DPP Seperator..... how close or far???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kryspy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I am upgrading my ExpressVU 9242 (722 ish) to a DPP Twin and DPP seperator. Can I place the seperator say in my drop ceiling with like 12-15 feet of coax after it or does it need to be really close to the back of the receiver with only say a foot of coax off each side?

Kryspy

Kryspy,

Since the seperator splits frequencies (high/low) onto the 2 coax into Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 I would think there is no limit to the length. Since the advantage of the DPP and separator is needing only 1 coax to the separator (close to the box) having 15' of 2 runs is kind of unusual. But I would think it will work.

Miner

doesnt matter how far they are...just make sure you have cables rated up to 2200mhz (preferably 3000mhz aka 3 GHz)

The coax Dish provides with the Separator may have the proper swept rating, but they are among the most rigid (i.e., inflexible) pieces of coax I've ever encountered. I'm making a couple of my own using the very nice, very soft, and very flexible 3GHz RG6 coax my installer left me, along with some Gilbert RG6 compression connectors. Otherwise one has to add another 8" of space behind the unit to accommodate the 2 straight as an arrow coax shunts from the Separator to the receiver. Any bend in the OEM coax configuration produces signal interference.

Thanks,

My reason is that I have coax joined in my drop ceiling already with high quality barrel connectors. Putting the seperator there would just mean one less connection for me and therefore possible loss in signal.

Kryspy

Thanks,

My reason is that I have coax joined in my drop ceiling already with high quality barrel connectors. Putting the seperator there would just mean one less connection for me and therefore possible loss in signal.

Kryspy

Won't you still have TWO coax line running down from your drop ceiling instead of just one? Or would you have to hide both of them. The couple of points you may loose due to using the barrel connector could be made up by fine tuning the pointing of the dish.

I already have 2 drops going to the receiver now.

Anyhow, I think I am going to use the seperator at the receiver and use the other drop to back feed the 9242 to another TV in the house.

Kryspy

Connection loss through a quality barrel is so negligible that it shouldn't even be a factor. As long as barrel is inside out of the weather, it should never give a problem.

Definitely use Dish approved 3GHz barrel connectors. My installer was adamant about that, but didn't care that my main coax feeds were swept to only 2300 MHz instead 3 GHz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts