Dpp 44

fchall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 8, 2006
Pac.NW-Near Mount Olympus
DVR 625 and 301
Using a DP Plus Twin LNB with the DP44 switch.
Is the power inserter module needed?
I was under the impression that the DP44 was powered from the receiver.

A DPP44 "appears" to work (I am not sure how reliably or for how long) if a powered DishPro receiver exists on port 1. I discovered this completely by accident over the weekend.

Just for thoses interested, I have a vip622 and a 522, both are dual tuners and I have the Pro Plus equipment! My Dpp44 switch will not work when I plug it in it only recognizies 119! Works just fine when not plugged in so I took it off and put it in the closet!

So are you saying that a 622 connected to port 1 will power the DPP44 without a power inserter?

If so, will it power it if you are using a DPP Seperator?

If not will a 510 power the DPP44 on port 1?

Last edited:
All's I know is this is what happened.

I had the power inserter on port 1, and 522s with separators on ports 3 (downstairs) and 4 (upstairs). I decided to move the power inserter upstairs where the better UPS is so I removed the inserter. As expected, both 522s lost signal.

I moved the feed from port 4 to port 1 and they both came on again (at this point the DPP44 was powered only by the 522 upstairs). Then I put the power inserter in the line to port 1.

Pepper said:
All's I know is this is what happened.

I had the power inserter on port 1, and 522s with separators on ports 3 (downstairs) and 4 (upstairs). I decided to move the power inserter upstairs where the better UPS is so I removed the inserter. As expected, both 522s lost signal.

I moved the feed from port 4 to port 1 and they both came on again (at this point the DPP44 was powered only by the 522 upstairs). Then I put the power inserter in the line to port 1.

So with the 522 (with seperators) plugged into Port 1 WITHOUT the Power inserter worked????

I have another experiment.

If you have the 522 (with the seperator and without the power inserter) plugged into port 1 and your turn the 522 OFF.... will you loose the other 522?

My logic is that you need the receiver to be powered-on for it to power the DPP44

Is this correct?

I was told by the installer that the power inserter is only need if you are running a reciever that is not DP compliant.

i.e A 622 and a 508....The 508 would need the power inserter the 622 would not.

Paradox-SJ said:
I was told by the installer that the power inserter is only need if you are running a reciever that is not DP compliant.

i.e A 622 and a 508....The 508 would need the power inserter the 622 would not.

The 508 is a DP compliant receiver. Do you mean a DPP receiver? The 622 is a DPP receiver, the 508 is not.

Cokeswigga said:
So with the 522 (with seperators) plugged into Port 1 WITHOUT the Power inserter worked????

I have another experiment.

If you have the 522 (with the seperator and without the power inserter) plugged into port 1 and your turn the 522 OFF.... will you loose the other 522?

My logic is that you need the receiver to be powered-on for it to power the DPP44

Is this correct?
It was powered off. However, the only way to "really" turn off a Dish DVR is to pull the plug, otherwise it's still sitting there receiving (and powering the LNBF/switch).

DN documentation says that you need two DishPro receiver connected to DPP44 to power it. If not, a power inserter has to be used on port #1.

I confirmed the usage of the a 510 connected to Port 1 will power a DPP 44 Switch. I've disconnected the power inserter and all the receivers are working.
I have a 622 connected to ports 2 and 3 and 311 connected to port 4

well as i stated before. I removed the power plug for the power inserter and i lost all my signals. When i plugged it back in it worked.
I have the 942 on Port #1 and a 510 and 501 connected also.
The 942 is going through a seperator and i did not actually remove the power inserter from the cabling. Not sure if that makes a difference.

This makes sense. I had an upgrade a few weeks back that called for a 625 to replace the existing 301s. Customer also had (2) 510 receivers. At any rate, when I tried hooking up one of the 510s to port one along with the power inserter, nothing would work. Just for the hell of it, I bypassed the power inserter...and lo' and behold...EVERYTHING worked fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still a little confused. But I'll experiment some this weekend.

Currently the 301 upstairs is on port 1 with the power inserter.
I'll put the 625 over to port one and leave out the power inserter and see what happens.

Wish me luck and I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks Again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)