DPP 44 died - replacement switch DOA

ctcohen04

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Dish sent me a remanufactured DPP 44. My first thought when it arrived is this could be good - original bad/weak parts replaced and checked out. Unfortunately, I suspect that they just sent me a bad one that had been returned by someone else. The remanufactured replacement did not come with a power inserter so I used my original one. I do have to wonder if the problem is the power inserter somehow frying my original switch, which worked fine for 6 weeks, and frying the replacement. I wish now I had tried the replacement without the power inserter first. Oh well.

Dish would not send me a second replacement. Have a Monday pm service call scheduled, but have already been told by the contractor that "we don't have the parts and we have no expected date". I suspect I will get a call Monday morning to reschedule for a later date.

Since my DP 34 works fine ( but only supplies 2 of my 3 dual tuners) off the Dish 1000 I am considering buying a second DP 34, running 2 fairly easy coax lines and calling it done.

TC

I'm getting ready to buy one of these switches. Do you have to use the power converter? or will it work along side my two DP 34's without power? Where is best place to buy one? eBay?

Answers appreciated.

I have a 622 & 625 (DPP receivers) connected to a DPP44 and do not have the power inserter connected since there was a post a week or two ago saying that it wasn't necessary w/ certain Dish receivers.

swatson1, how many receivers do you have? I don't think you can cascade a DPP44 off a DP34. If you need to hook up additional receivers get a 3rd DP34, or if you want to run a single coax to the new DPP dual tuner receivers get a DPP44.

Called Dish tech support today. They told me I could use the DP 34 switch with 2 receiver feeds coming out and connecting into a DP separator (combining the signal), then into the single cable going through the walls to the receiver, then add another DP separator to split the signal into 2 for the 942 (2 tuner receiver).

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? They are saying to use 2 DP Plus Separators.

swatson1 said:
Called Dish tech support today. They told me I could use the DP 34 switch with 2 receiver feeds coming out and connecting into a DP separator (combining the signal), then into the single cable going through the walls to the receiver, then add another DP separator to split the signal into 2 for the 942 (2 tuner receiver).

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? They are saying to use 2 DP Plus Separators.

This is the first time I hear this one, let us know if it works. As far as I know you need DPP switches or DPP lnbs to make the DP separator work with dual tuners. Sounds like someone at Dish Network was thinking about diplexers.

swatson1 said:

Nope, will not work!

BTW, in responce to the DP44 Question, Dish has been sending out the parts seperatly for a while now.

If you got a volt meter, I believe the voltage coming out of the power inserter should be 20 volts. Might not hurt to check it.

BTW, I seriously doubt you have another bad switch. I have sold several hundred of those switches and have only gotten 3-4 bad ones back!

device manager said:
I have a 622 & 625 (DPP receivers) connected to a DPP44 and do not have the power inserter connected since there was a post a week or two ago saying that it wasn't necessary w/ certain Dish receivers.

swatson1, how many receivers do you have? I don't think you can cascade a DPP44 off a DP34. If you need to hook up additional receivers get a 3rd DP34, or if you want to run a single coax to the new DPP dual tuner receivers get a DPP44.

Thats a first, but it does make sense now that I think about it.

device manager said:

This is a hardware bug with the switch and it will eventualy stop working so you need to put that power inserter in the system wether you like it or not. I have seen this same issue work and then fail later down the road and now that there are people on the forum saying that you dont have to use all the required parts then there are people believing them and doing the same thing much like one person telling others its safe to dive into an empty swimming pool.

A happy ending to my story

Linkus tech came out today and put in a NEW DPP 44 and a new power inserter and voila - it works. Dish could have saved money if they had just sent me a new DPP 44 and power inserter instead of the DOA remanufactured one.

TC

How many dual tuners

My understanding is that Dish will only allow a customer to lease 4 tuners - any combination of single or dual.

You can have more than the 4 if you own the additional receivers

Terry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)