dp34s w/Signal problem

astra221

Original poster
May 31, 2005
I am in a commercial building there are 4 dp34 switches. I am the first person to use the building's dish. I tried connecting two dp301 and a dp322 receiver to the 3rd dp34 and I cannot get a signal. The reciever detects the switch but not the signal.

I connected my receiver(dp301) straight to the dishes lnb(dish pro 110 + 119, two separate) and I get a signal strength of 122 on 119 and 95 on 110.

Then I connected the dish to the dp34 and my receiver to the dp34 switch and I get a very good signal strength(around 120 on 119 and 98 on 110).

But when I hook up two dp34s together the receiver detects the dp34 but not the signal. I used two of the three signal outputs of the dp34 to connect to the other dp34's signal inputs.

The dish techs initially installed all the switches and connections and I cannot get a hold of them. I know for sure all the dp34s work because I tested all of them.

With one dp34 I get a signal, but when two dp34s are involved, I get nothing.
Is there a special adapter I need for my dp301s or dp322 ?

Can some one please help me?

Thank You

The 1st output on the lead sw34 needs to be hooked up to a receiver at all times I believe. Think it is powered off of the 1st receiver. Then when that is done you can use other outs as well.

I am on the second floor and the fourth floor has the lead dp34 switch and is not being used yet. Is there a special adapter that I can hookup to the first receiver input of the leading dp34(fourth floor) ?

There is no adapter. My recommendation is to move the 4th floor cables to either the 2nd or 3rd DP34 switch; seeing as how it's not active just yet.

Pils is correct with the fact that the 1st 34 switch needs powered up in order to run the 2nd and 3rd switches

Each DP-34 switch has to be powered, you need to run all four of the cables from your receivers to the first DP-34 or buy a receiver to connect to each DP-34 above yours to power the switches. I don't know if your 4 DP-34s will work the maximum cascade I rember on DP-34 switches is 3 for a total of 12 outputs. To qoute the instruction guide that comes with DP-34 switches "You must have at least one satellite receiver connected to each DP34 switch in order to provide power to that switch." "Make sure there is no more than 200 feet of cable between the receiver and the LNBF." :)

What Im going to do is, bypass the 4th and 3rd floor dp34s and connect the dish straight to my 2nd floor dp34. I hope the owner of the building doesn't give me hard time.

Thank you guys so much for your help.

Yeah, just bypass the other floors. Just make sure to mark everything and keep it straight. Then the owner shouldn't say too much.

I bypassed the other floors today and I made everything look proper.

One question, I will try to make sence so bare with me; if I have 110 on the 1st signal input of the leading dp34 and 119 on the 2nd signal input of the leading dp34, then the signal output of the leading dp34 going into a second dp34 switch. Then on the second dp34 switch if I have 119 on the 1st signal input and 110 on the 2nd signal input. Well this give me a signal on the second dp34 or not?

Never tried that. Good luck tryin'. Depends on the guts of the DP34, which I've never seen. My guess is that it will work fine, unless there's some cascading/voltage rules.

My understanding of the whole cascading DP34's are that you HAVE! to be consistent with your satellite inputs. If port 1 is for the 110 on the 1st switch, then it has to remain the same for the other switches. No flip-flopping of port1/port2 with 110/119

webbydude said:
My understanding of the whole cascading DP34's are that you HAVE! to be consistent with your satellite inputs. If port 1 is for the 110 on the 1st switch, then it has to remain the same for the other switches. No flip-flopping of port1/port2 with 110/119
I doubt that very much.

The second+ switches have no idea that they aren't "alone".

That being said, 119 should always be in port #1, 110 in port #2. This is so that on default power-up of everything, the receivers see 119 - which is the primary bird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts