DP34 looses Satellite Bird 119 in Night

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Following is my setup:

- dish 500(110 +119) with quad dp lnb: 2 cables to dp34 satellite input.
- dish 300 (61.5) with twin dp lnb to dp34 3rd sat in
- out 1 to 301 receiver (25 ft cable length)
- out 2 to vip722 receiver (75 ft)
- out 3 to vip722 receiver (75 ft)
- out 4 to pvr501 receiver (75 - 100 ft cable length)

For last week or so I loose all tp from 119 on all receivers IN NIGHTS. I cannot get any signal. Checkswitch does not help. even clearing matrix doesn't do anything. If I checkswitch during day. All sats comeback with good strenght.

If I recall correctly dp34 does not need power inserter as long it is three digit model number receiver.

What might be causing problem?

ive seen this occasionally:

at night the trees collect moisture and thier branchs sag lower. in day they dry up and branches no longer sag as much.

result - signal loss only at night.

possible with you?

other possiblilties, someone comes home from work everynite and parks thier van blocking your dish (pole mount) - happens.

someone puts up a flag in the day and takes it down at night. result : no sat signal during day.

any chance of SOMETHING like that?

Bypass 119 to DP34 and barrel it to 301 see if you lose signal. I suspect temperature sensative LNB rather than switch.

I was connected directly to dish 500 (with DP quad LNB) for 2 months until couple of weeks ago I added VIP 722 and DP34 switch.

I have recently upgraded my setup with used DP LNBs and switch from eBay. I am assuming that problem coming from switch

ive seen this occasionally:

at night the trees collect moisture and thier branchs sag lower. in day they dry up and branches no longer sag as much.

result - signal loss only at night.

possible with you?

uummmmm......there is mobile shot from back of dish

y1p7HRQOKCjLDULOt0BuQhIy0YKLxtUXOY1md5YW_Vp93DmdluMhRdiqZwWPFhn667I

I guess I gotta trim down these branches, but it has been like this for years. I will trim it and see if I still experiencing this issue. I dont think other scenario are applicable in my situation. BTW following is how DP 34 is setup

y1p-bh8cB64cvzKZmZb4_jreInInHa7Uyr9FmjYpWDF9rhUHT45Ypnlxr1CLycOjf10

uummmmm......there is mobile shot from back of dish

y1p7HRQOKCjLDULOt0BuQhIy0YKLxtUXOY1md5YW_Vp93DmdluMhRdiqZwWPFhn667I

I guess I gotta trim down these branches, but it has been like this for years. I will trim it and see if I still experiencing this issue. I dont think other scenario are applicable in my situation. BTW following is how DP 34 is setup

y1p-bh8cB64cvzKZmZb4_jreInInHa7Uyr9FmjYpWDF9rhUHT45Ypnlxr1CLycOjf10

hard to tell for sure if the 119 side is getting blocked from that photo. if you can trim, do it and see if it helps.

Hard to tell from the picture... but the LOS to 119 should be well over the trees (though the camera angle might be playing tricks...)

Ugh #1 - No drip/service loops at switch

Ugh#2 - Radio shack cable to receivers

Ugh#3 - Switch is grounded (not UL listed)

It is quite possible that you have some sort of external interference and /or a bad or going bad 34sw. Water in the fittings etc.

Hard to tell from the picture... but the LOS to 119 should be well over the trees (though the camera angle might be playing tricks...)

Ugh#3 - Switch is grounded (not UL listed)

It is quite possible that you have some sort of external interference and /or a bad or going bad 34sw. Water in the fittings etc.

10-4 on all of that.

not only are the dish cables not "drip" loops, they are arranged to actually flood the input fittings with a constant flow of water when it rains. not good.

As "boba" recommended, I connected 501 directly to dish 500(DP quad lnb) bypassing dp34. And guess what...there is no issue with 119 bird. signal strength is very good. I guess that narrows down the issue to switch.

Hard to tell from the picture... but the LOS to 119 should be well over the trees (though the camera angle might be playing tricks...).

Tree is not the issue, I trimmed it today and I am still having this issue.

I am not familiar "drip/service loops". Is it just to make downward "O" loop with wire?

I got em cheap. It says RG-6U on cable. should I get RG-59 ??????are they available at home depot or other local place?

Ugh#3 - Switch is grounded (not UL listed).
I yanked the ground cable from previous comcast cable module installed outside. Is it suppose to be GREEN Ground cable AKA UL listed?

It hasn't rain since I installed, matter of fact we are dying for some rain in Dallas TX. everyone was hoping that dolly hurricane would come toward us so we could atleast have some rain...:eek:

should I fix those "Ughs" first or replace switch?

Dolly hit the hill country...

So it's not dish code big deal. If you were bored and really cared you could fix the drip loops and put in a ground block. It's way to easy to nitpick a install.

If your in Dallas I highly doubt you'll ever have a LOS issue with your tree in the next 10 years or more. 119 is basically pointing straight above your head.

Be sure to check the stinger (the copper coming out of the fitting) it maybe a little short on your 119 input side of the DP34. Heat expands, at night it'll shrink. When using switch have a bit longer stinger.

You can also try swapping the ports on your switch, swap 110/119, see if your just having a problem with the specific port... if so DP34 could be bad. I most likely suspect just a short stinger.

If by chance you do need a DP34 you can PM me.

i have a similar issue, loose 119 at night.

no obstructions to dish.

running a check switch fixes the issue for the day usually.

then, if i do a reset by holding the front panel button in, it will actually recreate the problem and i will lose the channels until i do a check switch.

any ideas?
dish will be coming out in a few days to fix.

dvr 522
dish 500

Last edited:
Swap ports on the DP34 for the 119 and 110. If your problem is now on the 110 at night, then the switch is bad. If the problem is on 119 still, suspect the wire from the dish to switch or the LNB. The next step is to put 119/110 back in their original positions on the switch and then swap the 110/119 wires AT THE DISH. If problem is still 119, you have a bad LNB. If problem moves to 110, you have a wire problem on the wire originally carrying 119. Check all splices for clean connections, consider replacing wire altogether.

Jakdanyl, if you don't have other receivers or LNBs to test with, you're best to just wait for DISH. Otherwise, I would suggest trying a different receiver, then next a different LNB, then a temporary piece of coax.

stinger was the issue in my case. once imade it longer problem was solved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)