DP Question for mult sat.

jmcgee_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Ok I have a 811 and a 511 now with a DP twin. Im moving to a new house that has a DP twin on it as well. So im going to take my dish with me and aim the second DP twin at 61.5. Now my Question is this. Can I take and run one lead from the 110,119 sat to a DP21 and then a lead from the 61.5 sat to the other dp21 input adn then run one lead to the 811 to get both sat signals? Or do I have to have a DP34. Obviously I wont need the 511 to see the 61.5 right? Thanks guys.

There is no 511, is it a 311 maybe? To answer your question, yes run one line from the DP Twin pointed at 119/110 and one from the 61.5 to the DP21 and the output to the 811.

I'm new to the DishPro stuff, so I can't give you a definate answer. But I can tell you why it probably won't work. With the legacy switches, you can't mix two of the same switches. The LEGACY Twins have what is essentially a SW-42 in them, which is why they can be mixed with SW21s in the right combinations. But you can't use two twins, because then you essentially have two SW-42s in the mix.

I know this is at least somewhat true for DishPros, because I know you can not mix a DishProPLUS twin with a DP34. The DPP Twin basically has a DP34, only two of the outputs aren't there. You can't even use a DP21 with a DPP Twin, only a DP44.

I would imagine there are one or more reasons why this wouldn't work for you. The most important is probably using two Twins...two identical switches.

You might be able to put a DP Dual on one of your dishes for 61.5. This would be the most economical solution. But that depends on whether you can mix a DP Twin with a DP21.

There could be other factors as well. I'm finding out that my legacy setup that worked fine for 110/119/148 doesn't work for 110/119/129.

So, wait until you hear from someone with more DP experience, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Whoops, Randall beat me to it. So Randall, you can mix DP Twins, and combine them with DP21s, but you can't use ANY switches other than DP44s with DPP Twins?

I'm not doubting you, I just wanted to make sure you understood the question. Just seems wrong to me, but you would know better.

M Sparks is right, the best thing to do will be to replace the DP Twin for 61.5 with a DP Dual or DP Single. Although 2 DP Twins work with a DP34, I'm not sure about 2 DP Twins with a DP 21. In theory it should work but it makes it more difficult to aim because you will need to cover the eye for 110 to make sure you are aiming through the 119 eye to 61.5.

"But that depends on whether you can mix a DP Twin with a DP21."
Yes, you can.

Right, but there's no point in wasting a DPP-Twin to drive any switch.

And yes, DP-Twins can be combined using DP21s - cover the 110 eye of the second one.

Umm ok im lost now....Some people say yes some say no....also wich eye is the 110 on the DP twin. I assumed since the DP21 is DP product and says it supports 3 orbital locations that a feed from one DPTWIN would give it the 110,119 orbital and then another run from antoher DP twin facing 61.5 to the otehr input on the DP21 would feed all the orbitals to my 811...and its a 522 not 511 LOL sorry.

"I'm not sure about 2 DP Twins with a DP 21. In theory it should work but it makes it more difficult to aim because you will need to cover the eye for 110 to make sure you are aiming through the 119 eye to 61.5."

I said I wasn't sure and in theory it should work. If Simon says that it works then it works. I've just read people having some problems making it work and that's why I suggested the DP Dual or DP Single instead for 61.5. You'll need to cover the eye for 110, they are labeled on the side.

Ok thanks I wasnt saying you were right or wrong just didnt know if it would work or not wouldnt want to drop the 28 bucks for a DP21 if it wasnt going to wrok for me :) thanks again!! I do have access to a old directtv single lnb would that work better for me?

RandallA said:
If Simon says that it works then it works.
Thanks, guy!

My basis for saying that it will work is that DNSC has been using DP-Twins for wing dishes for quite some time. That's a disclaimer. :cool: :D

Worst case, if it doesn't work, is to trade the DP-Twin for a DP Single or Dual - they cost around the same new, so a local retailer might swap you even up with $5 to the office beverage fund. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)