DP301 set up help

Jobet

Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I have a Dish 500 Twin DPP LNB system that we are tyring to set up with the two satellites (119 and 110). We are able to get on the 110 satellite with very good signal strength but cannot seem to find the signal for the 119.
We get the following on the Check Switch test:
Input 1 2 3
Satellite CONN 110 X
Polarity x ALL X
Device PTWIN PTWIN NC

Any suggestions? Thanks!

It can be a variety of things. If it was me, I'd start with the usual suspects; making sure you have the correct AZ, EL and Skew angles, as well as making sure the the mast or pole is plumb.

The other areas I would concentrate on are the groundblock or out of spec. barrel connectors.

Thanks for the input. We're going to run through all of the alignment again and will advise.

Can not get 119 signal

Still working with the DP301 and the Dish 500 with a DPPTwin LNB. The cable(s) are in spec and run direct from Lnb to receiver. The mast is plumb tha azmuth, elev. and skew have been checked, verified and tweaked to the max. Is it possible that the DPPTwin could be the problem? It came brand new out of the box and showed no visible external damage. On the check switch response it reads"WARNING: only one satellite connected" I have tried both ports 1&2 and get the same result. 110 is strong and fades when tweaking for a try at 119. I am getting to the point of "surrender" and may have to go to a "Dish" installer. I am trying to avoid signing up for a 12 or 18 month package which goes with all of the new equipment that I do not want or need. With using my current inplace equipment I can sign on without a "contract". Thus I would like to resolve the problem in house. Any input or comments are all welcomed.
Jobet

decrease elevation a little

Try decreasing the elevation a degree at a time and sweeping the dish back and forth (most likely to the right as you stand behind the dish). You should find 119 before you lower 3 or 4 degrees at most.
119 is lower and to the right of 110. it sounds to me like you are getting 110 on the LNB meant for 119 and you are looking too high.

Good luck!

Try decreasing the elevation a degree at a time and sweeping the dish back and forth (most likely to the right as you stand behind the dish). You should find 119 before you lower 3 or 4 degrees at most.
119 is lower and to the right of 110. it sounds to me like you are getting 110 on the LNB meant for 119 and you are looking too high.

Good luck!
Thanks for the follow up oldford, just got this off line at 9pm est. Will give it a shot in the am provided mother nature makes it bearable here in central PA.
Regards,
Jobet

Grab the edges of the dish and flex it just slightly. If you get a wild swing on your 110 signal, the reflector might be misshapen. To check this, take the reflector off the skew plate by removing the four bolts attaching it to the skew plate. Then set the reflector face-down an a flat surface such as a table. All edges should touch the table. If any of the edges are lifted above the flat surface, you may have a misshapen reflector.

As for post 4, the customer is getting 110 through port 2 which suggests he is picking up 110 through the correct eye. To check this, cover up the eye labeled "119" with your baseball cap and see if 110 is still present. If it is, the dish is lined up correctly and either isn't skewed properly, bad reflector (see above), bad LNB.

Skew can be verified by checking if the elevation on your dish matches what your receiver tells you it should be. If they match, then skew is OK because otherwise you would have to adjust the elevation from expectation to get 110 to come in.

Up and runnig

The dish (mounted on grade) was moved five feet to the east. The original location had allowed 110 to clear a neighboring eave but learning that 119 was down and to the right was blocked. Once the dish was shifted the signals for both satellites were found. Just a basic novice lack of know-how was the root of the problem. Many thanks go out to vegassatellite, harshness,webbydude, oldford and especially to Bobabird for their contribution(s).
Regards,
Jobet

The entire time I was reading this thread I kept thinking about 119 being obstructed, and wondered why no one mentioned it. Glad you got it figured out.

Sometimes the obvious is always the most difficult. Sort of like the famous quote "Could not see the forrest for the trees". (in this case it was the neighbor's eave"
Regards,
Jobet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)