 receiver systems and have had the switch not work AT ALL without the power inserter. I've been to plenty of Trouble Calls on 1 receiver, 3 orbital systems where the cause of the system failure is an unplugged power inserter. I've also seen receivers completely die from being connected to a 44 Switch without the power inserter.

I would establish one rule for such Elite (sic) Techs - once in a year send him to manufacturer's sustain group/dept and give him one week of troubleshooting and repair frayed DPP44s.

Thk you all for your input but, I am more confuse than I was before I post the question. Okay, I have 3 receivers, and i read the pros and cons about using or not using the Power Inserter. Just one question from a profesional stand point is it safe or not to uses? Plese simple answer.

Thk you all for your input but, I am more confuse than I was before I post the question. Okay, I have 3 receivers, and i read the pros and cons about using or not using the Power Inserter. Just one question from a profesional stand point is it safe or not to uses? Plese simple answer.

Use it. If you want verification, download and read the DPP44 Switch Instruction Booklet.

Thank you tastin, and good point about getting to the basics. Now I have to find the DP switch instructions or program guides. Any suggestions where I can find it?